java crashes browsers - Slackware

This is a discussion on java crashes browsers - Slackware ; I have three slackware machines at the moment, 10.2 and 2x11.0 All three have the jre package and firefox, when going to a page that runs some java applet the browser chrashes, on all three machines. I tried putting other ...

  1. java crashes browsers

    I have three slackware machines at the moment, 10.2 and 2x11.0
    All three have the jre package and firefox, when going to a page that runs
    some java applet the browser chrashes, on all three machines.

    I tried putting other jre releases, but same thing happens. Then I tried
    Opera... and it crashed too.

    Is this some common thing?

  2. Re: java crashes browsers

    Kukuruza wrote:
    > Is this some common thing?

    No.

    In the Firefox plugins directory, you should have a symbolic link that
    looks like this (ls -l):

    libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
    /usr/lib/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.

    That's in /firefox/plugins.

  3. Re: java crashes browsers

    Thomas Ronayne wrote:

    > In the Firefox plugins directory, you should have a symbolic link that

    Ofcourse I have the link, I said I installed jre didn't I?

    I rarely use java apps... maybe once a year. However I will need it and then
    it will crash, and it's such a trivial thing. I could make a guess or two
    why it happens if it was one isolated case... but on THREE slack machines,
    with diffrent jre and browsers tried?! :|

    One other fact is that I can run standalone java apps without any issues.

  4. Re: java crashes browsers

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:59:21 +0200, Kukuruza wrote:

    > I have three slackware machines at the moment, 10.2 and 2x11.0 All three
    > have the jre package and firefox, when going to a page that runs some
    > java applet the browser chrashes, on all three machines.
    >
    > I tried putting other jre releases, but same thing happens. Then I tried
    > Opera... and it crashed too.
    >
    > Is this some common thing?

    No, and it hasn't been since Slackware-7.0 at least.

    BTW, did you ask permission to use that email address?

  5. Re: java crashes browsers

    In article <13h2i9v961p8ode@news.supernews.com>, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:59:21 +0200, Kukuruza wrote:
    >
    >> I have three slackware machines at the moment, 10.2 and 2x11.0 All three
    >> have the jre package and firefox, when going to a page that runs some
    >> java applet the browser chrashes, on all three machines.
    >>
    >> I tried putting other jre releases, but same thing happens. Then I tried
    >> Opera... and it crashed too.

    Is it JVM that crashes?
    Do you have a stack trace?

    --
    Get yourself the most powerful tool for usenet you ever heard of.

    Version 4.0.1 Hail Democracy Release has been released.

    Important feature additions and various improvements
    and optimizations.

    Web page:

    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/
    or