Firefox vs. Youtube - Slackware

This is a discussion on Firefox vs. Youtube - Slackware ; Hi, One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music videos (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...). Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing, leaving behind three or four ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Firefox vs. Youtube

    Hi,

    One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music videos
    (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).

    Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    leaving behind three or four zombie processes.

    What can a poor boy do?

    Niki

  2. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Le Tue, 09 Oct 2007 20:46:07 +0000, Niki Kovacs a √©crit¬*:

    > Hi,
    >
    > One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music
    > videos (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).
    >
    > Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    > leaving behind three or four zombie processes.
    >
    > What can a poor boy do?

    Hmmmm. There's a series of manipulations on certains webpages that always
    seem to bring Firefox down (example: hitting the back button on a search
    results page on youtube.com). I just tried the same with Seamonkey, and
    it doesn't crash. Add this to the fact that over the last months,
    Thunderbird mysteriously "lost" some of my messages, I'm seriously
    considering giving up the highly acclaimed wonder duo Firefox/Thunderbird
    in favour of Seamonkey/Mozilla Mail or maybe Sylpheed Claws. I need
    applications for a rock-solid production desktop, and behaviour like this
    is no good.

    I'm curious about your opinion. Please, no troll intended.

    Niki

  3. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music videos
    > (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).
    >
    > Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    > leaving behind three or four zombie processes.
    >
    > What can a poor boy do?

    For the 'noise' install _full_ Marantz set, for the 'video' get a ticket
    to show. ( In some cases it should be for a 'seans', don't know the
    quality of display(?!)

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw

    > Niki

  4. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Le Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:23:18 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto a √©crit¬*:

    > For the 'noise' install _full_ Marantz set, for the 'video' get a ticket
    > to show. ( In some cases it should be for a 'seans', don't know the
    > quality of display(?!)

    Yeah, but when I eat a banana with a spoon, the rhinoceros hiding behind
    the waterfall will jump into the refrigerator. Don't you agree?

    Niki

    PS: I can write nonsense too. See?

  5. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:10:24 +0000, Niki Kovacs scrawled firmly:

    > Le Tue, 09 Oct 2007 20:46:07 +0000, Niki Kovacs a √©crit¬*:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music
    >> videos (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    >> leaving behind three or four zombie processes.
    >>
    >> What can a poor boy do?
    >>

    > Hmmmm. There's a series of manipulations on certains webpages that
    > always seem to bring Firefox down (example: hitting the back button on a
    > search results page on youtube.com). I just tried the same with
    > Seamonkey, and it doesn't crash. Add this to the fact that over the last
    > months, Thunderbird mysteriously "lost" some of my messages, I'm
    > seriously considering giving up the highly acclaimed wonder duo
    > Firefox/Thunderbird in favour of Seamonkey/Mozilla Mail or maybe
    > Sylpheed Claws. I need applications for a rock-solid production desktop,
    > and behaviour like this is no good.
    >
    > I'm curious about your opinion. Please, no troll intended.
    >
    > Niki

    Get a new copy of Firefox and extract it to a home directory - dont
    install it just use it with ./firefox-bin or sh firefox make a pretty
    link so you can put it in the taskbar or something... download the
    plugins for Mplayer, java and flash and just stick the .so and .xpt files
    you get from them in the plugins folder.

    Ive never like thunderbird. I use Kmail for email and Pan for usenet.

  6. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music videos
    > (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).
    >
    > Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    > leaving behind three or four zombie processes.
    >
    > What can a poor boy do?

    For the 'noise' install _full_ Marantz set, for the 'video' get a ticket
    to show. ( In some cases it should be for a 'seans', don't know the
    quality of display(?!)

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw

    > Niki

  7. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Thunderbird mysteriously "lost" some of my messages, I'm seriously
    > considering giving up the highly acclaimed wonder duo Firefox/Thunderbird
    > in favour of Seamonkey/Mozilla Mail or maybe Sylpheed Claws. I need
    > applications for a rock-solid production desktop, and behaviour like this
    > is no good.

    I occasionally give Firfox and Thunderbird a go, but always end up back
    with Mozilla/Seamonkey. The primary reason is I much prefer the old
    Netscape style interface. Mozilla and Thunderbird look just similar
    enough that I fall back into Netscape habbits, but the interface is
    different enough to make those habbits not compatible (for instance, the
    Save and Cancel buttons for downloads are reversed!). Overall, I've
    been happier with Mozilla's stability. I believe it has been a good 5
    or 6 years that Mozilla has been very stable. I use it at work all the
    time with no issues (while Netscape and IE sometimes puke on me).

    - Kurt

  8. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:10:24 +0000, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > I'm curious about your opinion. Please, no troll intended.

    Firefox has been a dog for me of late. It seems to crash with flash video
    often and the mplayer plugin is also involved at times.

    I have never been a huge fan of firefox though. I still use seamonkey at
    work (on windows) and I think I may dump firefox all together and use
    seamonkey only. Opera is really nice as well, but there is something that
    keeps me from using it regularly - I like it but don't use it, go figure.

    No wonder I got out of retail.

    The only thing that sucks more than "customers" is "no customers"

    Thunderbird runs like a slug - reminds me of new Pan.

    I like Kmail - more so now that I figured how to use it with gmail.
    Pan (old version) for News.

    Steve

  9. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Le Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:23:18 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto a écrit :
    >> For the 'noise' install _full_ Marantz set, for the 'video' get a ticket
    >> to show. ( In some cases it should be for a 'seans', don't know the
    >> quality of display(?!)
    >>

    > Yeah, but when I eat a banana with a spoon, the rhinoceros hiding behind
    > the waterfall will jump into the refrigerator. Don't you agree?
    >
    > Niki
    >
    > PS: I can write nonsense too. See?

    "Eureca!"

  10. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Le Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:23:18 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto a écrit :
    >> For the 'noise' install _full_ Marantz set, for the 'video' get a ticket
    >> to show. ( In some cases it should be for a 'seans', don't know the
    >> quality of display(?!)
    >>

    > Yeah, but when I eat a banana with a spoon, the rhinoceros hiding behind
    > the waterfall will jump into the refrigerator. Don't you agree?
    >
    > Niki
    >
    > PS: I can write nonsense too. See?

    "Eureca!"

  11. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:10:24 +0000 (UTC)
    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > ... I'm seriously
    > considering giving up the highly acclaimed wonder duo Firefox/Thunderbird
    > in favour of Seamonkey/Mozilla Mail or maybe Sylpheed Claws.

    Better later than never ;-)

    As a last resort for youtube, consider the possibility of first downloading
    videos and then watching them locally.
    youtube-dl (http://freshmeat.net/projects/youtube-dl/) may be useful for
    the work.

    --
    Mikhail

  12. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:36:35 +0400, Mikhail Zotov wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:10:24 +0000 (UTC)
    > Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >> ... I'm seriously
    >> considering giving up the highly acclaimed wonder duo Firefox/Thunderbird
    >> in favour of Seamonkey/Mozilla Mail or maybe Sylpheed Claws.

    > Better later than never ;-)

    Oh for a browser that doesn't eat MB by the hundreds!

    One could also try Flock. Although it's built from Firefox source, it
    seems to be less memory-hungry, from the very little testing that I've
    done.

    > As a last resort for youtube, consider the possibility of first downloading
    > videos and then watching them locally.
    > youtube-dl (http://freshmeat.net/projects/youtube-dl/) may be useful for
    > the work.

    Also Democracy player (think its name has changed though) and the
    eponymous Gootube:

    http://kej.tw/flvretriever/

  13. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:23:18 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music
    >> videos (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    >> leaving behind three or four zombie processes.
    >>
    >> What can a poor boy do?

    > For the 'noise' install _full_ Marantz set,

    Oh, salvation ticket here, I read your post and thought "hey, this
    man's has known Marantz material! Pretty rare by now"
    then, as you raised my curiosity I decided to take a look at some
    probable memorabilia about the vanished paragon and Glorious Tyr and
    Baldr lead my eyes to see the incredible news that Marantz's back!

    Eternal thanks to you Stanislaw for this!
    Now, will it help the 21st century deaf&dumb&blind kids to get to
    hearing music, eventually to seeing shows, as opposed to eating
    blockburpers by the pound is another affair ;-)

  14. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music videos
    > (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).
    >
    > Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    > leaving behind three or four zombie processes.

    Niki,

    I remember a couple of weeks ago or maybe more a guy complaining that
    Firefox would crash his box and he was flamed to death, like he was a
    complete idiot. I'm happy that you haven't been given this humiliating
    treatment (humiliating for the one who gives it, not for the recipient.

    In my own experience (about 5-6 distros) Firefox always leaves a
    couple
    or more zombie processes. In Debian Sarge (pre Canonical vandalization)
    we were talking of about 8 zombie processes.

    > What can a poor boy do?

    Opera!

    You can copy all your Firefox plugins to /usr/lib/opera.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  15. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

  16. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote :

    > "Eureca!"

    Your messages still comes in two's because you are posting to two
    servers simultaneously. One way to get around this problem would be
    letting Seamonkey generate the Message-ID's of your messages.

    In Seamonkeys browser enter about:config in the location bar. Now
    right-click the list of preferences and choose New|Boolean.

    The new boolean preference should be:
    mail.identity.default.generate_news_message_id

    And the new boolean value should of cause be set to "true".
    --
    Thomas O.

  17. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    > One of my favourite websites is Youtube, especially for live music videos
    > (old Sly Stone stuff, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Steely Dan, ...).
    >
    > Unfortunately, nearly every time I'm on it, Firefox ends up crashing,
    > leaving behind three or four zombie processes.
    >
    > What can a poor boy do?

    What version of the Flash plugin (aboutlugins)?
    Maybe try the new 9.0 r64 release from
    http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

    --
    damjan

  18. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    +Alan Hicks+ says:

    pgp trash troll delete

    Buffer off.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  19. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    your the only f'in troll around here Roger
    pgp rocks coz it stops lamers like you impersonating us...
    that remionds me, just for you, i should install it on this desktop as
    well

    --

    Cheers
    Res

  20. Re: Firefox vs. Youtube

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:29:36 +1000, Res wrote:

    > your the only f'in troll around here Roger
    > pgp rocks coz it stops lamers like you impersonating us...
    > that remionds me, just for you, i should install it on this desktop as
    > well

    In order to impersonate you, he would have to top-post and rm knows enough
    not to do that so I would not worry too much about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast