Mail spool permissions - Slackware

This is a discussion on Mail spool permissions - Slackware ; Hi, I am having trouble getting mutt to read my mail spool: /var/spool/mail/username Mail is delivered there by getmail / procmail and can be read by text editor but not by mutt. I have specified the spool in ~/.bashrc as ...

  1. Mail spool permissions

    Hi,

    I am having trouble getting mutt to read my mail spool:

    /var/spool/mail/username

    Mail is delivered there by getmail / procmail and can be read by text
    editor but not by mutt. I have specified the spool in ~/.bashrc as
    well as in ~/.muttrc (covering all options).

    I have tried various permissions on the spool but I am keen to set
    these correctly. Can someone suggest the correct permissions?

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  2. Re: Mail spool permissions

    andrew wrote:
    > I am having trouble getting mutt to read my mail spool:
    >
    > /var/spool/mail/username
    >
    > Mail is delivered there by getmail / procmail and can be read by text
    > editor but not by mutt. I have specified the spool in ~/.bashrc as
    > well as in ~/.muttrc (covering all options).
    >
    > I have tried various permissions on the spool but I am keen to set
    > these correctly. Can someone suggest the correct permissions?

    your assumption that this is a permission problem isn't backed up by the
    few sparse facts that you mention. in order for anyone here to help you,
    you need to be much more specific: what is the error that mutt gives you?
    how have you specified the spool file? can you read the spool when you type
    c in mutt and then navigate to it or type its path manually?

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: Mail spool permissions

    On Tue, 8 Oct 2007, andrew wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having trouble getting mutt to read my mail spool:
    >
    > /var/spool/mail/username
    >
    > Mail is delivered there by getmail / procmail and can be read by text
    > editor but not by mutt. I have specified the spool in ~/.bashrc as
    > well as in ~/.muttrc (covering all options).
    >
    > I have tried various permissions on the spool but I am keen to set
    > these correctly. Can someone suggest the correct permissions?
    >
    > Andrew

    chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail

    The user spool is typically mode 600 and is owned normally by
    username.mail

    --

    Cheers
    Res

  4. Re: Mail spool permissions

    drats, forgot to add.....

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Res wrote:

    > The user spool is typically mode 600 and is owned normally by

    If its mode is 660 thats perfectly OK as well

    --

    Cheers
    Res

  5. Re: Mail spool permissions

    On 2007-10-08, Joost Kremers wrote:
    > andrew wrote:
    >> I am having trouble getting mutt to read my mail spool:
    >>
    >> /var/spool/mail/username

    [...]

    > your assumption that this is a permission problem isn't backed up by the
    > few sparse facts that you mention. in order for anyone here to help you,
    > you need to be much more specific: what is the error that mutt gives you?

    The error is:

    ---Mutt: (no mailbox)

    > how have you specified the spool file?

    I have specified the spool file in ~/.bashrc as follows:

    MAIL=/var/spool/mail/andrew && export MAIL

    I have tested this as follows:

    bash-3.1$ env $MAIL
    env: /var/spool/mail/andrew: Permission denied

    > can you read the spool when you type
    > c in mutt and then navigate to it or type its path manually?

    No I cannot. The message is:

    //var/spool/mail/andrew is not a mailbox.

    My apologies for the briefness of my previous message.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  6. Re: Mail spool permissions

    On 2007-10-08, Res wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Oct 2007, andrew wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am having trouble getting mutt to read my mail spool:
    >>
    >> /var/spool/mail/username

    [...]

    >> I have tried various permissions on the spool but I am keen to set
    >> these correctly. Can someone suggest the correct permissions?
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail
    >
    > The user spool is typically mode 600 and is owned normally by
    > username.mail

    I have just had a look at the permissions, before I change them, as
    perhaps I should have in my initiall investigation :-)

    bash-3.1$ ls -l /var/spool/mail
    total 24
    -rw-rw---- 1 andrew mail 1652 2007-10-08 21:46 andrew
    -rw-rw---- 1 root root 18293 2007-06-06 06:39 root

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  7. Re: Mail spool permissions

    On 2007-10-08, andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-10-08, Joost Kremers wrote:

    >> can you read the spool when you type
    >> c in mutt and then navigate to it or type its path manually?

    > No I cannot. The message is:

    > //var/spool/mail/andrew is not a mailbox.

    Ummm... maybe the text file is, in fact, not a mailbox, just like mutt
    says.

    Not every text file is a mailbox. It is possible that what should be
    your mailbox somehow got corrupted and mutt can't make head nor tail
    of it.

    Are you familiar enough with what a mailbox looks like that you can
    examine it with a text viewer or editor and see if it looks OK?

    Jim

  8. Re: Mail spool permissions

    On 2007-10-09, Jim Diamond wrote:
    > On 2007-10-08, andrew wrote:
    >> On 2007-10-08, Joost Kremers wrote:

    >>> can you read the spool when you type
    >>> c in mutt and then navigate to it or type its path manually?

    >> No I cannot. The message is:

    >> //var/spool/mail/andrew is not a mailbox.

    > Ummm... maybe the text file is, in fact, not a mailbox, just like mutt
    > says.
    >
    > Not every text file is a mailbox. It is possible that what should be
    > your mailbox somehow got corrupted and mutt can't make head nor tail
    > of it.
    >
    > Are you familiar enough with what a mailbox looks like that you can
    > examine it with a text viewer or editor and see if it looks OK?

    In fact there appears to be a problem. I post a slightly edited test
    message below that shows a few 'unknowns' which I believe should not
    be there (I have taken out email addresses / message ids):

    From unknown Tue Oct 9 00:04:51 2007
    Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:04:31 +1000
    From: "Andre[...]@gmail.com>
    To: andrew[...]5@gmail.com
    Subject: testtest

    test

    I guess this could point to a getmail or procmail problem?

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  9. Re: Mail spool permissions

    On 2007-10-08, Res wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Oct 2007, andrew wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am having trouble getting mutt to read my mail spool:
    >>
    >> /var/spool/mail/username

    [...]

    >> I have tried various permissions on the spool but I am keen to set
    >> these correctly. Can someone suggest the correct permissions?

    [...]

    > chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail
    >
    > The user spool is typically mode 600 and is owned normally by
    > username.mail

    Thanks for your assistance. Just for the record I _finally_ solved the
    issue by cutting the Gordian Knot :-) This is a single user machine so
    I have changed the mail spool to $HOME/inbox and also eliminated
    procmail from the recipe.

    So now getmail delivers, mutt reads and msmtp sends; filtering
    courtesy of Gmail. When things are a bit quieter I shall investigate
    exactly I have been doing incorrectly in /var/spool/mail/andrew, but
    in the meantime everything is running smoothly.

    Thanks again for your, and others, assistance,

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  10. Re: Mail spool permissions

    andrew wrote:
    > I have tried various permissions on the spool but I am keen to set
    > these correctly. Can someone suggest the correct permissions?

    The mail dir itself I always got as 1777, the mailbox files themselves
    are: 660, with GROUP "mail" (owner: the user's ID itself) and,
    most important: /usr/bin/procmail should have at least
    2555 (setgid) with group "mail" again.

    But - as far as I know - those ARE the defaults the slackware
    packages COME with (procmail is even 4755, that is: setuid (root)
    AND setgid (mail)).

    Mutt normally runs as "the user", but needs the group mail to access
    some lockfiles etc. The maildir, instead of being 1777, could possibly
    also be "770", with group mail again.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  11. Re: Mail spool permissions

    On 2007-10-09, Eef Hartman wrote:
    > andrew wrote:
    >> I have tried various permissions on the spool but I am keen to set
    >> these correctly. Can someone suggest the correct permissions?

    > The mail dir itself I always got as 1777, the mailbox files themselves
    > are: 660, with GROUP "mail" (owner: the user's ID itself) and,
    > most important: /usr/bin/procmail should have at least
    > 2555 (setgid) with group "mail" again.
    >
    > But - as far as I know - those ARE the defaults the slackware
    > packages COME with (procmail is even 4755, that is: setuid (root)
    > AND setgid (mail)).
    >
    > Mutt normally runs as "the user", but needs the group mail to access
    > some lockfiles etc. The maildir, instead of being 1777, could possibly
    > also be "770", with group mail again.

    I thank you for this information which I have saved offline for
    careful consideration after uni exams. I have created a working
    getmail / mutt / msmtp combination that bypasses
    /var/spool/mail/andrew but I like tradition and I will return and nut
    out this problem.

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  12. Re: Mail spool permissions

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-10-09, Eef Hartman wrote:
    >> packages COME with (procmail is even 4755, that is: setuid (root)
    >> AND setgid (mail)).

    Sorry, that should have been 6755 (which looks like
    -rwsr-sr-x). Mistyped the numerical form.