Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0 - Slackware ; This weekend I tried upgrading my notebook from Slackware-11.0 (2.6.18.6 kernel) to -12.0 (2.6.21.5-generic-smb kernel). It has not gone nearly as smoothly as have my upgrades from 8.0 through 11.0. I can no longer connect to the network. There is ...

  1. Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0

    This weekend I tried upgrading my notebook from Slackware-11.0 (2.6.18.6
    kernel) to -12.0 (2.6.21.5-generic-smb kernel). It has not gone nearly as
    smoothly as have my upgrades from 8.0 through 11.0.

    I can no longer connect to the network. There is no 'route' or 'netstat'
    command. There is no 'which' command. These are my big issues right now.
    When I run 'apropos route' the comand shows up. But, locate cannot find it,
    and, since there's no 'which' command, I can't see where the binaries are.
    What might have happened to these critical files?

    The upgrade from Xfce-4.2.x to -4.4.1 also did not go smoothly. I
    recognize that there are major changes to how the desktop, panel, and other
    features are implemented in the new version, and I'll spend the time getting
    it tuned to my preferences once again. But, in the meantime, the display is
    bonked (i.e., white boxes, areas of colored pixels in thin vertical stripes)
    whenever I close an Xfce setting dialog box. There are no errors in
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

    I followed carefully and completely the step-by-step instructions in the
    CHANGES-AND-HINTS file, so I'm really surprised to not have networking up
    and running instantly. And, I spent a couple of hours merging changes in the
    new config files into the ones I had modified. (Of course, haven't yet
    checked sound, wireless networking, or other functional aspects.)

    Ideas and recommendations greatly appreciated,

    Rich

  2. Re: Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0

    Please re-read the release and upgrade notes, Slackware 12 broke up one or
    two big packages and replaced them with several smaller ones, its tells
    you IIRC what you need to do, it took me all of an extra 2 minutes when I
    did it (and yes I too found out the hard way by not completely reading
    notes anyway it wont take you long.

    --

    Cheers
    Res

  3. Re: Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 00:16:15 +0000, rshepard wrote:

    > I can no longer connect to the network. There is no 'route' or 'netstat'
    > command. There is no 'which' command. These are my big issues right now.

    They're present here.

    > When I run 'apropos route' the comand shows up. But, locate cannot find
    > it, and, since there's no 'which' command, I can't see where the
    > binaries are. What might have happened to these critical files?

    Sounds like a borked upgrade.

    > Ideas and recommendations greatly appreciated,

    Wipe it and do a clean install. Nearly always better results than an
    upgrade.

  4. Re: Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0

    rshep...@nospam.appl-ecosys.com wrote:
    > This weekend I tried upgrading my notebook from Slackware-11.0 (2.6.18.6
    > kernel) to -12.0 (2.6.21.5-generic-smb kernel). It has not gone nearly as
    > smoothly as have my upgrades from 8.0 through 11.0.
    >
    > I can no longer connect to the network. There is no 'route' or 'netstat'
    > command. There is no 'which' command.

    I had the same problem. There's a separate which package now.

    > The upgrade from Xfce-4.2.x to -4.4.1 also did not go smoothly. I
    > recognize that there are major changes to how the desktop, panel, and other
    > features are implemented in the new version, and I'll spend the time getting
    > it tuned to my preferences once again. But, in the meantime, the display is
    > bonked (i.e., white boxes, areas of colored pixels in thin vertical stripes)
    > whenever I close an Xfce setting dialog box. There are no errors in
    > /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

    I am having problems too. Try to rename your xorg.conf and regenerate
    one
    with xconfig.

    > I followed carefully and completely the step-by-step instructions in the
    > CHANGES-AND-HINTS file, so I'm really surprised to not have networking up
    > and running instantly.

    You might have a mismatch between kernel and kernel modules. You
    should have
    started with the huge-smp kernel first.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvsita

  5. Re: Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0

    On 2007-10-08, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    > I had the same problem. There's a separate which package now.

    What fixed all the problems was re-running 'upgradepkg --install-new
    .../slackware/*/*.tgz.' For whatever the reason, not all packages were
    installed the first time. I remembered that I had to do this with an earlier
    upgrade, too. When the second run was completed, 'netstat,' 'route,' and
    'which' were all present and the video display in xfce cleared itself up.

    > I am having problems too. Try to rename your xorg.conf and regenerate one
    > with xconfig.

    This was on my notebook and I did not recall the specs of the built-in
    video chip and LCD monitor frequencies. However, I used the old xorg.conf
    and changed the font paths; that's the issue.

    > You might have a mismatch between kernel and kernel modules. You should
    > have started with the huge-smp kernel first.

    Nah. I'm really careful with this because I usually build my own kernels
    to tune them for each host.

    Rich

    --
    Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
    Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerators(TM)

  6. Re: Problems Upgrading 11.0 to 12.0

    rshepard@nospam.appl-ecosys.com wrote:
    > I can no longer connect to the network. There is no 'route' or 'netstat'
    > command. There is no 'which' command. These are my big issues right now.

    The "which" command is in the (new) which-2.16 package. You probably did
    not install all of the new packages. It is /bin/which, by the way.
    The "route" command is in the "net-tools-1.60" package and it should
    have been installed as /sbin/route.

    > When I run 'apropos route' the comand shows up. But, locate cannot find it,

    Apropos only looks for the man-page and that probably is still the 11.0
    one as "upgradepkg" didn't find a new package for that.
    Especially with this release you DO have to do a lot of "installpkg"
    of packages that have been split-out of their 11.0 equivalents.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **