Restoring Xfce4 Desktop After Upgrade to 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Restoring Xfce4 Desktop After Upgrade to 12.0 - Slackware ; After completing most of the upgrade yesterday, I finished today by identifying the libraries not installed with 'upgradepkg --install-new ...' that prevented X from starting. I had run xorgconfig, per the instructions, and tuned it to produce a working /etc/X11/xorg.conf. ...

  1. Restoring Xfce4 Desktop After Upgrade to 12.0

    After completing most of the upgrade yesterday, I finished today by
    identifying the libraries not installed with 'upgradepkg --install-new ...'
    that prevented X from starting.

    I had run xorgconfig, per the instructions, and tuned it to produce a
    working /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But, when I tried running xwmconfig the
    immediate response was 'cancelled.' Don't know why.

    Regardless, I installed the missing libraries identified on the command
    line when X would not start, but there was still a complaint about not
    finding the 'which' command in the line in ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc:

    panel=`which xfce4-panel`

    I replace that line without the 'which' and X comes up.

    However, I don't have the background, panel settings, or anything else
    that I used to have there, including the battery status plug-in and the
    other tools.

    Was the original config file saved somewhere? I don't recall a previous
    Slackware/xfce upgrade trashing the set up that I had.

    Rich

  2. Re: Restoring Xfce4 Desktop After Upgrade to 12.0

    rshepard@nospam.appl-ecosys.com wrote:

    > Regardless, I installed the missing libraries identified on the command
    > line when X would not start, but there was still a complaint about not
    > finding the 'which' command in the line in ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc:
    >
    > panel=`which xfce4-panel`
    >
    > I replace that line without the 'which' and X comes up.

    Or, you could have installed the which package. The fact that you did not
    install this package from the "a" series is cause for at least some
    concern.

    > However, I don't have the background, panel settings, or anything else
    > that I used to have there, including the battery status plug-in and the
    > other tools.
    >
    > Was the original config file saved somewhere?

    Only you can know that. Xfce's config files are in ~/.config. You have
    backups, right?

    > I don't recall a previous
    > Slackware/xfce upgrade trashing the set up that I had.

    I don't recall upgrading any package or combination of packages ever
    touching anything in my home directory (unless it was installed there).
    But, knowledge is always finite, and life can be mysterious. That's
    perhaps one reason for doing upgrades in runlevel 1.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  3. Re: Restoring Xfce4 Desktop After Upgrade to 12.0

    On 2007-10-07, rshepard@nospam.appl-ecosys.com wrote:
    > After completing most of the upgrade yesterday, I finished today by
    > identifying the libraries not installed with 'upgradepkg --install-new ...'
    > that prevented X from starting.
    >
    > I had run xorgconfig, per the instructions, and tuned it to produce a
    > working /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But, when I tried running xwmconfig the
    > immediate response was 'cancelled.' Don't know why.
    >
    > Regardless, I installed the missing libraries identified on the command
    > line when X would not start, but there was still a complaint about not
    > finding the 'which' command in the line in ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc:
    >
    > panel=`which xfce4-panel`
    >
    > I replace that line without the 'which' and X comes up.
    >
    > However, I don't have the background, panel settings, or anything else
    > that I used to have there, including the battery status plug-in and the
    > other tools.
    >
    > Was the original config file saved somewhere? I don't recall a previous
    > Slackware/xfce upgrade trashing the set up that I had.
    >
    > Rich

    if I remember correctly, if you are going from xfce 4.2 to 4.4, like when
    you upgrade from slack 11.0 to 12.0, you will have to reconfigure xfce, as
    the configuration has changed a lot.

    I had to move the old configs away (.config and .local I think) and start
    over for it to work, if not, the desktop and the panel were missing...

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    WWW: http://www.sekurity.com

    "This is my Linux box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My Linux box is my best friend. It is my life."

  4. Re: Restoring Xfce4 Desktop After Upgrade to 12.0

    On 2007-10-09, martin@ivalice.sekurity.com wrote:

    > I had to move the old configs away (.config and .local I think) and start
    > over for it to work, if not, the desktop and the panel were missing...

    I keep forgetting to move ~/.config away and let Xfce recreate it. That's
    because I need to do this so infrequently. But, that fixed the problems with
    the desktop.

    Rich

    --
    Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
    Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerators(TM)

+ Reply to Thread