xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver? - Slackware

This is a discussion on xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver? - Slackware ; Hello, after manually upgrading to 12.0 I can still manage a decent X experience using the old xorg.conf and hacking it a little bit. But if I generate a new xorg.conf with the new xorgconfig I run into a lot ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

  1. xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Hello,

    after manually upgrading to 12.0 I can still manage a decent
    X experience using the old xorg.conf and hacking it a little
    bit. But if I generate a new xorg.conf with the new xorgconfig
    I run into a lot of troubles.

    This is the list of all new xorg video drivers I have installed:

    /var/log/packages/xf86-video-fbdev-0.3.1-i486-1
    /var/log/packages/xf86-video-mga-1.4.6.1-i486-1
    /var/log/packages/xf86-video-tga-1.1.0-i486-1
    /var/log/packages/xf86-video-trident-1.2.3-i486-1
    /var/log/packages/xf86-video-v4l-0.1.1-i486-1
    /var/log/packages/xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0-i486-1
    /var/log/packages/xf86-video-vga-4.1.0-i486-1

    Then I run xorgconfig and chose the 16 bit depth but I received
    a complaint that depth 16 is not supported by the driver.
    I have manually changed that to 8 bit but all I get is a black
    screen and that's it.

    This a list of all errors:
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded

    And this is the list of all warnings:
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or
    directory)
    (WW) VGA(0): Mode pool is empty

    Thanks

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista


  2. Re: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > after manually upgrading to 12.0 I can still manage a decent
    > X experience using the old xorg.conf and hacking it a little
    > bit. But if I generate a new xorg.conf with the new xorgconfig
    > I run into a lot of troubles.
    >
    > This is the list of all new xorg video drivers I have installed:
    >
    > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-fbdev-0.3.1-i486-1
    > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-mga-1.4.6.1-i486-1
    > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-tga-1.1.0-i486-1
    > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-trident-1.2.3-i486-1
    > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-v4l-0.1.1-i486-1
    > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0-i486-1
    > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-vga-4.1.0-i486-1
    >
    > Then I run xorgconfig and chose the 16 bit depth but I received
    > a complaint that depth 16 is not supported by the driver.


    Are you sure you're running the correct driver for your video hardware?

    > I have manually changed that to 8 bit but all I get is a black
    > screen and that's it.
    >


    8-bit is pretty 1988, I'd give 24-bit a try...

    > This a list of all errors:
    > (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    > (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    > (EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded
    >


    Does your kernel have DRI support built in? If not, you can compile it
    as a module and insert the module and try it without having to reboot.
    It's in the "Character devices" section of the kernel configurator.

    > And this is the list of all warnings:
    > (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    > (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or
    > directory)


    Does your kernel have ACPI support? It's in "Power management
    options"...

    > (WW) VGA(0): Mode pool is empty
    >


    Just a guess but that could be because there are no valid 8-bin modes
    for your hardware...

  3. Re: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > after manually upgrading to 12.0 I can still manage a decent
    > > X experience using the old xorg.conf and hacking it a little
    > > bit. But if I generate a new xorg.conf with the new xorgconfig
    > > I run into a lot of troubles.
    > >
    > > This is the list of all new xorg video drivers I have installed:
    > >
    > > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-fbdev-0.3.1-i486-1
    > > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-mga-1.4.6.1-i486-1
    > > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-tga-1.1.0-i486-1
    > > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-trident-1.2.3-i486-1
    > > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-v4l-0.1.1-i486-1
    > > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0-i486-1
    > > /var/log/packages/xf86-video-vga-4.1.0-i486-1
    > >
    > > Then I run xorgconfig and chose the 16 bit depth but I received
    > > a complaint that depth 16 is not supported by the driver.

    >
    > Are you sure you're running the correct driver for your video hardware?


    That's exactly what I was asking. It looks like vga is not the correct
    driver. I think I need at least svga or extended vga, but where are
    they?
    Or maybe I should use the vesa driver?


    >
    > > I have manually changed that to 8 bit but all I get is a black
    > > screen and that's it.
    > >

    >
    > 8-bit is pretty 1988, I'd give 24-bit a try...


    startx complains that 16-bit is not supported by this driver.
    How on earth could I use 24-bit?

    >
    > > This a list of all errors:
    > > (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    > > (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    > > (EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded
    > >

    >
    > Does your kernel have DRI support built in? If not, you can compile it
    > as a module and insert the module and try it without having to reboot.
    > It's in the "Character devices" section of the kernel configurator.


    I modestly doubt it has anything to do with the screen section
    but I may be wrong.

    >
    > > And this is the list of all warnings:
    > > (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    > > (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or
    > > directory)

    >
    > Does your kernel have ACPI support? It's in "Power management
    > options"...


    As above..

    >
    > > (WW) VGA(0): Mode pool is empty
    > >

    >
    > Just a guess but that could be because there are no valid 8-bin modes
    > for your hardware...


    I'm lost. Could you expand this concept please?

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista


  4. Re: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Are you sure you're running the correct driver for your video hardware?

    >
    >
    > That's exactly what I was asking. It looks like vga is not the correct
    > driver. I think I need at least svga or extended vga, but where are
    > they?
    > Or maybe I should use the vesa driver?
    >


    Those are awfully generic. I assume you're using pci graphics cards?
    What does lspci say about them? If you go through the steps involved in
    running 'xorgconfig', it eventually gets to a point where it will walk
    through a list of drivers, hopefully there will be one specific to your
    hardware. That's the one you should use in your xorg.conf. If you run
    xorgconfig to conclusion it will write out a new xorg.conf for you...

    >
    >>
    >>8-bit is pretty 1988, I'd give 24-bit a try...

    >
    >
    > startx complains that 16-bit is not supported by this driver.
    > How on earth could I use 24-bit?
    >


    That's a pretty good point...

    >>>(WW) VGA(0): Mode pool is empty
    >>>

    >>
    >>Just a guess but that could be because there are no valid 8-bin modes
    >>for your hardware...

    >
    >
    > I'm lost. Could you expand this concept please?
    >


    Sorry that was a typo on my part, I meant 8-bit modes not 'bin.'

    But when the xserver starts it querys the graphics hardware and comes
    with a list of modes that the hardware will support. That's the mode
    pool. It writes the list to the log file. My guess is that the vga
    driver doesn't have the smarts to query your video hardware
    successfully...

  5. Re: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > > Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >>Are you sure you're running the correct driver for your video hardware?

    > >
    > >
    > > That's exactly what I was asking. It looks like vga is not the correct
    > > driver. I think I need at least svga or extended vga, but where are
    > > they?
    > > Or maybe I should use the vesa driver?
    > >

    >
    > Those are awfully generic. I assume you're using pci graphics cards?
    > What does lspci say about them? If you go through the steps involved in
    > running 'xorgconfig', it eventually gets to a point where it will walk
    > through a list of drivers, hopefully there will be one specific to your
    > hardware. That's the one you should use in your xorg.conf. If you run
    > xorgconfig to conclusion it will write out a new xorg.conf for you...
    >
    > >
    > >>
    > >>8-bit is pretty 1988, I'd give 24-bit a try...

    > >
    > >
    > > startx complains that 16-bit is not supported by this driver.
    > > How on earth could I use 24-bit?
    > >

    >
    > That's a pretty good point...
    >
    > >>>(WW) VGA(0): Mode pool is empty
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>Just a guess but that could be because there are no valid 8-bin modes
    > >>for your hardware...

    > >
    > >
    > > I'm lost. Could you expand this concept please?
    > >

    >
    > Sorry that was a typo on my part, I meant 8-bit modes not 'bin.'
    >
    > But when the xserver starts it querys the graphics hardware and comes
    > with a list of modes that the hardware will support. That's the mode
    > pool. It writes the list to the log file. My guess is that the vga
    > driver doesn't have the smarts to query your video hardware
    > successfully...


    Eventually I have used brute force, deleted all xorg.conf*,
    reinstalled
    x11-skel and there you go, a working x server!

    This default xorg.conf uses the vesa driver, so I am going to stick
    with
    it, although I'm not sure it was the most elegant solution...

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista


  6. Re: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > This default xorg.conf uses the vesa driver, so I am going to stick
    > with it, although I'm not sure it was the most elegant solution...


    The best thing would be to use a driver optimized for your hardware.
    Cards from different graphics vendors use different drivers. It would be
    useful if you knew what kind of card you have, but X is rather good at
    finding out this if you do:

    X --configure

    regards Henrik
    --
    The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
    hc1(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost


  7. Re: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > > This default xorg.conf uses the vesa driver, so I am going to stick
    > > with it, although I'm not sure it was the most elegant solution...

    >
    > The best thing would be to use a driver optimized for your hardware.
    > Cards from different graphics vendors use different drivers. It would be
    > useful if you knew what kind of card you have, but X is rather good at
    > finding out this if you do:
    >
    > X --configure


    This is one of the routes I have gone through and indeed the generated
    xorg.conf.new indicated me that I should use the cirrus driver.

    But then, what do I do with that file? If I merge it into xorg.conf
    all I get is a 800x600 X server with a cross in the middle.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista


  8. Re: xorg: where's the super/extended vga driver?

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    >> X --configure

    >
    > This is one of the routes I have gone through and indeed the generated
    > xorg.conf.new indicated me that I should use the cirrus driver.
    >
    > But then, what do I do with that file? If I merge it into xorg.conf
    > all I get is a 800x600 X server with a cross in the middle.


    The important part from the generated file is the Device section for your
    card. Copy the Driver line and any Option line to your xorg.conf.

    regards Henrik
    --
    The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
    hc1(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost


+ Reply to Thread