slackbuild on abcde - Slackware

This is a discussion on slackbuild on abcde - Slackware ; Hello, I essentially sent the following to slackbuilds-users@slackbuilds.org , but it got rejected from zen.spamhaus.org so I'm posting it here in hopes someone can help. abcde is a program that rips, fetches tags, and produces .ogg and other encoded music. ...

  1. slackbuild on abcde

    Hello,

    I essentially sent the following to slackbuilds-users@slackbuilds.org,
    but it got rejected from zen.spamhaus.org so I'm posting it here in
    hopes someone can help.

    abcde is a program that rips, fetches tags, and produces .ogg and
    other encoded music. I successully built and installed abcde and lame
    from slackbuild. I successfully ripped and produced .ogg files from a
    CD. But I wanted to insert my music into an ipod and I needed mp3
    files. When I entered

    abcde -o mp3

    I got the following message:

    which: no id3v2 in (/usr/local/sbin ....)

    I had installed id3lib from slackbuild, and could not find the
    standalone program id3v2 in the Slackware 12 distribution or on
    slackbuilds.org. I downloaded the source from sourceforge, but it
    wouldn't compile. I looked in the Debian distribution, and they seem
    to have that program, but I'd rather stay within the official
    distribution and slackbuilds.

    I have a script written many years ago using cdparanoia and lame, to
    rip and encode into mp3 files. If I had a program to fetch the tags
    (title, artist, etc) from the internet I wouldn't need abcde. Does
    anyone know of such a package, preferably with within slackware
    world.

    Thanks in advance

    klee12

  2. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    klee12 wrote:
    > I had installed id3lib from slackbuild, and could not find the
    > standalone program id3v2 in the Slackware 12 distribution or on
    > slackbuilds.org. I downloaded the source from sourceforge, but it
    > wouldn't compile. I looked in the Debian distribution, and they seem
    > to have that program, but I'd rather stay within the official
    > distribution and slackbuilds.

    Hmm, strange. I don't know exactly HOW anymore, but I've build id3ed,
    id3v2 and id3lib here, all from the SourceForge sources, and I can't
    remember having any problems with making them.

    You DO have to build id3lib first, as the id3v2 build needs those
    libraries, so you will have to point TO the place you put them.

    But this is what I've got:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 11272 2003-03-02 01:23 id3convert
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 9412 2003-03-02 01:23 id3cp
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 25812 2004-01-10 04:20 id3ed
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 20320 2003-03-02 01:23 id3info
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 15784 2003-03-02 01:23 id3tag
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 48396 2004-05-04 20:30 id3v2
    (some of those come out of id3lib, id3ed and id3v2 are separate
    packages).
    And when I do "ldd id3v2" I get:
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7f81000)
    libid3-3.8.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libid3-3.8.so.3 (0xb7f00000)
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 => /usr/i486-slackware-linux/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 (0xb7eba000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0xb7e97000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7d68000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fac000)
    in which libid3-3.8.so.3 is the one from the id3lib package and as
    you see I put it into /usr/local/lib).

    PS: this is in /usr/local/lib:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2003-05-06 15:26 libid3-3.8.so.3 -> libid3-3.8.so.3.0.0
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2890651 2003-03-02 01:23 libid3-3.8.so.3.0.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5613394 2003-03-02 01:23 libid3.a
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 710 2003-03-02 01:23 libid3.la
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2003-05-06 15:26 libid3.so -> libid3-3.8.so.3.0.0
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  3. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    On 2007-10-06, klee12 wrote:

    [...]

    > abcde is a program that rips, fetches tags, and produces .ogg and
    > other encoded music. I successully built and installed abcde and lame
    > from slackbuild. I successfully ripped and produced .ogg files from a
    > CD. But I wanted to insert my music into an ipod and I needed mp3
    > files. When I entered
    >
    > abcde -o mp3

    A little sideways of your question: would this, and other parameters,
    not be better in an ~/.abcde.conf file?

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  4. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    Thanks for the replies.

    I'm a little embarrassed again. I went back and got id3v2 again from
    sourceforge and compiled again. This time it worked. So I ran abcde
    and, would you believe it, it didn't run. I got the the following
    error messages for each track similar to the below message:

    Tagging track 10 of 10: Rambling Gambler - Whispering Bells...
    *** glibc detected *** id3v2: free(): invalid pointer: 0xb7f03ce0 ***
    ======= Backtrace: =========
    /lib/libc.so.6[0xb7c94c23]
    /lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x90)[0xb7c980f0]
    id3v2[0x804bd9a]
    /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xd8)[0xb7c42df8]
    id3v2(__gxx_personality_v0+0x89)[0x8049401]
    ======= Memory map: ========

    I searched for the libraries and found that I don't have

    linux-gate.so.1 and /lib/ld-linux.so.2 and couldn't find it in the
    Slack distributions.

    I've been working with the perl module CDDB.pm which says that it
    would give me the titles that I need. Somehow, like abcde, I can't get
    it to work (yet).

    Andrew, I prefer to use scripts to set up parameters. However, I
    couldn't seem to get abcde to set the parameters for mp3 correctly in
    the scripts (e.g. abcde -o mp3:"-q h" doesn't seem to work, whereas it
    may be set in the .abcde.conf. However, I'm not sure how I can set the
    name of the track to the title in .abcde.conf. I'm sure it can be
    done, and if I ever get abcde working I'll work more on it.

    Getting music into my ipod is low on my priorities, so I'm going to
    drop this for a while and work on others things. Anyway thanks for
    your help

    klee12

  5. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    On 2007-10-09, klee12 wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies.

    [...]

    > Andrew, I prefer to use scripts to set up parameters. However, I
    > couldn't seem to get abcde to set the parameters for mp3 correctly in
    > the scripts (e.g. abcde -o mp3:"-q h" doesn't seem to work, whereas it
    > may be set in the .abcde.conf. However, I'm not sure how I can set the
    > name of the track to the title in .abcde.conf. I'm sure it can be
    > done, and if I ever get abcde working I'll work more on it.

    I will be working on abcde myself shortly and I am keen to get it
    running on Slackware. If you manage to get it all going there is a
    page that is aimed at Debian / Ubuntu that nevertheless has the
    scripts that you are after:

    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/abcde.html

    All the best!

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  6. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    > linux-gate.so.1 and /lib/ld-linux.so.2 and couldn't find it in the
    > Slack distributions.

    Both linux-gate.so.1 and ld-linux.so.2 are from the so loader, which
    IS present when you installed glibc. They will look a bit strange as
    they're not shared objects themselves, they're the loader FOR those
    shared objects, so ANY program will give something like:
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f4e000)
    (these are from /bin/ls, by the way), so the first only points TO
    an address and the 2nd has a filename and an address but not "pointed
    to".
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  7. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    klee12 schreef:
    [snip]
    > Getting music into my ipod is low on my priorities, so I'm going to
    > drop this for a while and work on others things. Anyway thanks for
    > your help

    A completely other way to accomplish your goal of getting the music to
    your Ipod is installing Rockbox on your Ipod.
    http://www.rockbox.org/

    Used it for about a year now and very much like it. It's an alternative
    firmware that enables you to play Ogg files on your Ipod. No need for
    converting them.

    Bart

  8. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    Andrew wrote:

    > I will be working on abcde myself shortly and I am keen to get it
    > running on Slackware. If you manage to get it all going there is a
    > page that is aimed at Debian / Ubuntu that nevertheless has the
    > scripts that you are after:
    >
    > http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/abcde.html

    The script at the above site would be helpful if I ever get abcde up
    and running and decide to use it. Right now, the more I think about
    it, the more I might want to write my own scripts, so I can pass my
    own parameters to lame with. If abcde doesn't work, I was considering
    writing a perl program to that would,

    1. call cdda2wav to rip and get track information. Many years ago
    cdparanoia handled problems (jitter, etc) better than cdda2wav but
    the current version cdda2wav seems to be able to use the cdparanoia
    library. It also can print out the toc, times of tracks, etc which can
    then be used to get track info from freedb.freedb.org.

    2. For each track ripped using cdda2waw, use the perl module CDDB.pm,
    to get track info. The problem I'm having is that the information
    produced by CDDB.pm differs from the info reported by cdda2wav. I'm
    sort of stuck here. I'm undecided as to look for another program to do
    this work work on using CDDB.pm or work on using abcde.

    3. Using the track info, I can use lame to convert the .wav file
    to .mp3 file within my perl program.

    Hartman wrote < loader, which
    IS present when you installed glibc. >> Ah, so that's why I couldn't
    find the packages. Good to know.

    Bart wrote < the music to
    your Ipod is installing Rockbox on your Ipod. >> I may look into that
    and see if can do everything I want. Right now I can manipulate the
    data with Windows and Linux (using Gtkpod).

    Thanks all

    klee12

  9. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    On 2007-10-09, klee12 wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I will be working on abcde myself shortly and I am keen to get it
    >> running on Slackware. If you manage to get it all going there is a
    >> page that is aimed at Debian / Ubuntu that nevertheless has the
    >> scripts that you are after:

    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/abcde.html

    > The script at the above site would be helpful if I ever get abcde up
    > and running and decide to use it. Right now, the more I think about
    > it, the more I might want to write my own scripts, so I can pass my
    > own parameters to lame with. If abcde doesn't work, I was considering
    > writing a perl program to that would,

    Well I am no slackware genius but I have just got it all running with
    no great drama. Sequence for me was:

    1. Download / compile lame.
    2. Download install abcde
    3. Download / compile cd-discid-0.9
    4. Download / compile id3lib-3.8.3
    5. Download / compile id3v2-0.1.11

    And then for EasyTag (my secret weakness!)

    6. Download / compile libid3tag-0.15.1b
    7. Download / compile libmp4v2-1.5.0.1
    8. Download / compile easytag-2.1

    This omits wavpack support from easytag. Vorbis and flac material
    courtesy of Slackware 12.

    It was a bit of a PITA to get all this together but it now produces
    single command ripping and conversion.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  10. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    Andrew wrote:
    > It was a bit of a PITA to get all this together but it now produces
    > single command ripping and conversion.

    I'm getting old. I'm not as willing to spend much time getting chasing
    down programs as I was when I was younger. If I have to, I'll do it
    but I make a cost benefit analysis: is the benefit worth the expected
    time it takes to get everything together. Installing one or two
    packages is easy, but tracking down 5 or 6 packages is getting to be a
    pain, especially because I 'm making more mistakes now than I when I
    was younger. It doesn't take long to boot into windows and let
    iTunes rip and insert into my ipod; doing everything in Linux would be
    only be a little more convenient.

    klee12

  11. Re: slackbuild on abcde

    On 2007-10-11, klee12 wrote:

    > Andrew wrote:
    >> It was a bit of a PITA to get all this together but it now produces
    >> single command ripping and conversion.

    > I'm getting old. I'm not as willing to spend much time getting chasing
    > down programs as I was when I was younger. If I have to, I'll do it
    > but I make a cost benefit analysis: is the benefit worth the expected
    > time it takes to get everything together. Installing one or two
    > packages is easy, but tracking down 5 or 6 packages is getting to be a
    > pain, especially because I 'm making more mistakes now than I when I
    > was younger. It doesn't take long to boot into windows and let
    > iTunes rip and insert into my ipod; doing everything in Linux would be
    > only be a little more convenient.

    I will admit that I had a few doubts when chasing this stuff up. But I
    cheated and I already have 4 scripts for abcde: 1 each for mp3, ogg
    and flac as well as one that rips all three together and places in a
    seperate directory so I knew it was worth while doing.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

+ Reply to Thread