Slackware 12 and dual-head systems - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware 12 and dual-head systems - Slackware ; Greetings, This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting desperate. I've been running a dual-head system, on the same hardware, since Slackware 10.1 without (major) difficulty. However, since I installed 12, I have been unable ...

  1. Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    Greetings,

    This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting
    desperate.

    I've been running a dual-head system, on the same hardware, since
    Slackware 10.1 without (major) difficulty. However, since I installed
    12, I have been unable to get dual-head working. Starting the X
    server now results in a complete system lockup.

    When I first installed 12 the X server started and seemed to be
    running fine but on stopping then restarting X the system locked. On
    rebooting I found that the Xorg.0.log was only about 50 lines long.
    Everything seemed to have come to a grinding halt during the pci scan.

    Following further failed attempts to restart X and examining the log
    in between each one, I noticed that logging ceased at apparently
    random points during the startup process such as loading a module or
    while checking available modes. None of the failures produced the
    same log.

    I then tried single-head operation, first with only one card installed
    and then both and all worked as expected, but trying dual-head again
    failed.

    I have tried installing a different pair of video cards but with the
    same results and also experimented with all the posible combinations
    of the video cards that I have.

    Granted I'm running on elderly hardware but it all appears to be
    functional, so I'm wondering if anybody seen anything like this before
    and therefore may possibly have a clue as to what is happening? I
    have checked the Xorg site but have, as yet, been unable to find any
    reports of similar problems so I'm wondering if it may be Slackware 12
    specific.

    Joe

    PS: Almost forgot - I even tested with different mouse and keyboard,
    just in case. Same results. Single-head good, dual-head bad. :-(

    --
    The only intuitive interface is the nipple. All others must be
    learned.

  2. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    On Oct 6, 3:02 pm, Joe Dennigan wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting
    > desperate.
    >
    > I've been running a dual-head system, on the same hardware, since
    > Slackware 10.1 without (major) difficulty. However, since I installed
    > 12, I have been unable to get dual-head working. Starting the X
    > server now results in a complete system lockup.

    Are you sure it's completely locked up? Can you ping it from another
    system? If it's not completely locked up you should be able to kill x
    with ctrl-alt-backspace. But you probably already knew that...

    Are you using the same xorg.conf and the same kernel that you were
    using in 10.1? If you're using a different kernel perhaps the pci
    support isn't correct for the graphics cards you're trying to use. Are
    the pci bus and driver lines correct in the device sections of your
    xorg.conf?

  3. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    Chris Sorenson writes:

    > On Oct 6, 3:02 pm, Joe Dennigan wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting
    >> desperate.
    >>
    >> I've been running a dual-head system, on the same hardware, since
    >> Slackware 10.1 without (major) difficulty. However, since I installed
    >> 12, I have been unable to get dual-head working. Starting the X
    >> server now results in a complete system lockup.
    >>

    > Are you sure it's completely locked up? Can you ping it from another
    > system? If it's not completely locked up you should be able to kill x
    > with ctrl-alt-backspace. But you probably already knew that...
    >
    > Are you using the same xorg.conf and the same kernel that you were
    > using in 10.1? If you're using a different kernel perhaps the pci
    > support isn't correct for the graphics cards you're trying to use. Are
    > the pci bus and driver lines correct in the device sections of your
    > xorg.conf?

    Complete lockup. Keyboard & mouse non-functional and have to reboot
    via the power switch - at least I'm using ReiserFS.

    AFAICT xorg.conf is correct. To operate in single-head mode all I have to
    do is comment out one of the 'Screen' lines in 'ServerLayout', it
    doesn't matter which, and X works as expected. Over the various
    upgrades since 10.1 there have been a couple of changes to xorg.conf
    as X itself has evolved. I even tried to autogenerate a starting
    xorg.conf, and on a couple of occasions that process locked, but even
    when it seemed to work, using the generated configuration failed.

    As to the kernel, I normally use the Slackware default as it has never
    given me any noticeable problems in the past, but in this case I've
    tried both kernel-generic-smp-2.6.21.5_smp-i686-2 (as recommended) and
    kernel-generic-2.6.21.5-i486-2 to no avail.

    As I said in my original post, the first time I started X in dual-head
    mode it worked. It was only when I stooped and restarted X that these
    problems manifested themselves. At the moment I'm just trying to
    establish, if I can, if this is more likely a problem with the distro,
    the kernel, X or my hardware but, again as I said in my earlier post,
    I have been unable to find any reports of similar problems so far.

    Joe

    --
    There are three kinds of people: men, women, and unix.

  4. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    Le Sat, 06 Oct 2007 20:02:39 +0000, Joe Dennigan a √©crit¬*:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting
    > desperate.

    Indeed. A man deciding to post on AOLS is like a siamese cat ready to
    jump into a cage filled with rabid pitbulls.

    cheers,

    Niki Kovacs

    PS: welcome to the club, nevertheless

  5. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    Joe Dennigan wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting
    > desperate.
    >
    > I've been running a dual-head system, on the same hardware, since
    > Slackware 10.1 without (major) difficulty. However, since I installed
    > 12, I have been unable to get dual-head working. Starting the X
    > server now results in a complete system lockup.
    >
    > When I first installed 12 the X server started and seemed to be
    > running fine but on stopping then restarting X the system locked. On
    > rebooting I found that the Xorg.0.log was only about 50 lines long.
    > Everything seemed to have come to a grinding halt during the pci scan.
    >
    > Following further failed attempts to restart X and examining the log
    > in between each one, I noticed that logging ceased at apparently
    > random points during the startup process such as loading a module or
    > while checking available modes. None of the failures produced the
    > same log.

    Ideas:
    - SSH into your box and try attaching to X with gdb
    http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Dev...erverDebugging

    - Replace the /usr/bin/X->Xorg symlink with the following auto-kill
    script. Maybe the Xorg.0.log files are all dying at the same place,
    but the file buffer (RAM->disk) isn't flushing properly during the reboot.

    *****
    #!/bin/bash
    # Save as /usr/bin/X
    # Replaces the X->Xorg symlink.

    Xorg &
    pid=$!

    sleep 30;
    kill -SIGTERM $pid
    wait $?
    *****

    Later,
    Daniel

  6. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    D Herring writes:
    > Ideas:
    > - SSH into your box and try attaching to X with gdb
    > http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Dev...erverDebugging
    >
    > - Replace the /usr/bin/X->Xorg symlink with the following auto-kill
    > script. Maybe the Xorg.0.log files are all dying at the same place,
    > but the file buffer (RAM->disk) isn't flushing properly during the
    > reboot.
    >
    > *****
    > #!/bin/bash
    > # Save as /usr/bin/X
    > # Replaces the X->Xorg symlink.
    >
    > Xorg &
    > pid=$!
    >
    > sleep 30;
    > kill -SIGTERM $pid
    > wait $?
    > *****

    Well, SSH into the box is not an option right now and I'm not sure I
    know enough to get any meaningful info from an attached debugger
    anyway.

    Tried your script and got the same result except that this time when I
    rebooted the log file was garbled. Seemed to be some boot messages -
    system boot that is - and a lot of ^@. Decidedly odd.

    I have come to the conclusion that the most likely culprits here are
    the Xorg installation or the kernel, so I'm going to start with a new
    Xorg install (again). If that fails I'll try compiling a more recent
    kernel and finally, try to compile X from the sources - a feat I
    have never yet achieved. :-(

    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

    Joe

    --
    Peter Anspach:
    The Top 100+ Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord

    35. I will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look
    diabolic. Now they just make you look like a disaffected member
    of Generation X.

  7. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    Joe Dennigan wrote:

    > I have come to the conclusion that the most likely culprits here are
    > the Xorg installation or the kernel, so I'm going to start with a new
    > Xorg install (again). If that fails I'll try compiling a more recent
    > kernel and finally, try to compile X from the sources - a feat I
    > have never yet achieved. :-(

    If you have the source for your existing kernel installed, try taking a
    look at the "Character devices" section, look at the "/dev/agpgart" and
    "Direct rendering manager" subsections, you might want to try compiling
    anything in there that's specific to your hardware as modules, then
    insert the modules and try again. You could try that without even
    having to reboot...

  8. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    Chris Sorenson writes:

    > If you have the source for your existing kernel installed, try taking a
    > look at the "Character devices" section, look at the "/dev/agpgart" and
    > "Direct rendering manager" subsections, you might want to try compiling
    > anything in there that's specific to your hardware as modules, then
    > insert the modules and try again. You could try that without even
    > having to reboot...

    Already checked that. The necessary modules, for me anyway, are
    already in the default kernel. I'm going to get latest sources and
    try that next. If it fails, I'm not looking forward to trying to
    compile X from scatch.

    Thanks anyway.

    Joe

    --
    Peter Anspach - The Top 100+ Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil
    Overlord:

    26. No matter how attractive certain members of the rebellion are, there
    is probably someone just as attractive who is not desperate to kill me.
    Therefore, I will think twice before ordering a prisoner sent to my
    bedchamber.

  9. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 20:02:39 +0000, Joe Dennigan wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting
    > desperate.
    >
    > I've been running a dual-head system, on the same hardware, since
    > Slackware 10.1 without (major) difficulty. However, since I installed
    > 12, I have been unable to get dual-head working. Starting the X server
    > now results in a complete system lockup.
    >
    > When I first installed 12 the X server started and seemed to be running
    > fine but on stopping then restarting X the system locked. On rebooting
    > I found that the Xorg.0.log was only about 50 lines long. Everything
    > seemed to have come to a grinding halt during the pci scan.
    >
    > Following further failed attempts to restart X and examining the log in
    > between each one, I noticed that logging ceased at apparently random
    > points during the startup process such as loading a module or while
    > checking available modes. None of the failures produced the same log.
    >
    > I then tried single-head operation, first with only one card installed
    > and then both and all worked as expected, but trying dual-head again
    > failed.
    >
    > I have tried installing a different pair of video cards but with the
    > same results and also experimented with all the posible combinations of
    > the video cards that I have.
    >
    > Granted I'm running on elderly hardware but it all appears to be
    > functional, so I'm wondering if anybody seen anything like this before
    > and therefore may possibly have a clue as to what is happening? I have
    > checked the Xorg site but have, as yet, been unable to find any reports
    > of similar problems so I'm wondering if it may be Slackware 12 specific.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > PS: Almost forgot - I even tested with different mouse and keyboard,
    > just in case. Same results. Single-head good, dual-head bad. :-(

    Hi,
    For what it's worth I can report that I'm using Slack 12 with dual-head
    without any problems. I'm using the same xorg.conf that I used with Slack
    11. Can't remember if I had Slack 10 dual-head.
    Both NVidia's "nvidia" driver and Slackware's "nv" driver work OK
    dual-headed.
    Good luck...

  10. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    On 2007-10-07, Joe Dennigan wrote:

    > As to the kernel, I normally use the Slackware default as it has never
    > given me any noticeable problems in the past, but in this case I've
    > tried both kernel-generic-smp-2.6.21.5_smp-i686-2 (as recommended) and
    > kernel-generic-2.6.21.5-i486-2 to no avail.
    >
    > As I said in my original post, the first time I started X in dual-head
    > mode it worked. It was only when I stooped and restarted X that these
    > problems manifested themselves. At the moment I'm just trying to
    > establish, if I can, if this is more likely a problem with the distro,
    > the kernel, X or my hardware but, again as I said in my earlier post,
    > I have been unable to find any reports of similar problems so far.

    FWIW I have the same behavior with the very same setup. I can run X dual-headed
    most of the time, but if I want to quit X, I need to reboot. I suspect it is a
    kernel issue (especially as it completely kills the system -- must be power-
    cycled -- and no log file entries indicate any problem), but I haven't had time
    to track it down. If I get time to look at it, I'll let you know what I find.
    Please do the same.

    --grey

  11. Re: Slackware 12 and dual-head systems

    Joe Dennigan wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > This is my first post here, so you understand I must be getting
    > desperate.
    >
    > I've been running a dual-head system, on the same hardware, since
    > Slackware 10.1 without (major) difficulty. However, since I installed
    > 12, I have been unable to get dual-head working. Starting the X
    > server now results in a complete system lockup.
    >
    > When I first installed 12 the X server started and seemed to be
    > running fine but on stopping then restarting X the system locked. On
    > rebooting I found that the Xorg.0.log was only about 50 lines long.
    > Everything seemed to have come to a grinding halt during the pci scan.
    >
    > Following further failed attempts to restart X and examining the log
    > in between each one, I noticed that logging ceased at apparently
    > random points during the startup process such as loading a module or
    > while checking available modes. None of the failures produced the
    > same log.
    >
    > I then tried single-head operation, first with only one card installed
    > and then both and all worked as expected, but trying dual-head again
    > failed.
    >
    > I have tried installing a different pair of video cards but with the
    > same results and also experimented with all the posible combinations
    > of the video cards that I have.
    >
    > Granted I'm running on elderly hardware but it all appears to be
    > functional, so I'm wondering if anybody seen anything like this before
    > and therefore may possibly have a clue as to what is happening? I
    > have checked the Xorg site but have, as yet, been unable to find any
    > reports of similar problems so I'm wondering if it may be Slackware 12
    > specific.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > PS: Almost forgot - I even tested with different mouse and keyboard,
    > just in case. Same results. Single-head good, dual-head bad. :-(

    you did not mention which video cards you are trying to use?
    also how about posting the video card sections from your xorg.conf file
    are these both pci cards? or is one agp? if one is agp you might trying
    bios to allocate the irq to pci instead of agp (make the pci card post
    first)
    also what does lspci tell you about the id's?? did you add that to the
    xorg.conf? (BusID)

+ Reply to Thread