Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0 - Slackware ; On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:46:00 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote: > Rich Grise wrote: >> >> The boss wants email, and I don't even know where to start. .... > There are a few options: > -- pay for a ...

  1. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:46:00 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:
    > Rich Grise wrote:
    >>
    >> The boss wants email, and I don't even know where to start.

    > There are a few options:
    > -- pay for a (business) account with a fixed IP-number
    > -- arrange with your ISP that mail for your domain will be accepted
    > by their mail servers.
    > -- use services from a third party hosting provider.
    > But -if you value reliable mail services- don't run your own MX
    > on a dynamic IP number!

    OK, on this third party - did you or someone mention something like
    a "web hotel"? Is there someone out there that runs a mail server
    that will let us get email at, say joe@abiengr.com, rich@abiengr.com,
    and so on, using local email clients? How would I find one of those?

    I know I can Google, but what would be the best search terms?

    Thanks,
    Rich

  2. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:07:15 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:46:00 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:
    >> Rich Grise wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The boss wants email, and I don't even know where to start.

    >> There are a few options:
    >> -- pay for a (business) account with a fixed IP-number
    >> -- arrange with your ISP that mail for your domain will be accepted
    >> by their mail servers.
    >> -- use services from a third party hosting provider.
    >> But -if you value reliable mail services- don't run your own MX
    >> on a dynamic IP number!

    > OK, on this third party - did you or someone mention something like
    > a "web hotel"? Is there someone out there that runs a mail server
    > that will let us get email at, say joe@abiengr.com, rich@abiengr.com,
    > and so on, using local email clients? How would I find one of those?
    >
    > I know I can Google, but what would be the best search terms?

    Duh. "email hosting" only gives me "about 1,200,000 hits".

    Thanks, everybody, for your time.
    Rich

  3. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    Rich Grise wrote:
    > Duh. "email hosting" only gives me "about 1,200,000 hits".

    Fortunately it is not only one web hotel out there. There are a lot of
    them to choose from. Pick one that you think offers the right services for
    the right price. Different web hotels have different services. Some offer
    a lot of storage for web pages. Others offer good anti-spam services. Try
    to find a comparision between wet hotels and do your choice from that.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread