SO what's the consensus re: 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on SO what's the consensus re: 12 - Slackware ; It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12. Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. SO what's the consensus re: 12

    It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12. Most -no- all of my transitions
    from version to version of Slack have been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

  2. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    the_bmac wrote:

    > Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    I would say that I am, yes. I have Slackware-12.0 on a couple of
    laptops at the moment (one at work and the other at home), and have not
    had any serious troubles ... I intend to get it installed on a few
    workstations soon, and any new systems I work on will definitely run
    Slackware-12.0 (or newer, depending on when I work on new systems).

  3. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    the_bmac wrote:
    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    Yes AND no!
    Take in consideration that Slack users did not find it laying around but
    chose to use it for various reasons, the 'automagical' absence of
    'issues' was NOT one of them.
    So whoever is in this line, sharpened her/his 'issue' crunching teeth on
    previous versions. It used to be called "The Linux learning slope".
    So to answer your last sentence, yes it is smooth. In my case I knew
    what I am expecting, nothing 'seamless', for this you have to go to "the
    other OS" and learn how 'seamless' drives you 'loco'.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  4. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    the_bmac wrote:
    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    Yes AND no!
    Take in consideration that Slack users did not find it laying around but
    chose to use it for various reasons, the 'automagical' absence of
    'issues' was NOT one of them.
    So whoever is in this line, sharpened her/his 'issue' crunching teeth on
    previous versions. It used to be called "The Linux learning slope".
    So to answer your last sentence, yes it is smooth. In my case I knew
    what I am expecting, nothing 'seamless', for this you have to go to "the
    other OS" and learn how 'seamless' drives you 'loco'.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  5. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:02:40 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Hey Flattulence,

    You're still double-posting.

  6. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    In article <13gctcmgk9tkh24@news.supernews.com>, the_bmac
    wrote:

    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    No problems at this end. The key is following UPGRADE.TXT to the letter
    (unless you know exactly what you are doing and why).

    - Martijn

  7. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:02:40 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >
    >> Stanislaw
    >> Slack user from Ulladulla.

    > Hey Flattulence,
    >
    > You're still double-posting.

    I noticed and it seems to stay with 'damn a.o.l.s'.
    Maybe change of distro will do.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw

  8. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    the_bmac wrote:
    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12. Most -no- all of my transitions
    > from version to version of Slack have been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    I imagine we take notice of the problems - those without problems don't
    mention them - usually.

    I'm really impressed. I just bought a new computer. This time around,
    I didn't build it myself, so I had to deal with all the odd hardware
    that gets stuck in those prefab boxes. My last install was 10.2, and
    I had not before used the 2.6.x kernel.

    Right now, it just seems like there *must* be more for me to do, but I'm
    all done. The flash drives worked right off the bat, the nvidia drivers
    installed no issue, cdrecord already recognizes my CDRW, I put in new hardware,
    and the modules automagically get loaded with no mods to the rc.modules file.
    I haven't needed to do a kernel recompile. Lockdown was a minimal effort -
    even though I installed everything. And, most importantly, DOOM III
    installed without a hitch. However, I can't get Quake III Arena to
    play sound. It thinks the device is busy for some reason (it isn't).
    I'm guessing the new /dev stuff is messing things up.

    The only thing that was problematic was preserving the Windows Vista
    garbage. I decided to keep Vista on the computer, and at first thought
    it would be easy since Vista now includes a built in drive "shrink"
    utility. Well, out of 320 GB, Vista could chop 8 GB off the end of
    that.... After a little bit of effort I was able to get the system
    files that were being stored on the end of the hard drive for some
    strange reason moved, and I was able to make most of the hard drive
    available for Linux use.

    - Kurt

  9. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:35:48 -0400, the_bmac wrote:

    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    I found mod-X to be a big improvement and the 2.6 kernels being standard
    good. Upgrading is always dicey. I ALWAYS install on a clean partition and
    migrate settings. Keeping a good log of what you have is crucial though.

    --
    Peter

  10. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:35:48 -0400, the_bmac wrote:

    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    Hi

    No issues with 12 here. Runs OK for me.
    Even patched to realtime kernel with patch-2.6.21.5-rt20.
    Also runs virtually OK in VMWare Player.
    And on my son's PC too.
    NVidia 1.0-9755 drivers no probs either.

    Cheers

  11. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote :

    > I noticed and it seems to stay with 'damn a.o.l.s'.
    > Maybe change of distro will do.

    You are posting your messages to two servers simultaneously, a change of
    distro wont change anything.

    If you are using Leafnode then you can stop sending to one of the
    servers by using "nopost = 1".
    --
    Thomas O.

  12. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    the_bmac wrote:
    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12. Most -no- all of my transitions
    > from version to version of Slack have been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    I think the answer to this questions depends on whether you have
    upgraded from scratch or following the UPGRADE.txt.

    I have followed the latter and I'd probably not do it again.
    I have had a lot of issues with split packages that should have been
    installed before going back to runlevel 1 (notably aaa_terminfo
    and which). I'm also running into problems generating a new
    xorg.conf file.

    I like the idea of a manual upgrade but many details have been
    assumed that should have been explained further.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  13. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    On 2007-10-07, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    > I think the answer to this questions depends on whether you have
    > upgraded from scratch or following the UPGRADE.txt.
    >
    > I have followed the latter and I'd probably not do it again.
    > I have had a lot of issues with split packages that should have been
    > installed before going back to runlevel 1 (notably aaa_terminfo
    > and which). I'm also running into problems generating a new
    > xorg.conf file.
    >
    > I like the idea of a manual upgrade but many details have been
    > assumed that should have been explained further.

    What details are those?

    http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-12.0/UPGRADE.TXT
    Note step #9 in the instructions:

    9. Upgrade/install everything else using "upgradepkg --install-new" - note
    that you can skip the KDEI series if your only language is English.
    Even if you do need something in this series, it might be best to skip
    it for now and then install only what you need later.

    I suppose it *could* have been more specific in the beginning about
    where to mount package trees and such, and then the "everything else"
    instructions could have said something like this:
    upgradepkg --install-new /mnt/slackware/*/*.tgz

    HOWEVER... I'm going to be called elitist for this, and be aware that
    the following is should not be construed as anything more than MY opinion:

    I'm inclined to believe that anyone for whom the details on mounting or
    accessing the filesystem containing the Slackware 12.0 tree needs to
    be explicitly spelled out should probably do a fresh installation anyway.
    There are quite a few potential pitfalls in the upgrade instructions
    that require more familiarity with Slackware to address, so if that one
    is a problem, well... in police work, that's what they call a clue.

    RW

  14. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    the_bmac wrote:
    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    No probs here and this on a really old rig, 440BX(?) m/b w/ 450 PII. I
    thought there might be probs with such old hardware, but no. Did a new
    install (always do)and runs as good as always. What were you expecting?
    This is not Red Hat or Ubuntu.

    nb

  15. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    Robby Workman writes:

    > On 2007-10-07, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    [...]

    >> I like the idea of a manual upgrade but many details have been
    >> assumed that should have been explained further.

    > What details are those?
    >
    > http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-12.0/UPGRADE.TXT
    > Note step #9 in the instructions:
    >
    > 9. Upgrade/install everything else using "upgradepkg
    > --install-new" - note that you can skip the KDEI series if your
    > only language is English. Even if you do need something in this
    > series, it might be best to skip it for now and then install only
    > what you need later.

    [...]

    This confused me at first, then after I realized I could use
    wildcards, things went a lot quicker

    I greatly enjoyed seeing which packages were getting upgraded.

    Anybody who calls rworkman an elitist for one comment here has missed
    all of his informative posts on Linuxquestions.org.

    Joel
    --
    Joel J. Adamson
    Biostatistician

  16. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2007-10-07, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > >
    > > I think the answer to this questions depends on whether you have
    > > upgraded from scratch or following the UPGRADE.txt.
    > >
    > > I have followed the latter and I'd probably not do it again.
    > > I have had a lot of issues with split packages that should have been
    > > installed before going back to runlevel 1 (notably aaa_terminfo
    > > and which). I'm also running into problems generating a new
    > > xorg.conf file.
    > >
    > > I like the idea of a manual upgrade but many details have been
    > > assumed that should have been explained further.

    > What details are those?

    I'd have mentioned to install 'aaa_terminfo' and 'which' just before
    switching to runlevel 3, and I'd have mentioned which xorg packages
    replace the old x11-* packages. See, weeks after upgrading I'm still
    left guessing.

    > I suppose it *could* have been more specific in the beginning about
    > where to mount package trees and such, and then the "everything else"
    > instructions could have said something like this:
    > upgradepkg --install-new /mnt/slackware/*/*.tgz

    I don't think anybody would have had problems with that or if they
    had, they wouldn't have upgraded anyway.

    I must say that, apart from the hassle, it's pretty fun, nearly as
    much as playing with Debian-Sid with Canonical contributed botched
    packages....

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com

  17. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

  18. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    the_bmac wrote:
    > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    I wouldn't call it seamless. I installed it to an external USB drive,
    and I'm booting with a homemade Grub (two-stage) boot disk.

    Before I would load the modules that I needed (like usb-storage) in the
    first stage. With the huge kernel the same kind of boot disk works,
    but I load no modules in the first stage.

    I really would like to know how to boot the smaller kernel. I haven't
    pursued this, but if I did I would have to figure out what modules to
    load. It seems the module names have changed since 10.2. I'm a tad
    confused. Anyone out there know what modules I will likely need? Or
    know how I can find out?

    Otherwise, the install went smoothly.

    -Joe

  19. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    Joseph Rosevear wrote:
    > the_bmac wrote:
    > > It seems that many users in here have seen a lot of issues with 12.
    > > Most -no- all of my transitions from version to version of Slack have
    > > been quite seamless. Anyone enjoying a smooth switch to 12?

    My experiences with v12.0 have been mostly pleasant; I upgraded 4 machines
    to 12.0 via the -current path (though R. Workman's upgrade notes were
    crucial). The 4 machines are:

    2 desktops - Dell Precision 360 (work), Athlon 1400 (ancient)

    2 laptops - Dell Latitude D820 (sweet), Dell Latitude C400 (ancient).

    Only the C400 presented me with any (still unresolved) problems.
    Apparently the new Xorg drivers just do not want to play nice with
    the old Intel integrated graphics in the C400; I have to close and then
    re-open the lid after issuing startx to get the graphical display working.
    An annoyance, but I can live with it..

    I am having some problems with the new OpenOffice 2.3 (thanx again,
    R. Workman!) and its interaction with the nvidia TwinView feature on
    the D820, but this likely is not an issue directly related to Slack.

    Steve

  20. Re: SO what's the consensus re: 12

    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > Honestly if some one can't read UPGRADE.TXT and then upgrade their 11.0
    > box to 12.0, they need to go back to grammar school and pay attention
    > during the "following instructions" part.

    If it were for you there would be no bug reports, tech support,
    post install assistance and the likes, just RTFM and there you go.

    You're on your way to be the next Dan C.

    --
    Ottavio
    http

+ Reply to Thread