no live distro can work... - Slackware

This is a discussion on no live distro can work... - Slackware ; my brother has this configuration: motherboard = P5L 1394 graph. card = NX 8800 GTS processors = Intel Pentium Core Duo 1,87Ghz RAM = 2Gb harddisks = ATA 80Gb + SATA 160Gb cd = some combo dvd... on this configuration ...

  1. no live distro can work...

    my brother has this configuration:

    motherboard = P5L 1394
    graph. card = NX 8800 GTS
    processors = Intel Pentium Core Duo 1,87Ghz
    RAM = 2Gb
    harddisks = ATA 80Gb + SATA 160Gb
    cd = some combo dvd...

    on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    following distributions:
    dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM...
    i presumed that maybe problem is 2 processors and because of that i
    downloaded from suse website live distro (openSUSE 10.2 GM) for dual
    core...but it doesn't work...
    problem appears during the system initialisation...
    are there any live distro than can work on this computer?

    thanx in advance:-)

    --
    ....I On ode...Bezzecci od medveda...

  2. Re: no live distro can work...

    On 2007-10-04, Bison Lili wrote:

    > on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    > following distributions:
    > dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM...

    Did you have a Slackware question? If not, please ask somewhere else.
    Did you know Slackware is not a live-cd distro? Try Slax for a live-cd
    derivative of Slackware.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: no live distro can work...

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-10-04, Bison Lili wrote:
    >> on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    >> following distributions:
    >> dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM...

    > Did you have a Slackware question? If not, please ask somewhere else.
    > Did you know Slackware is not a live-cd distro? Try Slax for a live-cd
    > derivative of Slackware.
    >
    > --keith

    Or Vector which boasts close relation to The Best Distro.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  4. Re: no live distro can work...

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:20:56 +0000, Bison Lili wrote:

    > my brother has this configuration:
    >
    > motherboard = P5L 1394
    > graph. card = NX 8800 GTS
    > processors = Intel Pentium Core Duo 1,87Ghz
    > RAM = 2Gb
    > harddisks = ATA 80Gb + SATA 160Gb
    > cd = some combo dvd...
    >
    > on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    > following distributions:
    > dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM...
    > i presumed that maybe problem is 2 processors and because of that i
    > downloaded from suse website live distro (openSUSE 10.2 GM) for dual
    > core...but it doesn't work...
    > problem appears during the system initialisation...
    > are there any live distro than can work on this computer?
    >
    > thanx in advance:-)

    Did you try any of the 'cheatcodes' that most Live CDs offer? I've found a
    couple of systems that require noscsi or noapic.

  5. Re: no live distro can work...

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-10-04, Bison Lili wrote:
    >> on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    >> following distributions:
    >> dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM...

    > Did you have a Slackware question? If not, please ask somewhere else.
    > Did you know Slackware is not a live-cd distro? Try Slax for a live-cd
    > derivative of Slackware.
    >
    > --keith

    Or Vector which boasts close relation to The Best Distro.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  6. Re: no live distro can work...

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:40:21 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Or Vector which boasts close relation to The Best Distro.

    Are you aware that all of your recent posts have been double-posted?

  7. Re: no live distro can work...

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:40:21 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >
    >> Or Vector which boasts close relation to The Best Distro.

    > Are you aware that all of your recent posts have been double-posted?

    Yes, and it worries me. As always in 'computers' it 'worked' well two
    days ago. Will clean the mouse ears!

    Have fun

    Stanislaw

  8. Re: no live distro can work...

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:40:21 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >
    >> Or Vector which boasts close relation to The Best Distro.

    > Are you aware that all of your recent posts have been double-posted?

    Yes, and it worries me. As always in 'computers' it 'worked' well two
    days ago. Will clean the mouse ears!

    Have fun

    Stanislaw

  9. Re: no live distro can work...

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:40:21 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or Vector which boasts close relation to The Best Distro.

    >> Are you aware that all of your recent posts have been double-posted?
    >>

    > Yes, and it worries me. As always in 'computers' it 'worked' well two
    > days ago. Will clean the mouse ears!
    >
    > Have fun
    >
    > Stanislaw

    Maybe it should be the other end of the mouse that you investigate :-)

    Cheers
    --
    David Robley

    And he disappeared in a puff of logic.
    Today is Pungenday, the 59th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173.

  10. Re: no live distro can work...

    Bison Lili writes:

    [...]

    > on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    > following distributions:
    > dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM...

    Did you try PCLinuxOS? It has excellent hardware detection.

    Slax is good too. If your aim is to install Slackware, I would
    suggest trying out Slax or just installing Slackware.

    Joel

    --
    Joel J. Adamson
    Biostatistician

  11. Re: no live distro can work...

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:20:56 +0000, Bison Lili wrote:

    > my brother has this configuration:
    >
    > motherboard = P5L 1394
    > graph. card = NX 8800 GTS
    > processors = Intel Pentium Core Duo 1,87Ghz
    > RAM = 2Gb
    > harddisks = ATA 80Gb + SATA 160Gb
    > cd = some combo dvd...
    >
    > on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    > following distributions:
    > dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM...
    > i presumed that maybe problem is 2 processors and because of that i
    > downloaded from suse website live distro (openSUSE 10.2 GM) for dual
    > core...but it doesn't work...
    > problem appears during the system initialisation...
    > are there any live distro than can work on this computer?
    >
    > thanx in advance:-)

    Have you tried Slack 10.0, disk 2?

    Good Luck!
    Rich

  12. Re: no live distro can work...

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:09:29 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:20:56 +0000, Bison Lili wrote:
    >
    >> my brother has this configuration:
    >>
    >> motherboard = P5L 1394
    >> graph. card = NX 8800 GTS
    >> processors = Intel Pentium Core Duo 1,87Ghz
    >> RAM = 2Gb
    >> harddisks = ATA 80Gb + SATA 160Gb
    >> cd = some combo dvd...
    >>

    > Have you tried Slack 10.0, disk 2?
    >
    > Good Luck!
    > Rich

    "Slackware 10.0, disc 2" might work, but I doubt it. It might work if the
    motherboard is using an PATA (IDE) chipset supported by the kernel on the
    CD. However, most newer motherboards are switching over to use the SATA
    disk drive interface. The new boards generally include only one PATA (IDE)
    connector. And a lot of the motherboard manufacturers use the JMicron
    chipset to drive the PATA interface. When these boards first appeared,
    the Linux kernel lacked support. But AFAIK, support is included with
    recent kernels; for example, it works with 2.6.21.x included with
    Slackware 12.

    The OP's report is surprising, because from what I had heard the Knoppix,
    Slax, and Ubuntu live CDs are very good at recognizing the user's hardware
    and for "magically" producing a GNU/Linux system running from RAM. If the
    problems the OP is having is related to the kernel problem I noted above,
    then it is very likely to be fixed shortly.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  13. Re: no live distro can work...

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:20:56 +0000, Bison Lili wrote:

    > my brother has this configuration:
    >
    > motherboard = P5L 1394
    > graph. card = NX 8800 GTS
    > processors = Intel Pentium Core Duo 1,87Ghz RAM = 2Gb
    > harddisks = ATA 80Gb + SATA 160Gb
    > cd = some combo dvd...
    >
    > on this configuration not a single LIVE DISTRO can work...i tried
    > following distributions:
    > dynebolic version 2.1, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 5.1.1, openSUSE 10.2 GM... i
    > presumed that maybe problem is 2 processors and because of that i
    > downloaded from suse website live distro (openSUSE 10.2 GM) for dual
    > core...but it doesn't work...
    > problem appears during the system initialisation... are there any live
    > distro than can work on this computer?
    >
    > thanx in advance:-)

    I had problems with those distros too. You know what DID work?
    Slackware derived distros -- Slax & Vector.
    I usrge you to try those.

+ Reply to Thread