rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12 - Slackware ; Hi, I wonder if anyone has managed to make rtl8180 wifi card work in access point mode under Slackware 12? It does work but only in ad-hoc mode, so possibly one could give a hint if access point works at ...

  1. rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12

    Hi,

    I wonder if anyone has managed to make rtl8180 wifi card work in access
    point mode under Slackware 12?

    It does work but only in ad-hoc mode, so possibly one could give a hint if
    access point works at all.

    Thank you.

    --
    luk

  2. Re: rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:07:29 +0200, lukaswu wrote:

    > I wonder if anyone has managed to make rtl8180 wifi card work in access
    > point mode under Slackware 12?

    Which driver and version are you using for it?

    > It does work but only in ad-hoc mode,

    That certainly is not true. I have an RTL8180 Cardbus card, but all the
    Linux drivers I found to work with it have worked in managed mode. (I
    have never tried ad-hoc mode.)

    Ndiswrapper (recent versions) also definitely works with these cards under
    recent kernels.

    > so possibly one could give a hint
    > if access point works at all.

    If you absolutely have to build an access point around the machine with
    this card, then the OpenBSD/NetBSD driver for it _does_ operate in access
    point mode.

    One other thing: I have seen issues with using these cards when ACPI is
    enabled - the card driver keeps resetting. Try turning ACPI off.

  3. Re: rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12

    > Which driver and version are you using for it?

    It comes from https://rtl-wifi.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rtl-wifi and it
    is snapshot from 2007-02-17 since the very latest version did not want to
    compile.

    Which drivers are you using?

    > Ndiswrapper (recent versions) also definitely works with these cards under
    > recent kernels.

    I'd rather use open version of drivers

    > If you absolutely have to build an access point around the machine with
    > this card, then the OpenBSD/NetBSD driver for it _does_ operate in access
    > point mode.

    Gave up using OBSD some time ago, anyway i guess sort of emulation is
    needed for this drivers as well

    > One other thing: I have seen issues with using these cards when ACPI is
    > enabled - the card driver keeps resetting. Try turning ACPI off.

    I read that this card is really faddy, though this time (kernel 2.6)
    either it works or lands in the trash.

    --
    luk

  4. Re: rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:55:24 +0200, lukaswu wrote:

    >> Which driver and version are you using for it?

    > It comes from https://rtl-wifi.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rtl-wifi and it
    > is snapshot from 2007-02-17 since the very latest version did not want to
    > compile.

    I don't believe that any of the Linux drivers have an access point mode.
    Why not just buy a cheap wireless router, they are under like $50 these
    days.

    > Which drivers are you using?

    I have a commercial access point (MSI) so I don't need to try to use these
    cards to build an access point. All the up-to-date drivers seem to work
    well in managed mode.

    >> Ndiswrapper (recent versions) also definitely works with these cards under
    >> recent kernels.

    > I'd rather use open version of drivers

    Well, ndiswrapper doesn't have an access point mode either, IIRR. I know
    you can run the card in managed mode, which is what most people want to do.

    >> If you absolutely have to build an access point around the machine with
    >> this card, then the OpenBSD/NetBSD driver for it _does_ operate in
    >> access point mode.

    > Gave up using OBSD some time ago, anyway i guess sort of emulation is
    > needed for this drivers as well

    You'd guess wrong. BSD people are apparently rather more capable of
    reverse engineering than Linux people, which would explain why pretty much
    any wireless device will work in OpenBSD.

    >> One other thing: I have seen issues with using these cards when ACPI is
    >> enabled - the card driver keeps resetting. Try turning ACPI off.
    >>

    > I read that this card is really faddy, though this time (kernel 2.6)
    > either it works or lands in the trash.

    I don't think it's faddy. It's an 802.11b chipset, they haven't been sold
    much after 2005.

    If you don't want it, I'll take it, they are really good cards within
    their limitations.

  5. Re: rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12

    > I don't believe that any of the Linux drivers have an access point mode.
    > Why not just buy a cheap wireless router, they are under like $50 these
    > days.

    Sad news. I do not like these wireless routers, besides i prefer to have
    everything in one box and let linux work.

    Thank you for your help.

    --
    luk

  6. Re: rtl8180 as WAP and Slackware 12

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:49:49 +0200, lukaswu wrote:

    >> I don't believe that any of the Linux drivers have an access point mode.
    >> Why not just buy a cheap wireless router, they are under like $50 these
    >> days.

    > Sad news. I do not like these wireless routers, besides i prefer to have
    > everything in one box and let linux work.

    Then you will have to check out which chipsets are supported by the hostap
    driver, and get one of those.

    Or, as I said before, consider {Net|Open}BSD as the basis for the
    solution. They are very close to Slackware in approach and configuration.

    > Thank you for your help.

    I wish I had been able to provide some....

+ Reply to Thread