Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0 - Slackware ; Rich Grise wrote: > The boss wants email, and I don't even know where to start. Well, > I know we need an MX record, which I have no idea how to construct, > and need to write a sendmail.cf ...

  1. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    Rich Grise wrote:
    > The boss wants email, and I don't even know where to start. Well,
    > I know we need an MX record, which I have no idea how to construct,
    > and need to write a sendmail.cf file, which I also have no idea how
    > to do, and don't know what-all else it wound need.

    The quick and easy solution would be to get an account on a web-hotel. On
    most of those you will not only get web pages but also a domain with email
    accounts and email forwarders.

    Yes, it is also possible to run your own server with DNS pointing to your
    server for both web and mail, but especially as you don't even have a
    fixed IP address I would prefer to put those services on a web hotell.

    There might be a comment in sendmail.cf to not edit that file, but it is
    possible to edit it anyway. I have been editing that file a few times,
    usually to set a smart relay or change some timeout values. However, I
    have only configured sendmail for internal networks or sending smtp only,
    I have never configured sendmail to accept email from internet. If you
    mess that up your server might end up as an open relay flooding the rest
    of internet with spam.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  2. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:50:22 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Rich Grise wrote:
    >> The boss wants email, and I don't even know where to start. Well,
    >> I know we need an MX record, which I have no idea how to construct,
    >> and need to write a sendmail.cf file, which I also have no idea how
    >> to do, and don't know what-all else it wound need.

    > The quick and easy solution would be to get an account on a web-hotel. On
    > most of those you will not only get web pages but also a domain with email
    > accounts and email forwarders.
    >
    > Yes, it is also possible to run your own server with DNS pointing to your
    > server for both web and mail, but especially as you don't even have a
    > fixed IP address I would prefer to put those services on a web hotell.
    >
    > There might be a comment in sendmail.cf to not edit that file, but it is
    > possible to edit it anyway. I have been editing that file a few times,
    > usually to set a smart relay or change some timeout values. However, I
    > have only configured sendmail for internal networks or sending smtp only,
    > I have never configured sendmail to accept email from internet. If you
    > mess that up your server might end up as an open relay flooding the rest
    > of internet with spam.

    The PHB wants mail that's addressed to jivy@abiengr.com to show up on
    our server, rather than redirecting it to his AOL account.

    Would this "web-hotel" make it look like we have a real mail server
    here, on the box where we have our website?

    Thanks,
    Rich

  3. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Rich Grise wrote:

    > There might be a comment in sendmail.cf to not edit that file, but it is
    > possible to edit it anyway. I have been editing that file a few times,
    > usually to set a smart relay or change some timeout values. However, I

    You'll loose your changes whenever you need to update the sendmail.cf
    file after a sendmail update.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen

  4. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    Kees Theunissen wrote:

    >> There might be a comment in sendmail.cf to not edit that file, but it
    >> is possible to edit it anyway. I have been editing that file a few
    >> times, usually to set a smart relay or change some timeout values.

    > You'll loose your changes whenever you need to update the sendmail.cf
    > file after a sendmail update.

    So far I haven't seen any such problem. This is from a Slackware 9.1
    machine:

    ls -al /etc/mail/sendmail.cf*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57489 Sep 17 2003 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60165 Jun 15 2006 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.new

    Usually when a package is upgraded in Slackware the configuration file is
    not overwritten, but a new updated configuration file has the extension
    ..new.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: Setting up email on Slack 11.0

    Rich Grise wrote:
    > The PHB wants mail that's addressed to jivy@abiengr.com to show up on
    > our server, rather than redirecting it to his AOL account.
    >
    > Would this "web-hotel" make it look like we have a real mail server
    > here, on the box where we have our website?

    You will also most likely place your website on the web hotel. So yes, you
    will get a real mail server running where you have your website. It will
    look more professional than having a servers on dynamic IP addresses at
    some ISP. Most web hotels have functionality to redirect email to other
    email accounts like and AOL account, but also the possibility to fetch
    email from a pop3 account at the web hotel. Most web hotels also have a
    web client for email so you can use a web browser to read and write email.

    I usually prefer to use fetchmail to get my emails by pop3 from web
    hotels. Then I configure sendmail for outgoing emails only. Sendmail is on
    running on my internal network and is protected by firewalls so it is not
    possible to connect to my sendmail from internet.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread