Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine - Slackware ; On Oct 4, 3:06 pm, "Paulo Costa" wrote: > escreveu na mensagemnews:1191453254.858769.265290@g4g2000hsf.g ooglegroups.com... > > ... remember even seeing a DOS 6.2 screen once > in one ATM being serviced... They probably ran Windows 3.11 on top of it...! > ...

  1. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    On Oct 4, 3:06 pm, "Paulo Costa" wrote:
    > escreveu na mensagemnews:1191453254.858769.265290@g4g2000hsf.g ooglegroups.com...
    >
    > ... remember even seeing a DOS 6.2 screen once
    > in one ATM being serviced... They probably ran Windows 3.11 on top of it...!
    > I've seen shutdown screens of NT ("You may turn your computer off"), BSOD
    > (any version will offer you these) and DOS 'dir' listings...

    That's how serious they take customer service, using an OS'es for
    service provision that are known to be unreliable.

    > I doubt the costs of reconverting such a network to another

    OS would compensate, given the benefits that could be collected.

    You're probably right, as long as it still sort of works and people
    don't complain. Tidy profits are everything to banks, and we now live
    in an era where each year achieves new heights in record profits. All
    by mostly screwing people over.//Sorry, end of rant.//

    B.Hoffmann

  2. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:47:46 -0700, dark.project wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 3:06 pm, "Paulo Costa" wrote:
    >> escreveu na mensagemnews:1191453254.858769.265290@g4g2000hsf.g ooglegroups.com...
    >>
    >> ... remember even seeing a DOS 6.2 screen once
    >> in one ATM being serviced... They probably ran Windows 3.11 on top of it...!
    >> I've seen shutdown screens of NT ("You may turn your computer off"), BSOD
    >> (any version will offer you these) and DOS 'dir' listings...

    > That's how serious they take customer service, using an OS'es for
    > service provision that are known to be unreliable.
    >
    >> I doubt the costs of reconverting such a network to another

    > OS would compensate, given the benefits that could be collected.
    >
    > You're probably right, as long as it still sort of works and people
    > don't complain. Tidy profits are everything to banks, and we now live
    > in an era where each year achieves new heights in record profits. All
    > by mostly screwing people over.//Sorry, end of rant.//

    Some months ago, I saw some kind of commercial - I don't know what
    they were selling, but the scene is a cop car slowly patrolling some
    dark alley. They chat up some street guy, ask him something, and he
    says, "Oh, you have to press F8 to get your boot options..."

    Let's make sure that Homeland Security relies on Windows! ;-)

    Cheers!
    Rich

+ Reply to Thread