Network monitor tool - Slackware

This is a discussion on Network monitor tool - Slackware ; I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?...

  1. Network monitor tool

    I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?

  2. Re: Network monitor tool

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:50:15 +0000, frz wrote:

    > I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    > computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    > machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?

    Why are you here? You don't use Slackware, or any other flavor of Linux,
    and never have.

    Go do your ****ing trolling in some other group, win-droid. Bugger off.

  3. Re: Network monitor tool

    On 2007-10-04, frz wrote:
    > I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    > computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    > machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?

    ntop is one... if you run kde, there's also knemo

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    WWW: http://www.sekurity.com

    "This is my Linux box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My Linux box is my best friend. It is my life."

  4. Re: Network monitor tool

    Dan C wrote:

    > Go do your ****ing trolling in some other group, win-droid. Bugger off.

    Lighten up, Dan. Win-droids aren't always that way by choice.

    I've recently moved and now am on a dead slow dial up out in the boonies
    and am stuck on a XP box whether I like it or not. If you know how to
    make an Agere AC'97 WinModem work on slack, or any other linux, I'd sure
    like to hear it.

    I've two boxes with this winmodem and it's a nightmare. Slack's
    setup-ppp doc say winmodems won't work and just not supported by linux,
    but it's over 5 yrs old. Hasn't anyone solved this yet? I usually try
    and find the answers myself, but at a dial-up speed of a blistering
    3.0KB/sec max, searching the web is sheer torture. Downloads are a
    crapshoot, at best. I was lucky enough to find this ISP (localnet.com)
    that actually provided free newsgroups for its measly $10 month. I was
    stunned and signed up immediately.

    nb ....stuck in ol' Nosepick CO again......

  5. Re: Network monitor tool

    notbob wrote:
    > I've recently moved and now am on a dead slow dial up out in the boonies
    > and am stuck on a XP box whether I like it or not. If you know how to
    > make an Agere AC'97 WinModem work on slack, or any other linux, I'd sure
    > like to hear it.

    a google search suggests that a driver called slmodem may work with your
    modem. it's actually a driver for a smartlink modem, but that one has the
    same hardware.

    alternatively, buy an external hardware modem. i doubt they're very
    expensive.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  6. Re: Network monitor tool

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:45:31 -0600, notbob wrote:

    >> Go do your ****ing trolling in some other group, win-droid. Bugger off.

    > Lighten up, Dan. Win-droids aren't always that way by choice.

    Perhaps not always, but the OP is a win-droid troll, by choice.

    > I've recently moved and now am on a dead slow dial up out in the boonies
    > and am stuck on a XP box whether I like it or not. If you know how to
    > make an Agere AC'97 WinModem work on slack, or any other linux, I'd sure
    > like to hear it.

    Sorry, have never toyed with a win-modem. You could always buy a cheap
    external modem, which will work fine with Linux.

  7. Re: Network monitor tool

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > notbob wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently moved and now am on a dead slow dial up out in the
    >> boonies and am stuck on a XP box whether I like it or not. If
    >> you know how to make an Agere AC'97 WinModem work on slack, or
    >> any other linux, I'd sure like to hear it.

    > a google search suggests that a driver called slmodem may work
    > with your modem. it's actually a driver for a smartlink modem,
    > but that one has the same hardware.
    >
    > alternatively, buy an external hardware modem. i doubt they're
    > very expensive.

    After about 15 years of operation my US Robotics V90 external modem
    died. However I had picked up a new V92 PCI internal US Robotics
    modem for $19.50 a while ago, so the disturbance was minimal. I
    did have to open the case.

  8. Re: Network monitor tool

    On Oct 4, 9:21 am, Dan C wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:50:15 +0000, frz wrote:
    > > I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    > > computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    > > machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?

    > Why are you here? You don't use Slackware, or any other flavor of Linux,
    > and never have.
    >
    > Go do your ****ing trolling in some other group, win-droid. Bugger off.
    >
    > --
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.

    I have slackware linux on my home laptop computer and I use
    thunderbird as my news reader. Most often when I post though, I am at
    work on a winXP pc and on google news.

  9. Re: Network monitor tool

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:31:30 +0000, frz wrote:

    >> Why are you here? You don't use Slackware, or any other flavor of Linux,
    >> and never have.

    > I have slackware linux on my home laptop computer and I use
    > thunderbird as my news reader.

    Sure you do. Why don't you prove yourself a little, and make a post here
    tonight, from your Slackware laptop. Can you do that?

    Just to make it interesting, post the output of the following command here:
    uname -a

    >Most often when I post though, I am at work on a winXP pc and on google

    < news.

    Does your employer know you're wasting his time and using his bandwidth
    for stuff like this?

  10. Re: Network monitor tool

    > Does your employer know you're wasting his time and using his bandwidth
    > for stuff like this?
    >
    > --
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.

    I see it this way. Its either wasting a few minutes of the internet or
    smoking cigarettes outside the building every half hour that
    supposedly keep some folks from jumping out the window and end their
    miserable lives. Since I don't smoke...

  11. Re: Network monitor tool

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:37:39 +0000, frz wrote:

    >> Does your employer know you're wasting his time and using his bandwidth
    >> for stuff like this?

    > I see it this way. Its either wasting a few minutes of the internet or
    > smoking cigarettes outside the building every half hour that
    > supposedly keep some folks from jumping out the window and end their
    > miserable lives. Since I don't smoke...

    Ask your employer if he sees it that way.

  12. Re: Network monitor tool

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > After about 15 years of operation my US Robotics V90 external modem
    > died. However I had picked up a new V92 PCI internal US Robotics
    > modem for $19.50 a while ago, so the disturbance was minimal. I
    > did have to open the case.

    OPen case surgery no problem. What was the model/version of the "new
    V92 PCI US Robotics modem for $19.50" and where did you get it? That's
    precisely what I'm looking for. Thank you.

    nb

  13. Re: Network monitor tool

    notbob wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> After about 15 years of operation my US Robotics V90 external
    >> modem died. However I had picked up a new V92 PCI internal US
    >> Robotics modem for $19.50 a while ago, so the disturbance was
    >> minimal. I did have to open the case.

    > OPen case surgery no problem. What was the model/version of the
    > "new V92 PCI US Robotics modem for $19.50" and where did you get
    > it? That's precisely what I'm looking for. Thank you.

    The box is marked "Model 5610B". That was an unloading clearance
    sale at Staples, maybe a year ago.

  14. Re: Network monitor tool

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > The box is marked "Model 5610B". That was an unloading clearance
    > sale at Staples, maybe a year ago.

    No problem. Someone is bound to have one, an on-line retailer or ebay.
    The model number just makes it that much easier. Thnx.

    nb

  15. Re: Network monitor tool

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:31:30 +0000, frz wrote:
    >
    >>> Why are you here? You don't use Slackware, or any other flavor of Linux,
    >>> and never have.

    >> I have slackware linux on my home laptop computer and I use
    >> thunderbird as my news reader.

    > Sure you do. Why don't you prove yourself a little, and make a post here
    > tonight, from your Slackware laptop. Can you do that?
    >
    > Just to make it interesting, post the output of the following command here:
    > uname -a

    Linux frz 2.6.21.5-smp #2 SMP Tue Jun 19 14:58:11 CDT 2007 i686 Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

  16. Re: Network monitor tool

    martin@ivalice.sekurity.com wrote:
    > On 2007-10-04, frz wrote:
    >> I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    >> computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    >> machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?
    >>

    > ntop is one... if you run kde, there's also knemo

    I don't seem to have ntop installed and I am using the xfce desktop. I
    don't think I have knemo either.

  17. Re: Network monitor tool

    martin@ivalice.sekurity.com wrote:
    > On 2007-10-04, frz wrote:
    >> I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    >> computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    >> machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?
    >>

    > ntop is one... if you run kde, there's also knemo

    I am trying to install ntop and I am getting this error
    "configure: error: Unable to find RRD at /usr/local/rrdtool: please use
    --with-rrd-home=DIR"
    So I went to check and I also didn't have this directory rrdtool in
    /usr/local. I went and got rrdtool and install it. rrdtool seem to have
    install with no problem but, I am still getting this error from ntop.
    How can I get this to work? Thanks

  18. Re: Network monitor tool

    FRZ wrote:
    > martin@ivalice.sekurity.com wrote:
    >> On 2007-10-04, frz wrote:
    >>> I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    >>> computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    >>> machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?
    >>>

    >> ntop is one... if you run kde, there's also knemo
    >>

    > I am trying to install ntop and I am getting this error
    > "configure: error: Unable to find RRD at /usr/local/rrdtool: please use
    > --with-rrd-home=DIR"
    > So I went to check and I also didn't have this directory rrdtool in
    > /usr/local. I went and got rrdtool and install it. rrdtool seem to have
    > install with no problem but, I am still getting this error from ntop.
    > How can I get this to work? Thanks

    i have the same problem and i skimmed through the makefile, configure
    and configure.ac
    but couldn't find the error

  19. Re: Network monitor tool

    Op Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:50:15 +0000, schreef frz:

    > I was looking for a network monitor tool that gives me an idea of my
    > computer's connection to any network. I found TCPdump already on my
    > machine. What other good programs do you guys recommand?

    try "iptraf"

    Just type it in a terminal window.

+ Reply to Thread