Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine - Slackware ; dark.project@ntlworld.com wrote: > Using google groups while getting slrn configured. GUI newsreaders > suck. It's a pity that Opera can only fetch 250 messages when first > subscribing. Apparently that can't be changed according to their > website, it's a ...

  1. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    dark.project@ntlworld.com wrote:

    > Using google groups while getting slrn configured. GUI newsreaders
    > suck. It's a pity that Opera can only fetch 250 messages when first
    > subscribing. Apparently that can't be changed according to their
    > website, it's a huge drawback. Well, Opera wasn't designed for
    > newsgroups, it's just an add-on.

    It seems Mozzy's Thunderbird isn't much better on nntp. I just moved
    from the joys of a 5G/s broadband area (metro CA) to a 2K/s dial-up area
    (remote CO) and am stuck with using a XP box til I get my slack boxes
    up. T-bird asks for username and passwd 3 times and then downloads 4-10
    copies of the same post giving me hundreds of duplicates. Whatta piece
    of crap. Time to point wget at slrn and see if I can't get a copy in 2
    or 3 hours.

    nb

  2. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    notbob wrote:
    > T-bird asks for username and passwd 3 times and then downloads 4-10
    > copies of the same post giving me hundreds of duplicates. Whatta piece
    > of crap.

    mileage does vary eh? I've never _ever_ seen this kind of a problem with Thunderbird

  3. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:00:52 -0400, the_bmac wrote:

    > notbob wrote:
    >> T-bird asks for username and passwd 3 times and then downloads 4-10
    >> copies of the same post giving me hundreds of duplicates. Whatta piece
    >> of crap.

    > mileage does vary eh? I've never _ever_ seen this kind of a problem
    > with Thunderbird

    I prefer the 'nix way of using small focused programs to do a single task.
    I have not been pleased with any combination mail and news reader. I stick
    with pan.

    OTOH, the advantage of using a product like Thunderbird is lack of a
    Window manager dependency. For example, Evolution requires Gnome, KMail,
    et al, KDE. Pan, while officially a gnome product, does not depend on it.

    JM2C

    --
    Peter

  4. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    On Oct 4, 12:39 pm, notbob wrote:

    > from the joys of a 5G/s broadband area (metro CA) to a 2K/s dial-up area
    > (remote CO) and am stuck with using a XP box til I get my slack boxes
    > up.

    > nb

    Oh no, can't even imagine the pain. Is it worth it?

    B.Hoffmann

  5. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    notbob wrote:

    > dark.project@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >
    >> Using google groups while getting slrn configured. GUI newsreaders
    >> suck. It's a pity that Opera can only fetch 250 messages when first
    >> subscribing. Apparently that can't be changed according to their
    >> website, it's a huge drawback. Well, Opera wasn't designed for
    >> newsgroups, it's just an add-on.

    > It seems Mozzy's Thunderbird isn't much better on nntp. I just moved
    > from the joys of a 5G/s broadband area (metro CA) to a 2K/s dial-up area
    > (remote CO) and am stuck with using a XP box til I get my slack boxes
    > up. T-bird asks for username and passwd 3 times and then downloads 4-10
    > copies of the same post giving me hundreds of duplicates. Whatta piece
    > of crap. Time to point wget at slrn and see if I can't get a copy in 2
    > or 3 hours.
    >
    > nb

    Then you haven't configured TB correctly.
    BTW, I like KNode too.

    Pan sucks.
    Deeply (yes, properly configured).

  6. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    notbob says:
    >dark.project@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >> Using google groups while getting slrn configured. GUI newsreaders
    >> suck.

    Don't know what you're doing, eh?

    >> It's a pity that Opera can only fetch 250 messages when first
    >> subscribing. Apparently that can't be changed according to their
    >> website, it's a huge drawback. Well, Opera wasn't designed for
    >> newsgroups, it's just an add-on.

    >It seems Mozzy's Thunderbird isn't much better on nntp. I just
    >moved from the joys of a 5G/s broadband area (metro CA) to a 2K/s
    >dial-up area (remote CO) and am stuck with using a XP box til I get
    >my slack boxes up. T-bird asks for username and passwd 3 times and
    >then downloads 4-10 copies of the same post giving me hundreds of
    >duplicates. Whatta piece of crap. Time to point wget at slrn and
    >see if I can't get a copy in 2 or 3 hours.

    Don't know what you're doing, eh?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    Peter says:
    >On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:00:52 -0400, the_bmac wrote:
    >> notbob wrote:

    >>> T-bird asks for username and passwd 3 times and then downloads
    >>> 4-10 copies of the same post giving me hundreds of duplicates.
    >>> Whatta piece of crap.

    >> mileage does vary eh? I've never _ever_ seen this kind of a
    >> problem with Thunderbird

    >I prefer the 'nix way of using small focused programs to do a
    >single task.

    Yep. Things were great back in 1976 and why the hell would anyone
    want to change?

    >I have not been pleased with any combination mail and news reader.
    >I stick with pan.

    At least you've been able to get X Window going.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Don't know what you're doing, eh?
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Wow, rm, there's a shocker. Despite all your shilling for windoze, its
    use can't hide the fact you're a complete waste of ether.

    nb

  9. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:25:30 -0600, notbob wrote:

    >Realto Margarino wrote:
    >

    >> Don't know what you're doing, eh?
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm

    modquote
    >Wow, rm, there's a shocker. Despite all your shilling for windoze, its
    > use can't hide the fact you're a complete waste of ether.

    /modquote
    >nb

  10. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    notbob says:
    >Realto Margarino wrote:

    >> Don't know what you're doing, eh?

    >Wow, rm, there's a shocker. Despite all your shilling for windoze,
    >its use can't hide the fact you're a complete waste of ether.

    We don't "shill" for windoze, or linux, either, for that matter. We
    simply use the best tool for the job.

    We hear there's a new gay bar in your neighbourhood. Try to keep
    things tight back there.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: XP running ATMs? or Today in the queue at the cash machine

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 05:58:43 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    snip...
    >>I prefer the 'nix way of using small focused programs to do a single
    >>task.

    > Yep. Things were great back in 1976 and why the hell would anyone want
    > to change?

    No, the purpose is not lessen the dependence on any one program. It's
    easier to write, maintain, bug fix a focused program than a bloated one. I
    prefer a news reader which is just that -- a news reader.

    >>I have not been pleased with any combination mail and news reader. I
    >>stick with pan.

    > At least you've been able to get X Window going.

    X isn't the problem. Now, GTK2? That's another issue.
    --
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread