[OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s! - Slackware

This is a discussion on [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s! - Slackware ; Hi readers! For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!) and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble. So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 ...

  1. [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Hi readers!
    For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble.
    So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    in my garage decided to do something about it.
    So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    start serving.

    Now WHAT?!!!

    Stanislaw.
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  2. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    "Stanislaw Flatto" escreveu na mensagem
    news:c3b54$47040978$4aded8bf$17595@EVERESTKC.NET.. .
    > But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    > start serving.
    >
    > Now WHAT?!!!
    >
    > Stanislaw.
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Hello Stanislaw...

    Well, you can start out by deciding what you are going to serve.
    You may serve web pages through Apache, files via FTP through ProFTPd, mail
    services via Sendmail (or better yet, install Postfix for that... , files
    to windows clients through Samba, or SQL database queries through MySQL...
    All these from the comfort of your Slack CD set. You decide, after deciding
    come back here and tell us what you did...

    Best regards

    Paulo

    --
    I don't have a sig...

  3. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Paulo Costa wrote:
    > "Stanislaw Flatto" escreveu na mensagem
    > news:c3b54$47040978$4aded8bf$17595@EVERESTKC.NET.. .
    >> But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    >> start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!
    >>
    >> Stanislaw.
    >> Slack user from Ulladulla.

    > Hello Stanislaw...
    >
    > Well, you can start out by deciding what you are going to serve.
    > You may serve web pages through Apache, files via FTP through ProFTPd, mail
    > services via Sendmail (or better yet, install Postfix for that... , files
    > to windows clients through Samba, or SQL database queries through MySQL...
    > All these from the comfort of your Slack CD set. You decide, after deciding
    > come back here and tell us what you did...

    Oh, decisions, decisions.

    > Best regards
    >
    > Paulo
    >
    > --
    > I don't have a sig...

    Neither do I.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  4. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Paulo Costa wrote:
    > "Stanislaw Flatto" escreveu na mensagem
    > news:c3b54$47040978$4aded8bf$17595@EVERESTKC.NET.. .
    >> But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    >> start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!
    >>
    >> Stanislaw.
    >> Slack user from Ulladulla.

    > Hello Stanislaw...
    >
    > Well, you can start out by deciding what you are going to serve.
    > You may serve web pages through Apache, files via FTP through ProFTPd, mail
    > services via Sendmail (or better yet, install Postfix for that... , files
    > to windows clients through Samba, or SQL database queries through MySQL...
    > All these from the comfort of your Slack CD set. You decide, after deciding
    > come back here and tell us what you did...

    Oh, decisions, decisions.

    > Best regards
    >
    > Paulo
    >
    > --