[OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s! - Slackware

This is a discussion on [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s! - Slackware ; Hi readers! For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!) and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble. So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Hi readers!
    For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble.
    So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    in my garage decided to do something about it.
    So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    start serving.

    Now WHAT?!!!

    Stanislaw.
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  2. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:17:50 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Hi readers!
    > For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    > and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble.
    > So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    > which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    > As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    > distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    > in my garage decided to do something about it.
    > So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    > lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    > But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    > start serving.
    >
    > Now WHAT?!!!

    Almost completely incomprehensible.

    Exactly what kind of drugs do you experiment with, anyway?

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he dusted off his Jimi Hendrix collection.

  3. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Dan C wrote:

    > Almost completely incomprehensible.
    >
    > Exactly what kind of drugs do you experiment with, anyway?

    He's been around for a long time - but I rarely know what the hell
    he is talking about. I hope it is a non-native speaking english thing....

    - Kurt

  4. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:17:50 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >
    >> Hi readers!
    >> For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    >> and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble.
    >> So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    >> which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    >> As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    >> distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    >> in my garage decided to do something about it.
    >> So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    >> lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    >> But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    >> start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!

    > Almost completely incomprehensible.
    >
    > Exactly what kind of drugs do you experiment with, anyway?

    Did my 'experiment' in early '60s on hashish, never touched anything
    else since except 'nicoffeine'. The Virginia+Turkish kind.
    Does it count?

    Stanislaw.

  5. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    ~kurt wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Almost completely incomprehensible.
    >>
    >> Exactly what kind of drugs do you experiment with, anyway?
    >>

    > He's been around for a long time - but I rarely know what the hell
    > he is talking about. I hope it is a non-native speaking english thing....
    >
    > - Kurt

    Who is still speaking 'native' English? Native to where?
    I am now living in Her Majesty Colony and they would not know 'native'
    or any other English if it fell on their head.
    So 'scuse me, my 'other language' was learned not parroted.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw

  6. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:17:50 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >
    >> Hi readers!
    >> For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    >> and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble.
    >> So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    >> which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    >> As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    >> distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    >> in my garage decided to do something about it.
    >> So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    >> lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    >> But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    >> start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!

    > Almost completely incomprehensible.
    >
    > Exactly what kind of drugs do you experiment with, anyway?

    Did my 'experiment' in early '60s on hashish, never touched anything
    else since except 'nicoffeine'. The Virginia+Turkish kind.
    Does it count?

    Stanislaw.

  7. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    ~kurt wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> Almost completely incomprehensible.
    >>
    >> Exactly what kind of drugs do you experiment with, anyway?
    >>

    > He's been around for a long time - but I rarely know what the hell
    > he is talking about. I hope it is a non-native speaking english thing....
    >
    > - Kurt

    Who is still speaking 'native' English? Native to where?
    I am now living in Her Majesty Colony and they would not know 'native'
    or any other English if it fell on their head.
    So 'scuse me, my 'other language' was learned not parroted.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw

  8. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Stanislaw Flatto a écrit :
    > Hi readers!
    > For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    > and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble.
    > So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    > which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    > As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    > distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    > in my garage decided to do something about it.
    > So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    > lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    > But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    > start serving.
    >
    > Now WHAT?!!!

    If I understand you correctly, 1) you are referring to a message I
    posted here, given I am the only poster here initialled N. K. 2) you are
    wondering what a "server" is, 3) you installed a server system like
    Molière's Monsieur Jourdain, talking prose without knowing what prose
    is, and now 4) you try to configure it by waggling your finger at it.

    I don't know where Ulladulla is, but I think I like your country,
    especially the light-hearted sneer at rationalism. )

    cheers,

    Niki

  9. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 03:32:00 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Who is still speaking 'native' English? Native to where?
    > I am now living in Her Majesty Colony and they would not know 'native'
    > or any other English if it fell on their head.
    > So 'scuse me, my 'other language' was learned not parroted.
    >
    > Have fun
    >
    > Stanislaw

    Language is created by the common folk. New words, and forms of speech are
    formed from slang uttered by folks who can't speak properly.

    stonerfish

  10. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Stanislaw Flatto a écrit :
    >> Hi readers!
    >> For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this
    >> publication(?!) and from time to time suggestions surface that put me
    >> in trouble.
    >> So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12
    >> distro which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    >> As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    >> distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    >> in my garage decided to do something about it.
    >> So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    >> lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    >> But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    >> start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!

    > If I understand you correctly, 1) you are referring to a message I
    > posted here, given I am the only poster here initialled N. K. 2) you are
    > wondering what a "server" is, 3) you installed a server system like
    > Molière's Monsieur Jourdain, talking prose without knowing what prose
    > is, and now 4) you try to configure it by waggling your finger at it.
    >
    > I don't know where Ulladulla is, but I think I like your country,
    > especially the light-hearted sneer at rationalism. )
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Niki

    Not being a 'native' English speaker - you got it right!

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Still with Slack.

  11. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Stanislaw Flatto a écrit :
    >> Hi readers!
    >> For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this
    >> publication(?!) and from time to time suggestions surface that put me
    >> in trouble.
    >> So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12
    >> distro which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    >> As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    >> distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    >> in my garage decided to do something about it.
    >> So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    >> lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    >> But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    >> start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!

    > If I understand you correctly, 1) you are referring to a message I
    > posted here, given I am the only poster here initialled N. K. 2) you are
    > wondering what a "server" is, 3) you installed a server system like
    > Molière's Monsieur Jourdain, talking prose without knowing what prose
    > is, and now 4) you try to configure it by waggling your finger at it.
    >
    > I don't know where Ulladulla is, but I think I like your country,
    > especially the light-hearted sneer at rationalism. )
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Niki

    Not being a 'native' English speaker - you got it right!

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Still with Slack.

  12. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Niki Kovacs says:
    >Stanislaw Flatto a écrit :
    >> Hi readers!
    >> For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    >> and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble.
    >> So recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    >> which should do the slave work of a _server_.
    >> As those notions are not strange to me (I did 'expert' install few
    >> distros back, on 512M HD, just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk
    >> in my garage decided to do something about it.
    >> So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed the <100 packages +
    >> lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and everybody happy.
    >> But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    >> start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!

    >If I understand you correctly, 1) you are referring to a message I
    >posted here, given I am the only poster here initialled N. K. 2) you are

    Actually, your initials are K. N., because your real name is Kiki
    Novaks.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  13. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Realto Margarino a écrit :

    > Actually, your initials are K. N., because your real name is Kiki
    > Novaks.

    Well, almost. My pen name (e. g. the one I'm signing my books and
    articles with) is Kiki Novak. A girlfriend in school used to call me
    like that for fun, and when time came to choose a pen name, I just kept
    that.

    cheers,

    Niki (Kiki)

  14. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:37:26 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:17:50 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >
    >> Hi readers!
    >> For longer than I care to mention I am a reader of this publication(?!)
    >> and from time to time suggestions surface that put me in trouble. So
    >> recently a notice was published by one N.K. on starved Slack12 distro
    >> which should do the slave work of a _server_. As those notions are not
    >> strange to me (I did 'expert' install few distros back, on 512M HD,
    >> just for fun) and stumbling on computer junk in my garage decided to do
    >> something about it. So a computer materialised, Slack12 CD contributed
    >> the <100 packages + lilo, connected to local LAN, lynx went on web and
    >> everybody happy. But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could
    >> NOT convince it to start serving.
    >>
    >> Now WHAT?!!!

    > Almost completely incomprehensible.

    That's right, it's even that utterly incomprehensible that I
    even could find some meaning in it!
    What these meanings would mean is far beyond reality and that's a
    good piece of achance that reality doesn't exists, well not yet,
    or was it not anymore? I've always mixed up these stuff I created in
    the future, anyway that's not my problem, after all this is your reality
    not mine, I'm only the representative for 3d pebble after Dragon-G.

    Oh, the heaven with it, this contest's closed, Stanislaw has won, by far.

    > Exactly what kind of drugs do you experiment with, anyway?

    At this time I was only looking at the next logo for Windows that
    Richie just sent to me for final approbation, it was so dll and blueish
    that I had to come back in the past and post you back.

  15. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

  16. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > On 2007-10-04, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >>> He's been around for a long time - but I rarely know what the hell
    >>> he is talking about. I hope it is a non-native speaking english thing....

    > That makes two of us.
    >
    >> Who is still speaking 'native' English? Native to where?

    > Native might not be the correct term, but your English is almost always
    > incomprehensible. I don't know what your problem is, but you rarely
    > convey a coherent thought.
    >
    > I don't think many people would say that I speak "proper" English, but
    > at least people can understand what I mean when I speak (or in this
    > case, type). You on the other hand are in great need of an education
    > in English. There are many Slacers who do not have English as a
    > "native" language, yet are able to convey their thoughts well enough
    > for others to understand. Take for example, Piter Punk. He is from
    > Brazil and speaks Portugese natively. His ability to speak (or rather
    > write) English is far from perfect, but when he speaks others are able
    > to understand, and if not, he doesn't get all pissy when some one asks
    > him to rephrase or clarify his words.

    > - --
    > It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    > Than for a man to hear the song of fools.

    This saying I know in 'native'!(learned).
    > Ecclesiastes 7:5

    Stanislaw.

  17. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > On 2007-10-04, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    >>> He's been around for a long time - but I rarely know what the hell
    >>> he is talking about. I hope it is a non-native speaking english thing....

    > That makes two of us.
    >
    >> Who is still speaking 'native' English? Native to where?

    > Native might not be the correct term, but your English is almost always
    > incomprehensible. I don't know what your problem is, but you rarely
    > convey a coherent thought.
    >
    > I don't think many people would say that I speak "proper" English, but
    > at least people can understand what I mean when I speak (or in this
    > case, type). You on the other hand are in great need of an education
    > in English. There are many Slacers who do not have English as a
    > "native" language, yet are able to convey their thoughts well enough
    > for others to understand. Take for example, Piter Punk. He is from
    > Brazil and speaks Portugese natively. His ability to speak (or rather
    > write) English is far from perfect, but when he speaks others are able
    > to understand, and if not, he doesn't get all pissy when some one asks
    > him to rephrase or clarify his words.

    > - --
    > It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    > Than for a man to hear the song of fools.

    This saying I know in 'native'!(learned).
    > Ecclesiastes 7:5

    Stanislaw.

  18. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:01:41 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    >> Almost completely incomprehensible.

    > That's right, it's even that utterly incomprehensible that I
    > even could find some meaning in it!
    > What these meanings would mean is far beyond reality and that's a
    > good piece of achance that reality doesn't exists, well not yet,
    > or was it not anymore? I've always mixed up these stuff I created in
    > the future, anyway that's not my problem, after all this is your reality
    > not mine, I'm only the representative for 3d pebble after Dragon-G.
    >
    > Oh, the heaven with it, this contest's closed, Stanislaw has won, by far.

    Actually, you come in a very close second. Very close indeed.

  19. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Who is still speaking 'native' English? Native to where?
    > I am now living in Her Majesty Colony and they would not know 'native'
    > or any other English if it fell on their head.
    > So 'scuse me, my 'other language' was learned not parroted.

    Sorry, but, I'm just saying I generally have no clue as to what the hell
    you are saying. My guess is English was a second language for you, but,
    well, I can't tell what the hell you are saying in this post... - so I still
    don't know.

    - Kurt

  20. Re: [OT] 'Scuse me, damn a.o.l.s!

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > Hi readers!

    on. It runs and can browse the WWW. However, it is not yet a server>

    > But talking to and shaking finger on the junk could NOT convince it to
    > start serving.
    >
    > Now WHAT?!!!

    Oh my! Did you try polishing it with shoe/boot polish on it? (might help
    it *boot*?). Don't the needed services need to be *kick* started? (did U
    try kick them, see if they start?)

    Restaraunt training? Learn it to serve food and drink.
    --

    In the past, on Slack, I found http serve (web serve to localhost and to my
    LAN) very easy to do. Samba too. I do/serve both (but only to my LAN

    Be forewarned the enclosed samba.conf I only use it on a secure and trusted
    network (my LAN). I got it from some Linux magazine somewhere where also
    issued the same warning. It does make Samba very easy to use but it's only
    for use on a secure and trusted network.

    Next works fine for me on Slack 11. Not yet but I'm soon to try them on
    Slack 12.

    (And of course these can autostart from /etc/rc.d -- but I wanted to
    control them manually since I don't always run them). My aliases and
    commands are how I manually start and stop these.

    al@AB60R:~$ httpd start

    al@AB60R:~$ httpd stop

    al@AB60R:~$ smb start

    al@AB60R:~$ smb stop

    al@AB60R:~$ alias
    alias httpd='sudo /usr/sbin/apachectl'
    alias smb='sudo /usr/local/bin/samba_do'

    # end
    -------------------------

    @ next, (a copy of rc.samba renamed as samba_do and it's chmod +x)

    al@AB60R:~$ cat /usr/local/bin/samba_do
    samba_start() {
    if [ -x /usr/sbin/smbd -a -x /usr/sbin/nmbd -a -r /etc/samba/smb.conf ];
    then
    echo "Starting Samba: /usr/sbin/smbd -D"
    /usr/sbin/smbd -D
    echo " /usr/sbin/nmbd -D"
    /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
    fi
    }

    samba_stop() {
    killall smbd nmbd
    }

    samba_restart() {
    samba_stop
    sleep 2
    samba_start
    }

    case "$1" in
    'start')
    samba_start
    ;;
    'stop')
    samba_stop
    ;;
    'restart')
    samba_restart
    ;;
    *)
    # Default is "start", for backwards compatibility with previous
    # Slackware versions. This may change to a 'usage' error someday.
    samba_start
    esac
    # end
    -----------------

    (@ next, if your Samba server is not called "P3SRV_sl11_smb" then change
    that to suit. myshare is name of the share in this case, change to
    suit. /home/al is on my box, change to suit. WORKGROUP is name of my Win
    workgroup, change to match your workgroup name)

    al@AB60R:~$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
    [global]

    # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: LINUX2
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    cups options = raw
    map to guest = Bad User
    domain master = no