What if I didn't have windows? - Slackware

This is a discussion on What if I didn't have windows? - Slackware ; Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus more ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. What if I didn't have windows?

    Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    issue for now.

  2. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz wrote:
    > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    > the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    > issue for now.

    Be happy that you have this 'door'.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw.

  3. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz wrote:
    > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    > the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    > issue for now.

    Be happy that you have this 'door'.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw.

  4. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz a écrit :
    > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    > the only linux os instead of duel booting.

    duel booting = Norton Antivirus mistaking LILO in the MBR for a virus )

    I'd say Linux makes me lazy. Things don't just stop to work out of the
    blue for some mysterious reasons. Whereas the average Windows install
    sooner or later turns into a whining Tamagotchi.

    Niki

  5. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On 2007-10-03, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > I'd say Linux makes me lazy. Things don't just stop to work out of the
    > blue for some mysterious reasons. Whereas the average Windows install
    > sooner or later turns into a whining Tamagotchi.

    I thought Tamagotchi mode was on by default in Windows.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  6. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz (frzd@hotmail.com) writes:
    > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    > the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    > issue for now.

    What's this Windows stuff you are talking about?

    Some of us have never run Windows.

    Michael

  7. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Oct 3, 8:56 pm, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
    > frz (f...@hotmail.com) writes:
    > > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    > > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    > > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    > > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    > > the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    > > issue for now.

    > What's this Windows stuff you are talking about?
    >
    > Some of us have never run Windows.
    >
    > Michael

    Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

  8. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:45:06 +0000, frz wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 8:56 pm, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:

    >> Some of us have never run Windows.

    > Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    Some of us have been using and programming computers since B. Gates was
    still wetting his bed. His "Windows" is merely an aberation.

  9. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:45:06 +0000, frz wrote:

    >> What's this Windows stuff you are talking about?
    >> Some of us have never run Windows.

    > Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    Bugger off and leave, dimwit.

    The win-droid groups are over there ----------------->

  10. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz (frzd@hotmail.com) writes:
    > On Oct 3, 8:56 pm, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
    >> frz (f...@hotmail.com) writes:
    >> > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    >> > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    >> > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    >> > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    >> > the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    >> > issue for now.

    >> What's this Windows stuff you are talking about?
    >>
    >> Some of us have never run Windows.
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    It's really hard to tell what the point of your post was.

    And the reality is that some of us have lived without Windows, which
    seems to be what your subject header was about.

    Michael

  11. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    "Dave Uhring" escreveu na mensagem
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:45:06 +0000, frz wrote:
    >> On Oct 3, 8:56 pm, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:

    >>> Some of us have never run Windows.

    >> Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    > Some of us have been using and programming computers since B. Gates was
    > still wetting his bed. His "Windows" is merely an aberation.

    I once wrote an assembley routine that loaded a screen, from program memory
    to video memory in my 48K Spectrum, just to see how fast it was against the
    same routine in BASIC using 'PEEK' and 'POKE'... But surely Bill Gates was
    not wetting his bed by then...

    Best regards

    Paulo

    --
    I don't have a sig...

  12. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz a écrit :

    > Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    I'll let you be the judge of that.

    My first computer - if you can call it this - was an 8080 processor on a
    single board, with a hex keyboard and a six digit LED display: four
    digits for address, two for content. 512 byte (!) of RAM, and the thing
    was programmed in Assembler via Hexcode. Back in 1978, my dad worked at
    a development lab at Siemens in Vienna, and he brought the thing home,
    along with books about binary and hexadecimal algebra, Assembler
    programming and logical circuitry. Later, in 1983 IIRC, I bought a
    Commodore VC-20, which I programmed in BASIC - and also a bit in Assembler.

    When I went to the university back in 1986 to study Computer Science - I
    broke off after about a year and a half, there was still no Windows to
    be seen.

    Then, for some reason, I didn't touch a computer for about a decade and
    got myself a degree in French and comparative literature. When I got
    back to computers, I used Windows for a while, but eventually got fed up
    with it. One thing led to the other, and since 2001, I'm 100% GNU/Linux
    - with a short stint on OS X.

    There are other things one can *not* have. I don't have a TV at home. I
    don't own a single Céline Dion record. And there's no Windows around, so
    even my USB keys are formatted in ext2 )

    cheers,

    Niki

  13. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:24:57 +0100, Paulo Costa wrote:
    > "Dave Uhring" escreveu na mensagem

    >> Some of us have been using and programming computers since B. Gates was
    >> still wetting his bed. His "Windows" is merely an aberation.

    > I once wrote an assembley routine that loaded a screen, from program
    > memory to video memory in my 48K Spectrum, just to see how fast it was
    > against the same routine in BASIC using 'PEEK' and 'POKE'... But surely
    > Bill Gates was not wetting his bed by then...

    The BASIC I learned in 1966 did not have PEEK or POKE :-)

    Neither did FORTRAN-II, for that matter.

  14. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > The BASIC I learned in 1966 did not have PEEK or POKE :-)
    >
    > Neither did FORTRAN-II, for that matter.

    In 1966 it should have been Fortran-IV already, the Fortran-II
    standard is all the way back from 1958 (and I never worked in that).
    I started with a Basic without PEEK and POKE too (DEC's Basic/PTS,
    for the PDP-11 mini-computer). Later I switched to their (DEC)
    Fortran-IV product (Fortran/RT11).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  15. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    "Paulo Costa" (paulocosta[at]uniarde[dot]pt) writes:
    > "Dave Uhring" escreveu na mensagem

    >>> Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    >> Some of us have been using and programming computers since B. Gates was
    >> still wetting his bed. His "Windows" is merely an aberation.

    > I once wrote an assembley routine that loaded a screen, from program memory
    > to video memory in my 48K Spectrum, just to see how fast it was against the
    > same routine in BASIC using 'PEEK' and 'POKE'... But surely Bill Gates was
    > not wetting his bed by then...

    No.

    But the interesting thing is that we are in a minority. The further
    back in time you go, the fewer the people that had computers, and the
    more the landscape was quite different.

    A lot of people didn't get computers until a lot of iterations were
    gone through, a lot of people with computers now weren't even born
    before GUIs started moving into the small computer world.

    So their viewpoint is of Windows, and they can't really imagine
    a world without it, because they were't part of the world before
    Windows.

    There is a common expectation that people move from Windows to
    Linux, and likely that is what commonly happens (because there
    is a far bigger mass of people who first got computers with Windows
    than who were around in the early days). But there's a big
    leap from assuming someone moved to Linux from Windows to expecting
    everyone to have gone through Windows.

    Michael

  16. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:23:51 +0200, Eef Hartman wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> The BASIC I learned in 1966 did not have PEEK or POKE :-)
    >>
    >> Neither did FORTRAN-II, for that matter.

    > In 1966 it should have been Fortran-IV already, the Fortran-II standard
    > is all the way back from 1958 (and I never worked in that).

    Perhaps IBM was behind the curve. But it most certainly was FORTRAN-II
    on an IBM Model 1620, punched card decks and all.

  17. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > Perhaps IBM was behind the curve. But it most certainly was FORTRAN-II
    > on an IBM Model 1620, punched card decks and all.

    IBM _was_ the developer of Fortran, and they released Fortran-IV
    (later made into the Fortran 66 standard) in 1962:

    FORTRAN IV

    Starting in 1961, as a result of customer demands, IBM began development
    of a 'FORTRAN IV' that removed the machine-dependent features of FORTRAN II
    (such as |READ INPUT TAPE|), while adding new features such as a |LOGICAL|
    data type, logical Boolean expressions and the 'logical IF statement' as
    an alternative to the 'arithmetic IF statement.' FORTRAN IV was eventually
    released in 1962, first for the IBM 7030 ("Stretch") computer, followed
    by versions for the IBM 7090 and IBM 7094.

    FORTRAN 66

    Perhaps the most significant development in the early history of FORTRAN
    was the decision by the 'American Standards Association' (now ANSI) to
    form a committee to develop an "American Standard Fortran."
    The resulting two standards, approved in March 1966, defined two languages,
    'FORTRAN' (based on FORTRAN IV, which had served as a 'de facto' standard),
    and 'Basic FORTRAN' (based on FORTRAN II, but stripped of its
    machine-dependent features). The FORTRAN defined by the first standard
    became known as 'FORTRAN 66' (although many continued to refer to it as
    FORTRAN IV, the language upon which the standard was largely based).
    FORTRAN 66 effectively became the first "industry-standard" version of
    FORTRAN. FORTRAN 66 included:

    * Main program, |SUBROUTINE|, |FUNCTION|, and |BLOCK DATA| program units
    * |INTEGER|, |REAL|, |DOUBLE PRECISION|, |COMPLEX|, and |LOGICAL|
    data types
    * |COMMON|, |DIMENSION|, and |EQUIVALENCE| statements
    * |DATA| statement for specifying initial values
    * Intrinsic and |EXTERNAL| (e.g., library) functions
    * Assignment statement
    * |GOTO|, assigned |GOTO|, and computed |GOTO| statements
    * Logical |IF| and arithmetic (three-way) |IF| statements
    * |DO| loops
    * |READ|, |WRITE|, |BACKSPACE|, |REWIND|, and |ENDFILE| statements
    for sequential I/O
    * |FORMAT| statement
    * |CALL|, |RETURN|, |PAUSE|, and |STOP| statements
    * Hollerith constants in |DATA| and
    |FORMAT| statements, and as actual arguments to procedures
    * Identifiers of up to six characters in length
    * Comment lines

    (cut out of the wipipedia page for "Fortran").

    Ok. your model 1620 isn't mentioned here, but I would expect a big
    firm like IBM to have a Fortran IV compiler available for that platform,
    almost 4 years after the release for the 7030.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  18. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    > frz wrote:
    >> Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    >> me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    >> install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    >> more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    >> the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    >> issue for now.
    >>

    > Be happy that you have this 'door'.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > Stanislaw.

    that reminds me of when i fooled around with bbs's, odd times indeed.

  19. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On 2007-10-04, Paulo Costa wrote:

    > "Dave Uhring" escreveu na mensagem

    >>> Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    >> Some of us have been using and programming computers since B. Gates was
    >> still wetting his bed. His "Windows" is merely an aberation.

    > I once wrote an assembley routine that loaded a screen, from program memory
    > to video memory in my 48K Spectrum, just to see how fast it was against the
    > same routine in BASIC using 'PEEK' and 'POKE'... But surely Bill Gates was
    > not wetting his bed by then...

    so... how did it compare? :P

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    WWW: http://www.sekurity.com

    "This is my Linux box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My Linux box is my best friend. It is my life."

  20. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:58:33 +0000, frz wrote:

    > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    > the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    > issue for now.

    Most modern systems have windows: X windows for Linux/Unix; some sort of
    windows for MAC and MS Windows for MS - so what's your problem??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast