What if I didn't have windows? - Slackware

This is a discussion on What if I didn't have windows? - Slackware ; I thing Dan C works for M$ or he is a window fanboy. Why else would he always be telling people to leave this group to go to a window's one instead....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    I thing Dan C works for M$ or he is a window fanboy. Why else would he
    always be telling people to leave this group to go to a window's one
    instead.

  2. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Oct 4, 11:13 am, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > frz a écrit :
    >

    > > Aren't you all a bunch of show offs?

    > I'll let you be the judge of that.
    >
    > My first computer - if you can call it this - was an 8080 processor on a
    > single board, with a hex keyboard and a six digit LED display: four
    > digits for address, two for content. 512 byte (!) of RAM, and the thing
    > was programmed in Assembler via Hexcode. Back in 1978, my dad worked at
    > a development lab at Siemens in Vienna, and he brought the thing home,
    > along with books about binary and hexadecimal algebra, Assembler
    > programming and logical circuitry. Later, in 1983 IIRC, I bought a
    > Commodore VC-20, which I programmed in BASIC - and also a bit in Assembler.
    >
    > When I went to the university back in 1986 to study Computer Science - I
    > broke off after about a year and a half, there was still no Windows to
    > be seen.
    >
    > Then, for some reason, I didn't touch a computer for about a decade and
    > got myself a degree in French and comparative literature. When I got
    > back to computers, I used Windows for a while, but eventually got fed up
    > with it. One thing led to the other, and since 2001, I'm 100% GNU/Linux
    > - with a short stint on OS X.
    >
    > There are other things one can *not* have. I don't have a TV at home. I
    > don't own a single Céline Dion record. And there's no Windows around, so
    > even my USB keys are formatted in ext2 )
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Niki

    So they say, many computer gurus are more hobbyist then techies and
    most don't care for computer degrees. I guess it is very true. Kudos
    to you guy and I am glad to be getting your expert help on the posts.

  3. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:16:38 +0000, frz wrote:

    > I thing Dan C works for M$ or he is a window fanboy. Why else would he
    > always be telling people to leave this group to go to a window's one
    > instead.

    Har! Hehehehe! LOL! The above is about the best possible proof that you
    are indeed a clueless, ignorant, win-droid.

    See what I mean?

    Bugger off and leave, dimwit.

  4. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Oct 4, 9:04 pm, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:58:33 +0000, frz wrote:
    > > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy but, you don't need
    > > me to tell you that. You guys here already knew. So anywho I have
    > > install Slackware 12 on a separate hard drive, same laptop, to focus
    > > more on it. I had a spare drive laying around and decided use it with
    > > the only linux os instead of duel booting. That also fix my HDD space
    > > issue for now.

    > Most modern systems have windows: X windows for Linux/Unix; some sort of
    > windows for MAC and MS Windows for MS - so what's your problem??

    I was just referring to MS but, thanks for clarifying windows.

  5. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:16:38 +0000, frz wrote:
    > > I thing Dan C works for M$ or he is a window fanboy. Why else would he
    > > always be telling people to leave this group to go to a window's one
    > > instead.

    > Har! Hehehehe! LOL! The above is about the best possible proof that you
    > are indeed a clueless, ignorant, win-droid.

    > See what I mean?
    >
    > Bugger off and leave, dimwit.
    >
    > --
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.

    It's just work Danny the pooh. Nothing personal. I just don't
    understand. If you don't like something, why keep referring people to
    it? I don't like windows for the same reasons you guys don't like but,
    unlike many of the folks in here, I don't know computers that far
    back. When I first started usind computers, it was during the win95
    period and every retail computer company had windows installed. I only
    learned about the linux operating system through these newsgroups.

  6. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz writes:

    > On Oct 3, 8:56 pm, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
    >> frz (f...@hotmail.com) writes:
    >> > Its true, windows does make the average user lazy

    Then I'm not the average user: I put forth a lot more effort on
    getting Windows to do what I want than I do with Linux. Things make
    sense on Linux.

    [...]

    >> What's this Windows stuff you are talking about?
    >>
    >> Some of us have never run Windows.

    I wish I could say that.

    Joel

    --
    Joel J. Adamson
    Biostatistician

  7. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Oct 5, 10:23 am, jadam...@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
    > frz writes:

    > Then I'm not the average user: I put forth a lot more effort on
    > getting Windows to do what I want than I do with Linux. Things make
    > sense on Linux.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > >> What's this Windows stuff you are talking about?

    > >> Some of us have never run Windows.

    > I wish I could say that.
    >
    > Joel
    >
    > --
    > Joel J. Adamson
    > Biostatistician
    > Pediatric Psychopharmacology Research Unit
    > Massachusetts General Hospital
    > Boston, MA 02114
    > (617) 643-1432
    > (303) 880-3109

    The reason I say that was because, since MS windows is mostly all
    point and click, the average user never learn anything behond that.
    Most windows users I know have all their programs as an icon on the
    desktop. The start menu is even a no mans land for them. While on
    Linux, everything will work once its all set up but, you have to learn
    some of the basics first to do that. I am just saying.

  8. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:39:25 +0000, frz wrote:
    > On Oct 5, 10:23 am, jadam...@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
    >> frz writes:

    >> Then I'm not the average user: I put forth a lot more effort on
    >> getting Windows to do what I want than I do with Linux. Things make
    >> sense on Linux.
    >> [...]

    >> I wish I could say that.

    > The reason I say that was because, since MS windows is mostly all
    > point and click, the average user never learn anything behond that.
    > Most windows users I know have all their programs as an icon on the
    > desktop. The start menu is even a no mans land for them. While on
    > Linux, everything will work once its all set up but, you have to learn
    > some of the basics first to do that. I am just saying.

    I came up from a hardware background - my first computer was in high
    school; the Control Data/Bendix G-15:
    http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpag...-G15-1950s.htm

    Then, when I got into industry, it was the Intel MDS running ISIS;
    then DOS; all textual, of course.

    When I first saw W95 in, ironically, 1995, I thought it was the OS
    from Hell. But that was all they had, and I wanted a computer RIGHT
    NOW.

    Then, I learned about Linux - decided on Slackware because I liked
    the name more than the other distros, and when it booted and EVERYTHING
    announced its status - IN TEXT - I almost had a geek-gasm. ;-)

    Now, of course, I run KDE and it looks just like Doze, but smarter. ;-)
    And when a program crashes, it doesn't take down the whole system, which
    I really like a lot.

    Cheers!
    Rich

  9. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz wrote:

    > ...I only learned about the linux operating system through these
    > newsgroups.

    There seems to be no evidence of your using it, (GNU/Linux), however, vide:
    SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727).
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  10. Re: What if I didn't have windows?

    frz says:

    >I thing Dan C works for M$ or he is a window fanboy. Why else would he
    >always be telling people to leave this group to go to a window's one
    >instead.

    We think you'll find that if you don't ignore him altogether the
    more interesting posters in this ng will ignore you.

    Just a friendly warning, is all.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

+ Reply to Thread