gnome libraries - Slackware

This is a discussion on gnome libraries - Slackware ; Hi all, I'm trying to get glabels to work on slackware 12 and I'm getting errors with missing gnome libraries. What I'm trying to remember is, someone here pointed me to a package of gnome libraries which I installed and ...

  1. gnome libraries

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to get glabels to work on slackware 12
    and I'm getting errors with missing gnome libraries.

    What I'm trying to remember is, someone here pointed
    me to a package of gnome libraries which I installed
    and then gnome applications would work. It wasn't
    gware or freerock or something like that, it was just
    a package of, I suppose, a few key libraries which
    made everything better. Now I can't find it. Of was
    it just a dream?

    Anyone know what I'm talking about?

    I'd even install gware or whatever, but I don't think
    any of those alternate gnome folks are ready for 12.0.

    Thanks,

    Julien

  2. Re: gnome libraries

    garnome. http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome

    --
    Peter

  3. Re: gnome libraries

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:58:48 +0000, Peter wrote:

    >> I'd even install gware or whatever, but I don't think any of those
    >> alternate gnome folks are ready for 12.0.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Julien

    > garnome. http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome

    Yeah, but I'm scared. Have you used this on 12.0? And everthing
    worked?

  4. Re: gnome libraries

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:32:26 +0000, Julien Mills wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:58:48 +0000, Peter wrote:
    >

    >>> I'd even install gware or whatever, but I don't think any of those
    >>> alternate gnome folks are ready for 12.0.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Julien

    >> garnome. http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome

    > Yeah, but I'm scared. Have you used this on 12.0? And everthing
    > worked?

    Yes. Garnome is intended to be a user-based installation, not system-wide.
    So if anything is not right, nothing in S12 is replaced or overwritten.
    You can install all or part of gnome and garnome handles necessary
    dependencies. See the gmane newsgroup for garnome for more info. It's very
    helpful.

    However, if all you need are a few gnome libraries, then why not just
    compile and install them in /usr/local which also will keep out of the way
    of S12.

    --
    Peter

  5. Re: gnome libraries

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:05:35 +0000, Julien Mills wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to get glabels to work on slackware 12 and I'm getting errors
    > with missing gnome libraries.
    >
    > What I'm trying to remember is, someone here pointed me to a package of
    > gnome libraries which I installed and then gnome applications would
    > work. It wasn't gware or freerock or something like that, it was just a
    > package of, I suppose, a few key libraries which made everything better.
    > Now I can't find it. Of was it just a dream?
    >
    > Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    >
    > I'd even install gware or whatever, but I don't think any of those
    > alternate gnome folks are ready for 12.0.

    Have you looked into slacky.eu? They have an ISO image to install
    the whole of gnome on Slackware 12; it works perfectly, and has the extra
    advantage of being totally nonintrusive - that is, unlike Dropline, Gware
    and Freerock it does not mess up with Slackware. Plus it is more up to
    date to boot (Gware and Freerock seem to be all but dead anyway.)

    If you just want individual libraries, you can download them
    individually.

  6. Re: gnome libraries

    Julien Mills a écrit :
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to get glabels to work on slackware 12
    > and I'm getting errors with missing gnome libraries.
    >
    > What I'm trying to remember is, someone here pointed
    > me to a package of gnome libraries which I installed
    > and then gnome applications would work. It wasn't
    > gware or freerock or something like that, it was just
    > a package of, I suppose, a few key libraries which
    > made everything better. Now I can't find it. Of was
    > it just a dream?

    Don't install the whole GNOME kitchen sink if you just need a few libs.
    Take a peek at slackbuilds.org, I guess you'll find everything you need
    there, and the scripts are very clean.

    cheers,

    Niki