Pidgin: PV's change of heart? - Slackware

  1. Pidgin: PV's change of heart?

  2. Re: Pidgin: PV's change of heart?

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > PV has put out updates for Pidgin in the xap/ series since the
    > above, so if it isn't supported, why is he putting out updates to it?
    > Did the Pidgin guys see the light, or was PV bluffing?
    >
    > Curious..

    maybe he means he'll only be building security updates, but not making
    sure they'll work.

  3. Re: Pidgin: PV's change of heart?

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, jim dorey wrote:

    > A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
    >
    >> PV has put out updates for Pidgin in the xap/ series since the
    >> above, so if it isn't supported, why is he putting out updates to it?
    >> Did the Pidgin guys see the light, or was PV bluffing?
    >>
    >> Curious..

    > maybe he means he'll only be building security updates, but not making
    > sure they'll work.

    After that mobs comments about Slack, I'm very surprised Pat bothers
    he should treat them with the same contempt they have treated Pat and
    Slackware.

    I recall the days when there was a new gaim almost every week because of
    bad pathetically written code, do they think a name change will make things
    better, I guess they were hoping it would, but some people have excellent
    memories and will never forget.

    --

    Cheers
    Res

  4. Re: Pidgin: PV's change of heart?

    On 2007-10-03, Res wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, jim dorey wrote:
    >

    >> A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
    >>
    >>> PV has put out updates for Pidgin in the xap/ series since the
    >>> above, so if it isn't supported, why is he putting out updates to it?
    >>> Did the Pidgin guys see the light, or was PV bluffing?
    >>>
    >>> Curious..

    >> maybe he means he'll only be building security updates, but not making
    >> sure they'll work.
    >>

    > After that mobs comments about Slack, I'm very surprised Pat bothers
    > he should treat them with the same contempt they have treated Pat and
    > Slackware.
    >
    > I recall the days when there was a new gaim almost every week because of
    > bad pathetically written code, do they think a name change will make things
    > better, I guess they were hoping it would, but some people have excellent
    > memories and will never forget.

    keep reading the history of the whole thing. pidgin was put to unsupported
    following that quote... then discussions with the pidgin developers led a long
    bloody battle of curse words until rworkman told me to shut up, then
    everything went well... after that, that quote on their site was be changed to
    a variant of "we don't know how to help slackware users" or something similar.
    it's not on the new pidgin site now, so it's hard to tell.

    in other words, if I remember correctly, they corrected the quote,
    apologized to the slackware users that were offended, admitted that none of
    the developers used slackware, therefore had information on helping
    slackware users, and everyone was happy again in opensourceland.

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    WWW: http://www.sekurity.com

    "This is my Linux box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My Linux box is my best friend. It is my life."

  5. Re: Pidgin: PV's change of heart?

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > PV has put out updates for Pidgin in the xap/ series since the
    > above, so if it isn't supported, why is he putting out updates to it?
    > Did the Pidgin guys see the light, or was PV bluffing?

    You would have to ask Pat, I guess. Maybe he changed his mind. He does
    that every once in a while. Now days permissions for dsp and mixer are
    opened up....

    - Kurt

  6. Re: Pidgin: PV's change of heart?

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 05:20:27 +0000, A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > PV has put out updates for Pidgin in the xap/ series since the
    > above, so if it isn't supported, why is he putting out updates to it? Did
    > the Pidgin guys see the light, or was PV bluffing?

    If I recall correctly, a little after this outburst the Pidgin developers
    came around or were educated on how to make Slackware work, so I guess
    that's why Pat relented and included Pidgin in 12.0. I never had any
    problems with GAIM, but I'd say nine times out of ten Pidgin wouldn't
    connect to the AIM server, so I got tired of that and switched to Kopete.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

+ Reply to Thread