Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days - Slackware ; I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server. We have other SW11 systems on the same virtual server that work fine. The system functions as a FTP/SSH server with very little load. Everything works well ...

  1. Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.
    We have other SW11 systems on the same virtual server that work fine.
    The system functions as a FTP/SSH server with very little load.
    Everything works well for a while until ftp connection attempts start
    timing out. The virtual server console shows literally zero activity -
    there are usually some small spikes of cpu activity visible. Logging
    onto the system via ssh or main console may still work, but launching
    procinfo or top just hangs.

    The system usually goes into this mode after a couple of days.

    Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

    stm

  2. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    stm wrote:
    > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.
    > We have other SW11 systems on the same virtual server that work fine.
    > The system functions as a FTP/SSH server with very little load.
    > Everything works well for a while until ftp connection attempts start
    > timing out. The virtual server console shows literally zero activity -
    > there are usually some small spikes of cpu activity visible. Logging
    > onto the system via ssh or main console may still work, but launching
    > procinfo or top just hangs.
    >
    > The system usually goes into this mode after a couple of days.
    >
    > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.
    >
    > stm

    Nothing weird in the log files?

    Sounds like bad RAM or something else going out on the motherboard...

  3. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:44:35 -0700, stm wrote:

    > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.

    snip...

    > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.
    >
    > stm

    Maybe a program that slowly bleeds memory until none left and swap fills.
    At intervals, say 6 hours or so, do ps ax and du or df and see if any
    changes in memory are occurring. Then since top crashes, try cat /proc/
    meminfo and see if things are changing.

    --
    Peter

  4. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Oct 2, 1:26 am, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > stm wrote:
    > > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.
    > > We have other SW11 systems on the same virtual server that work fine.
    > > The system functions as a FTP/SSH server with very little load.
    > > Everything works well for a while until ftp connection attempts start
    > > timing out. The virtual server console shows literally zero activity -
    > > there are usually some small spikes of cpu activity visible. Logging
    > > onto the system via ssh or main console may still work, but launching
    > > procinfo or top just hangs.

    > > The system usually goes into this mode after a couple of days.

    > > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

    > > stm

    > Nothing weird in the log files?
    >
    > Sounds like bad RAM or something else going out on the motherboard...

    hmmm - it's a virtual server running a number of other virtual
    machines w/o problems

  5. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Oct 2, 5:42 am, Peter wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:44:35 -0700, stm wrote:
    > > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.

    > snip...
    >
    > > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

    > > stm

    > Maybe a program that slowly bleeds memory until none left and swap fills.
    > At intervals, say 6 hours or so, do ps ax and du or df and see if any
    > changes in memory are occurring. Then since top crashes, try cat /proc/
    > meminfo and see if things are changing.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Thanks - I'll try that. I setup an hourly cron to write the memory
    stats to a log. Will see if that gives me any clues...

  6. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:44:35 -0700, stm wrote:

    > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.
    > We have other SW11 systems on the same virtual server that work fine.
    > The system functions as a FTP/SSH server with very little load.
    > Everything works well for a while until ftp connection attempts start
    > timing out. The virtual server console shows literally zero activity -
    > there are usually some small spikes of cpu activity visible. Logging
    > onto the system via ssh or main console may still work, but launching
    > procinfo or top just hangs.
    >
    > The system usually goes into this mode after a couple of days.
    >
    > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.
    >
    > stm

    Caveat: I have no experience with M$ virtualization.

    WAGS:
    1. Is this same behaviour found with VMWare? AFAIK, M$ doesn't support
    non-M$ OSs.

    2. Is the "virtual hardware" offered by M$ well supported by the
    kernel? I replaced the default kernel with a self-compiled 2.6.21.7. This
    was because a driver glitch in the Marvell network coding was causing the
    device to go non-responsive. The problem was corrected in 2.6.21.7. My
    usage is primarily with Slackware running directly on physical hardware,
    but I have noticed no problems with VMWare's vms.

    3. Have you applied the patches which have been released for Slack 12?
    Firefox consumes a lot of memory, but, as you say, you are not running
    very many services.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  7. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    stm wrote:

    >hmmm - it's a virtual server running a number of other virtual
    >machines w/o problems

    doesn't vmware have a free version that will run ms virtual server vms unmodified?
    if so, you could load it and let it run as an experiment. it might throw an error
    message that points to the problem.

  8. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 06:46:59 -0700, stm wrote:

    >On Oct 2, 5:42 am, Peter wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:44:35 -0700, stm wrote:
    >> > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.

    >> snip...
    >>
    >> > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

    >> > stm

    >> Maybe a program that slowly bleeds memory until none left and swap fills.
    >> At intervals, say 6 hours or so, do ps ax and du or df and see if any
    >> changes in memory are occurring. Then since top crashes, try cat /proc/
    >> meminfo and see if things are changing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >Thanks - I'll try that. I setup an hourly cron to write the memory
    >stats to a log. Will see if that gives me any clues...

    Wild shot in the dark: make sure no power saving is implemented and
    see if that helps. I've sometimes not been able to resurrect (mostly
    laptops) that go to sleep...
    --
    buck

  9. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Oct 2, 9:49 am, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:44:35 -0700, stm wrote:
    > > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.
    > > We have other SW11 systems on the same virtual server that work fine.
    > > The system functions as a FTP/SSH server with very little load.
    > > Everything works well for a while until ftp connection attempts start
    > > timing out. The virtual server console shows literally zero activity -
    > > there are usually some small spikes of cpu activity visible. Logging
    > > onto the system via ssh or main console may still work, but launching
    > > procinfo or top just hangs.

    > > The system usually goes into this mode after a couple of days.

    > > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

    > > stm

    > Caveat: I have no experience with M$ virtualization.
    >
    > WAGS:
    > 1. Is this same behaviour found with VMWare? AFAIK, M$ doesn't support
    > non-M$ OSs.
    >
    > 2. Is the "virtual hardware" offered by M$ well supported by the
    > kernel? I replaced the default kernel with a self-compiled 2.6.21.7. This
    > was because a driver glitch in the Marvell network coding was causing the
    > device to go non-responsive. The problem was corrected in 2.6.21.7. My
    > usage is primarily with Slackware running directly on physical hardware,
    > but I have noticed no problems with VMWare's vms.
    >
    > 3. Have you applied the patches which have been released for Slack 12?
    > Firefox consumes a lot of memory, but, as you say, you are not running
    > very many services.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    on 1.) I'm not sure about VMware. Our company has standardized on M$
    VServer.

    on 2.) We are running a number of Slack 11 systems on the same virtual
    server. The virtual hardware seems to be well supported by the default
    kernel. Slack 12 starts w/o errors and runs fine for a while, before
    falling into this mysterious sleep mode. There is one known problem
    with the virtual machines though. I have to sync the time at least
    once an hour with an external time server, due to constant time creep
    caused by getting only partial cpu priority from the host system.

    on 3.) I have not installed any patches, but I'm running a minimal
    server config (no X) only.

  10. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Oct 2, 11:02 am, nos...@nospam.com wrote:
    > stm wrote:
    > >hmmm - it's a virtual server running a number of other virtual
    > >machines w/o problems

    > doesn't vmware have a free version that will run ms virtual server vms unmodified?
    > if so, you could load it and let it run as an experiment. it might throw an error
    > message that points to the problem.

    I'll try that if everything else fails. What's strange is the fact
    that the other Slack 11 systems keep on humming on the same Virtual
    Server.

  11. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Oct 2, 6:21 pm, buck wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 06:46:59 -0700, stm wrote:

    > >> snip...

    > >> Maybe a program that slowly bleeds memory until none left and swap fills.
    > >> At intervals, say 6 hours or so, do ps ax and du or df and see if any
    > >> changes in memory are occurring. Then since top crashes, try cat /proc/
    > >> meminfo and see if things are changing.

    > >> --
    > >> Peter

    > >Thanks - I'll try that. I setup an hourly cron to write the memory
    > >stats to a log. Will see if that gives me any clues...

    > Wild shot in the dark: make sure no power saving is implemented and
    > see if that helps. I've sometimes not been able to resurrect (mostly
    > laptops) that go to sleep...
    > --
    > buck

    I'll look into that. However, the system is mostly still somewhat
    responsive e.g. I can still ssh into the box, but executing any
    command takes forever or just sits there. At the same time the Virtual
    Server console shows no CPU activity and the whole server is idle.

  12. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:50:26 +0000, stm wrote:

    > I'll try that if everything else fails. What's strange is the fact
    > that the other Slack 11 systems keep on humming on the same Virtual
    > Server.

    Have you ever considered actually installing Slackware the regular way?
    Why **** around with "virtual" bull**** and wonder why things don't work?
    Are you just a win-droid in disguise who's afraid (or too stupid) to
    actually *use* Linux/Slackware?

    Bugger off, virtual-boy.

  13. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:49:25 +0000, stm wrote:

    > On Oct 2, 9:49 am, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:44:35 -0700, stm wrote:
    >> > I am running Slackware 12.0 as a virtual machine on M$ Virtual server.
    >> > We have other SW11 systems on the same virtual server that work fine.
    >> > The system functions as a FTP/SSH server with very little load.
    >> > Everything works well for a while until ftp connection attempts start
    >> > timing out. The virtual server console shows literally zero activity -
    >> > there are usually some small spikes of cpu activity visible. Logging
    >> > onto the system via ssh or main console may still work, but launching
    >> > procinfo or top just hangs.

    >> > The system usually goes into this mode after a couple of days.

    >> > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

    >> > stm

    >> Caveat: I have no experience with M$ virtualization.
    >>
    >> WAGS:
    >> 1. Is this same behaviour found with VMWare? AFAIK, M$ doesn't support
    >> non-M$ OSs.
    >>
    >> 2. Is the "virtual hardware" offered by M$ well supported by the
    >> kernel? I replaced the default kernel with a self-compiled 2.6.21.7. This
    >> was because a driver glitch in the Marvell network coding was causing the
    >> device to go non-responsive. The problem was corrected in 2.6.21.7. My
    >> usage is primarily with Slackware running directly on physical hardware,
    >> but I have noticed no problems with VMWare's vms.
    >>
    >> 3. Have you applied the patches which have been released for Slack 12?
    >> Firefox consumes a lot of memory, but, as you say, you are not running
    >> very many services.
    >>

    > on 1.) I'm not sure about VMware. Our company has standardized on M$
    > VServer.

    Okay, but I feel sorry for you, especially if you can't change "their"
    mind. One doesn't have to subscribe to far out conspiracy theories to
    wonder whether there is an overt agenda at M$ against GNU/Linux. The
    mantra "Windows isn't finished until _x_ is broken." is well known and
    verified*.

    IMO, the best support for virtualization is offered to _Linux_ users via
    VMWare and Xen. Of those two, VMWare is the more mature product. When I
    deploy virtual machines, I like to run on a GNU/Linux host platform
    (Slackware). YMMV.

    Going off-topic...
    BTW, most people with whom I have discussed virtualization products rate
    VMWare's ESX platform as the standard. Interestingly, ESX does not use a
    separate host platform; it includes its own "host" platform for maximum
    stability. If you have deep pockets, then go for that. If that is not a
    budget possibility, then running either VMWare Workstation or WMVware
    Server on GNU/Linux is the next best option. YMMV.

    It is curious that your company selected VServer if they intended to run
    Linux. Linux support appears to be a recent addition to that product. How
    _well_ it works may be another question.

    Back on topic...
    The problems you are describing point to the host platform being part of
    the problem. According to this page, that is not an option with M$ Virtual
    Server.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rtual_machines

    VMWare includes a set of accellerators for the supported platforms- the
    so-called "VMWare tools" package. The accellerators are customized for the
    platform being served. Does M$ VServer offer a similar set of tools?

    > on 2.) We are running a number of Slack 11 systems on the same virtual
    > server. The virtual hardware seems to be well supported by the default
    > kernel.

    Are you running Slack 11 with a 2.4.x kernel, or a 2.6.x kernel?
    IIRC, Slackware 11 was 2.4.33.3 by default. Slack 11 was "2.6.x
    ready", but Slackware 12 is the first slackware to be 2.6.x by default. Do
    you have to tell VServer that a 2.6.x is running? That is part of the
    configuration for VMWare, BTW.

    > Slack 12 starts w/o errors and runs fine for a while, before
    > falling into this mysterious sleep mode. There is one known problem with
    > the virtual machines though. I have to sync the time at least once an
    > hour with an external time server, due to constant time creep caused by
    > getting only partial cpu priority from the host system.
    >
    > on 3.) I have not installed any patches, but I'm running a minimal
    > server config (no X) only.

    Comments inline.

    * Verified.
    *Windows isn't finished until Lotus 1-2-3 is broken.
    *Windows isn't finished until Novell Netware is broken.
    *Windows isn't finished until DR-DOS is broken.
    *Windows isn't finished until Netscape is broken.

    Some of us are looking for our own platform where we can "fix" things
    which are broken. That way we can put an end to these arbitrary
    limitations and suspicious forms of breakage.

    --
    Ripley: And you let him in.
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/quotes

  14. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    Dan C schreef:
    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:50:26 +0000, stm wrote:
    >
    >> I'll try that if everything else fails. What's strange is the fact
    >> that the other Slack 11 systems keep on humming on the same Virtual
    >> Server.

    > Have you ever considered actually installing Slackware the regular way?
    > Why **** around with "virtual" bull**** and wonder why things don't work?
    > Are you just a win-droid in disguise who's afraid (or too stupid) to
    > actually *use* Linux/Slackware?
    >
    > Bugger off, virtual-boy.

    You obviously do not live in the "real" world Dan C. Lighten up, get a
    job. Your general attitude is most unhelpful.

    Note my client which is a Windows version of Thunderbird? That is
    because there are people out there who live by other values than
    dogmas. And/or have family members with valid reasons to need a
    Windows PC in the living room.

    Eric

  15. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:46:38 +0200, Eric Hameleers wrote:

    >> Bugger off, virtual-boy.

    > You obviously do not live in the "real" world Dan C. Lighten up, get a
    > job. Your general attitude is most unhelpful.

    I most certainly do live in the "real" world, and I've got a great job.
    As for my attitude, that is reserved for trolling win-droids (and morons).

    > Note my client which is a Windows version of Thunderbird? That is
    > because there are people out there who live by other values than dogmas.
    > And/or have family members with valid reasons to need a Windows PC in
    > the living room.

    What do the family members do in the living room that *requires* Windows?

  16. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    >> You obviously do not live in the "real" world Dan C. Lighten up, get a
    >> job. Your general attitude is most unhelpful.

    > I most certainly do live in the "real" world, and I've got a great job.
    > As for my attitude, that is reserved for trolling win-droids (and morons).

    I just wanted to clarify that I don't include *you* in those categories.
    I recognize your name and history, and see your name frequently in the
    changelog(s), which I appreciate a great deal.

  17. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    Dan C wrote:

    > I just wanted to clarify that I don't include *you* in those categories.
    > I recognize your name and history, and see your name frequently in the
    > changelog(s), which I appreciate a great deal.

    Crawl back out of his arse; you're embarrassing yourself, again.

    With kind regards

    Chu

  18. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 19:05:08 +0100, ChuMaiFat trolled:

    >> I just wanted to clarify that I don't include *you* in those categories.
    >> I recognize your name and history, and see your name frequently in the
    >> changelog(s), which I appreciate a great deal.

    > Crawl back out of his arse; you're embarrassing yourself, again.

    Only an ignorant win-droid would make such a statement.

    Yup, sure enough.

    Smeg off, troll.

  19. Re: Slackware 12 goes unresponsive after a few days

    Dan C schreef:
    >>> You obviously do not live in the "real" world Dan C. Lighten up, get a
    >>> job. Your general attitude is most unhelpful.

    >> I most certainly do live in the "real" world, and I've got a great job.
    >> As for my attitude, that is reserved for trolling win-droids (and morons).

    Yeah, but even win-droids have a life... and some do post from a
    corporate Windows network and are not restricted by their employer
    (like me).

    > I just wanted to clarify that I don't include *you* in those categories.
    > I recognize your name and history, and see your name frequently in the
    > changelog(s), which I appreciate a great deal.

    Fair enough. Still, while I don't mind the occasional flames and
    killing spree in this news group, it is not nearly as entertaining as
    a real bouncy on-topic discussion where people respect each other's
    opinion.

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread