slack12 & oracle 9 - Slackware

This is a discussion on slack12 & oracle 9 - Slackware ; I am trying to install oracle 9 form source so I unpacked them in a dir and they created 3 directories, Disk1, Disk2, Disk3. I go inside Disk 1 and run runInstaller, but after the message "Initializing Java Virtual Machine ...

  1. slack12 & oracle 9

    I am trying to install oracle 9 form source so I unpacked them in a
    dir and they created 3 directories, Disk1, Disk2, Disk3.
    I go inside Disk 1 and run runInstaller, but after the message
    "Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /tmp/
    OraInstall2007-10-01_12-10-09PM/jre/bin/java. Please wait..." nothing
    happens and the process dies.

    Someone could help me?

    p.s.: anyway, I am installing the entire database because I didn't
    find any working oracle client, my need is only to connect to a remote
    database, if someone knows a client that I could install it would
    avoid me all the problems the beast.

    Many thanks,

    stefano

  2. Re: slack12 & oracle 9

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 03:15:22 -0700, "stefano.troiani@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    >I am trying to install oracle 9 form source so I unpacked them in a
    >dir and they created 3 directories, Disk1, Disk2, Disk3.
    >I go inside Disk 1 and run runInstaller, but after the message
    >"Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /tmp/
    >OraInstall2007-10-01_12-10-09PM/jre/bin/java. Please wait..." nothing
    >happens and the process dies.
    >
    >Someone could help me?
    >
    >p.s.: anyway, I am installing the entire database because I didn't
    >find any working oracle client, my need is only to connect to a remote
    >database, if someone knows a client that I could install it would
    >avoid me all the problems the beast.
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >
    >stefano

    I don't know of any client; sorry.

    Uninstall jre and install jdk (from /extra, I think). Be sure you
    download the correct Oracle. There are a bunch of them and [hardly
    any | none] work. On my system, even after getting the son of a bitch
    installed and running, it would NEVER AGAIN start up after I shut it
    down, so I abandoned Oracle.

    This is what I (un)installed:
    http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux....lnx32.cpio.gz

    Be CERTAIN that your environment variables are set before you try to
    run the installer. From the message above, I infer that java is not
    correctly pathed.

    This is for Oracle 10:
    http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/slacko.html

    Dunno: