Slack ftp sites... - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack ftp sites... - Slackware ; Whiny post here; I need to find a ftp mirror that one of you kind people here got an iso image of slack 12.0. So far, all of my iso's tested okay, but every installation I've done went south. I'm ...

  1. Slack ftp sites...

    Whiny post here;

    I need to find a ftp mirror that one of you kind people
    here got an iso image of slack 12.0.

    So far, all of my iso's tested okay, but every installation
    I've done went south. I'm getting tired of this.

    I've been to ;

    ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/
    ftp://ftp.slackware.no/

    Can someone please recommend a reliable one please?

    thanks muchly...

    [ Reply to newsgroup please ]

  2. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:10:32 +0000, dave wrote:
    > I need to find a ftp mirror that one of you kind people here got an iso
    > image of slack 12.0.
    >
    > So far, all of my iso's tested okay, but every installation I've done
    > went south. I'm getting tired of this.

    I am not sure what the problem is. You say that you successfully
    downloaded the ISOs. You can confirm whether the ISOs are correct, by
    checking them with the md5sums that can be retrieved from:

    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...kware-12.0-iso

    If the md5sums match, then your ISOs are correct. If so, please elaborate
    what exactly is going wrong. If the md5sum does not match, try
    downloading Slackware through bittorrent or buy the CD set or DVD from
    the Slackware Store .

    ~ Zeno

  3. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    dave wrote:
    > Whiny post here;
    >
    > I need to find a ftp mirror that one of you kind people
    > here got an iso image of slack 12.0.
    >
    > So far, all of my iso's tested okay, but every installation
    > I've done went south. I'm getting tired of this.
    >
    > I've been to ;
    >
    > ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.no/
    >
    > Can someone please recommend a reliable one please?
    >
    > thanks muchly...
    >
    > [ Reply to newsgroup please ]

    In addition to what Zeno wrote, if the md5sums are correct, I'd suspect
    crappy media. I usually verify my cds by reading the cd back to a file
    using dd and then compare it to the original. Make sure you set the
    block size and count accordingly otherwise you'll also get the padding
    at the end of the cd and the image will be larger than the original.

    As for mirrors, I use ftp://slackware.cs.utah.edu/ or
    ftp://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/ and never had a problem with them. I
    chose those 2 because of the high capacity listed on slackware's mirror
    list. YMMV

    Steve

  4. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:10:32 +0000, dave wrote:

    > So far, all of my iso's tested okay, but every installation I've done went
    > south. I'm getting tired of this.

    Not knowing specifically what it means for an installation to go south, or
    what hardware you're trying to install it on, and barring any media
    problems outlined in previous replies, perhaps the thread here about block
    sizes on the CD-ROM titled "Slak 12 does not see CD/DVD drives" will
    provide some answers for you. If it doesn't, perhaps you can provide more
    details about what you see as the problem.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  5. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    Steven J Masta wrote:

    > In addition to what Zeno wrote, if the md5sums are correct, I'd suspect
    > crappy media. I usually verify my cds by reading the cd back to a file
    > using dd and then compare it to the original. Make sure you set the
    > block size and count accordingly otherwise you'll also get the padding
    > at the end of the cd and the image will be larger than the original.
    >
    > As for mirrors, I use ftp://slackware.cs.utah.edu/ or
    > ftp://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/ and never had a problem with them. I
    > chose those 2 because of the high capacity listed on slackware's mirror
    > list. YMMV
    >
    > Steve

    or if you use k3b, it'll show the md5, and do a check of the disk as
    part of the burn, that may be enough.

  6. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    Zeno wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:10:32 +0000, dave wrote:
    >
    >>I need to find a ftp mirror that one of you kind people here got an iso
    >>image of slack 12.0.
    >>
    >>So far, all of my iso's tested okay, but every installation I've done
    >>went south. I'm getting tired of this.

    > I am not sure what the problem is. You say that you successfully
    > downloaded the ISOs. You can confirm whether the ISOs are correct, by
    > checking them with the md5sums that can be retrieved from:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...kware-12.0-iso
    >
    > If the md5sums match, then your ISOs are correct.

    Correct;

    > If so, please elaborate what exactly is going wrong.

    I download the iso via ftp, and perform a md5 checksum match
    by

    $> md5sum -b imagefilename.iso

    My md5's match the md5's at ftp.slackware.com.

    Problem is, during lets say a "full" install, I get the
    following fatal error messages with my random iso's
    during the software installation;

    fatal install errors with following programs;

    k3b-1.02.2-i486-1.tgz
    hplip-1.7.4.a-i486-2.tgz
    gzip-1.3.12-i486-1.tgz
    kdevelop-3.4.1-i486-1.tgz
    pine-4.64-i486-2.tgz

    etc...well, you get the idea...

    After install, I attempt to start slack, and it works,
    except for connections to the outside world.

    [ dhcp from behind a firewalled DSL line. Other
    computers work behind it, except the slack 12 install
    which is my test computer, which I am using now
    with slack 9.0 ]

    If I start lynx, and try www.google.com, I can't reach it,
    but if I try www.mozilla.org, I do.

    resolv.conf, host, nsswitch.conf, only inetd.conf is commented
    out, after I went through it.

    > If the md5sum does not match, try
    > downloading Slackware through bittorrent or buy the CD set or DVD from
    > the Slackware Store .

    I think I'm left with only that option now.

    > ~ Zeno

    Thanks muchly

  7. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    dave wrote:

    > k3b-1.02.2-i486-1.tgz
    > hplip-1.7.4.a-i486-2.tgz
    > gzip-1.3.12-i486-1.tgz
    > kdevelop-3.4.1-i486-1.tgz
    > pine-4.64-i486-2.tgz
    >
    > etc...well, you get the idea...
    >
    > After install, I attempt to start slack, and it works,
    > except for connections to the outside world.

    I have experienced similar problems, as long as you know which parts are
    missing you can use pkgtool to install them after the installation process
    has finished.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  8. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    dave wrote:

    > Whiny post here;
    >
    > I need to find a ftp mirror that one of you kind people
    > here got an iso image of slack 12.0.
    >
    > So far, all of my iso's tested okay, but every installation
    > I've done went south. I'm getting tired of this.
    >
    > I've been to ;
    >
    > ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.no/
    >
    > Can someone please recommend a reliable one please?
    >
    > thanks muchly...
    >
    > [ Reply to newsgroup please ]

    ftp.slackware.no/linux/slackware/slackware-12.0-iso
    MikeinAK

  9. Re: Slack ftp sites...

    > My md5's match the md5's at ftp.slackware.com.
    >
    > Problem is, during lets say a "full" install, I get the
    > following fatal error messages with my random iso's
    > during the software installation;
    >
    > fatal install errors with following programs;

    except for the option of crappy CD-R/DVD-R media that was already
    suggested... You can also try to lower the speed of DVD/CD drive before you
    start the install. hdparm and eject and cdspeed should be able to do it.

    ALSO ... at one time I couldn't burn a proper CD.. it turned that I had bad
    memory in my PC (after sending the cd-writer for repairs and getting a new
    one as replacement).

    So I'd also check the memory of the pc you burn on, and the pc you install
    on. htpp://memtest.org (is it already on the slack isos?)

    --
    damjan

+ Reply to Thread