sshd on Slackware 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on sshd on Slackware 12.0 - Slackware ; I am evaluating the Hummingbird Connectivity SSH client and I can't quite get it to work. I'm not sure if I am using the product incorrectly or if there is a problem with my remote host's sshd setup or execution. ...

  1. sshd on Slackware 12.0

    I am evaluating the Hummingbird Connectivity SSH client and I can't quite
    get it to work. I'm not sure if I am using the product incorrectly or if
    there is a problem with my remote host's sshd setup or execution. The remote
    host is running Slackware (linux) 12.0.

    I am able to create an ssh tunnel without any problem. I setup the remote
    host's sshd to allow XForwarding (did that in the client as well,
    obviously). If I leave the default at the remote host's sshd setup (use
    localhost), I see:

    /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
    localhost:10.0

    in the trace output of the client software, but the Xauthority file of the
    user on the remote host gets updated with something like:

    /unix:10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
    ae5cf04c7350d7919ba26f7669eaad68

    If I change the remote host's setup so that X11UseLocalhost is no, I see
    something like

    /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :10.0

    but the Xauthority file gets updated with something more like:

    127.0.0.1:10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 a7a3649b6558d18a0ff61c794bb76e28

    That would be the opposite of what I would expect, though I don't know much
    about this stuff. Is this what is expected to happen in this case? My (weak)
    understanding of how this is supposed to work is that the sshd on the remote
    host sets up a proxy server and directs the X client to be executed to that
    proxy server (which then communicates across the tunnel to a proxy client on
    the other side). Is the behavior I'm seeing expected?

  2. Re: sshd on Slackware 12.0

    "Sister Gerdes" wrote:
    > I am evaluating the Hummingbird Connectivity SSH client and I can't quite
    > get it to work. I'm not sure if I am using the product incorrectly or if
    > there is a problem with my remote host's sshd setup or execution. The remote
    > host is running Slackware (linux) 12.0.

    > /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
    > localhost:10.0

    You seem to be searching for the problem at the remote host, but are you
    sure that you have your local display correctly setup? Do you have the
    Hummingbird X server up and running? Would you be able to start an X
    program on the DISPLAY mylocalmachine:0 ? Once you are able to start X
    programs on your local display you can start trying to get the X programs
    tunneled through ssh.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: sshd on Slackware 12.0

    "Henrik Carlqvist" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.09.30.08.35.45.294226@deadspam.com...
    > You seem to be searching for the problem at the remote host, but are you
    > sure that you have your local display correctly setup? Do you have the
    > Hummingbird X server up and running? Would you be able to start an X
    > program on the DISPLAY mylocalmachine:0 ? Once you are able to start X
    > programs on your local display you can start trying to get the X programs
    > tunneled through ssh.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    Thanks, Henrik. I do have Exceed running on the PC client and I can use the
    display on the PC for X clients running on the remote host when I am on the
    same network as the remote host (simply by pointing the display back to my
    machine).

    My ultimate goal here is to make this work over VPN when I am not in the
    office. I managed to do that by using Cygwin's ssh. If I setup the VPN
    connection, have Exceed running, open a cygwin shell on my PC, set the
    DISPLAY in that shell (even though I don't have any X apps on my PC), and
    then execute cygwin's ssh command:

    ssh -Xf @ xterm

    it just works. I think I'll just ditch the Hummingbird client and stick with
    the free stuff.

  4. Re: sshd on Slackware 12.0

    "Sister Gerdes" wrote:
    > it just works. I think I'll just ditch the Hummingbird client and stick with
    > the free stuff.

    It was a rather long time since I used the eXceed X server. However, I do
    know that Xming and putty works fine together.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread