Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X - Slackware

This is a discussion on Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X - Slackware ; Hi, Recently I successfully setup a printer server on a full Slackware 12.0 install, using CUPS, for 100% Linux clients. Now I'd like to do the same on a "server"-like install, e. g. no X. On a "headless" install, I ...

  1. Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X

    Hi,

    Recently I successfully setup a printer server on a full Slackware 12.0
    install, using CUPS, for 100% Linux clients.

    Now I'd like to do the same on a "server"-like install, e. g. no X. On a
    "headless" install, I usually install package groups A, AP, D, F, K, L,
    and N, and them trim it down progressively. I did this, setup my CUPS
    server, configured it in exactly the same way I did on the full-blown
    install... and it didn't print. My first guess was: missing package(s).
    To confirm this, I mounted the second slackware CD and just did an
    'installpkg /mnt/cdrom/slackware/x/*.tgz'. After everything was
    installed, I tried to print again, and this time it worked.

    Q: which package(s) was/were missing? Any idea?

    Cheers,

    Niki

  2. Re: Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:02:34 +0000, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Recently I successfully setup a printer server on a full Slackware 12.0
    > install, using CUPS, for 100% Linux clients.
    > Now I'd like to do the same on a "server"-like install, e. g. no X. On a
    > "headless" install, I usually install package groups A, AP, D, F, K, L,
    > and N, and them trim it down progressively. I did this, setup my CUPS
    > server, configured it in exactly the same way I did on the full-blown
    > install... and it didn't print. My first guess was: missing package(s).
    > To confirm this, I mounted the second slackware CD and just did an
    > 'installpkg /mnt/cdrom/slackware/x/*.tgz'. After everything was
    > installed, I tried to print again, and this time it worked.
    > Q: which package(s) was/were missing? Any idea?

    i had the same problem. i solved it. i forgot the solution
    seriously, try stuff like fontconfig first.

  3. Re: Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X

    Mad-Eye Moody a écrit :
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:02:34 +0000, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >
    >> Recently I successfully setup a printer server on a full Slackware 12.0
    >> install, using CUPS, for 100% Linux clients.
    >> Now I'd like to do the same on a "server"-like install, e. g. no X. On a
    >> "headless" install, I usually install package groups A, AP, D, F, K, L,
    >> and N, and them trim it down progressively. I did this, setup my CUPS
    >> server, configured it in exactly the same way I did on the full-blown
    >> install... and it didn't print. My first guess was: missing package(s).
    >> To confirm this, I mounted the second slackware CD and just did an
    >> 'installpkg /mnt/cdrom/slackware/x/*.tgz'. After everything was
    >> installed, I tried to print again, and this time it worked.
    >> Q: which package(s) was/were missing? Any idea?

    > i had the same problem. i solved it. i forgot the solution

    ROFLOL!

    > seriously, try stuff like fontconfig first.

    OK, I'll give it a shot.

    Thanks.

    Niki

  4. Re: Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X

    Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Q: which package(s) was/were missing? Any idea?

    I would try to install the lprng package from the pasture directory on the
    Slackware 12 media. I don't know which package would fix your broken cups
    installation, but I have found myself trying to get cups working on a few
    Slackware installation, then, after failure, resorting to the good old
    lprng and everything just works.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X

    Henrik Carlqvist a écrit :
    > Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >
    >> Q: which package(s) was/were missing? Any idea?

    > I would try to install the lprng package from the pasture directory on the
    > Slackware 12 media. I don't know which package would fix your broken cups
    > installation, but I have found myself trying to get cups working on a few
    > Slackware installation, then, after failure, resorting to the good old
    > lprng and everything just works.

    Well, I'd rather use CUPS. But it's OK, I got it working. I just
    installed 'fontconfig' as well as all the lib* packages from X. Since
    PHP's gd module needs a handful of these, I might as well install the
    whole load without looking for details like a medieval theologist.

    Cheers,

    Niki

  6. Re: Headless CUPS server: missing packages from X

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:30:35 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > I would try to install the lprng package from the pasture directory on
    > the Slackware 12 media. I don't know which package would fix your broken
    > cups installation, but I have found myself trying to get cups working on
    > a few Slackware installation, then, after failure, resorting to the good
    > old lprng and everything just works.

    I recommended to Niki to do the same thing. With apsfilter lprng is a
    breeze to set up, and it should support your printer if you have a *real*
    printer.

    ~ Zeno

+ Reply to Thread