vector linux, usb drive not opening - Slackware

This is a discussion on vector linux, usb drive not opening - Slackware ; Hi, I am new to Linux. I am using Vector Linux Soho and it is good.When I use usb flash drive, it works when I mount the pen drive(which I learned and copied from the web after googling).I bought a ...

  1. vector linux, usb drive not opening

    Hi,
    I am new to Linux. I am using Vector Linux Soho and it is
    good.When I use usb flash drive, it works when I mount the pen
    drive(which I learned and copied from the web after googling).I bought
    a new pen drive and it has a password protection( Kingston make, it
    says cruzer usb drive when I open in XP).This pen drive is never
    detected and no password window comes up even after I mount.While
    mounting linux says /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.How mount
    the pen drive.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:11:43 -0700, Wills wrote:

    > I am new to Linux.

    Welcome.

    > I am using Vector Linux Soho and it is
    > good.When I use usb flash drive, it works when I mount the pen
    > drive(which I learned and copied from the web after googling).I bought
    > a new pen drive and it has a password protection( Kingston make, it
    > says cruzer usb drive when I open in XP).This pen drive is never
    > detected and no password window comes up even after I mount.While
    > mounting linux says /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.How mount
    > the pen drive.

    Before plugging in the pen drive, open a terminal and type "dmesg". Plug
    in the pen drive and type dg again. Then show us exactly what new
    messages come up at the end of the dmesg output.

  3. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    Wills schreef:
    > Hi,
    > I am new to Linux. I am using Vector Linux Soho and it is
    > good.When I use usb flash drive, it works when I mount the pen
    > drive(which I learned and copied from the web after googling).I bought
    > a new pen drive and it has a password protection( Kingston make, it
    > says cruzer usb drive when I open in XP).This pen drive is never
    > detected and no password window comes up even after I mount.While
    > mounting linux says /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.How mount
    > the pen drive.
    > Thanks in advance.

    My guess is that the password protection software on that Kingston
    drive is windows-only.
    You will not be able to use this drive in Linux.

    Eric

  4. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    Eric Hameleers (eric1@sox.homeip.net) writes:
    > Wills schreef:
    >> Hi,
    >> I am new to Linux. I am using Vector Linux Soho and it is
    >> good.When I use usb flash drive, it works when I mount the pen
    >> drive(which I learned and copied from the web after googling).I bought
    >> a new pen drive and it has a password protection( Kingston make, it
    >> says cruzer usb drive when I open in XP).This pen drive is never
    >> detected and no password window comes up even after I mount.While
    >> mounting linux says /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.How mount
    >> the pen drive.
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > My guess is that the password protection software on that Kingston
    > drive is windows-only.
    > You will not be able to use this drive in Linux.
    >
    > Eric

    I saw something about talk like that elsewhere, though I don't
    remember a password being mentioned, there was something about "hidden"
    partition that Linux was unable to move. I wasn't paying attention,
    other than to take note there might be some drives that aren't
    suitable.

    It would seem to be very specific, though. I bought some Kingston
    "Data Traveler" 1gig USB flash drives a few weeks ago, and they both
    work fine with Slackware. The card on the package even had a compatibility
    table that included Linux.

    Michael

  5. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    You probably should just re-format the pen drive to remove the password
    thing.

  6. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:31:34 +0200, Eric Hameleers wrote:

    > Wills schreef:
    >> Hi,
    >> I am new to Linux. I am using Vector Linux Soho and it is
    >> good.When I use usb flash drive, it works when I mount the pen
    >> drive(which I learned and copied from the web after googling).I bought
    >> a new pen drive and it has a password protection( Kingston make, it
    >> says cruzer usb drive when I open in XP).This pen drive is never
    >> detected and no password window comes up even after I mount.While
    >> mounting linux says /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.How mount the
    >> pen drive.
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > My guess is that the password protection software on that Kingston drive
    > is windows-only.
    > You will not be able to use this drive in Linux.
    >
    > Eric

    I rather doubt that it isn't compatible with Linux. The password thingy
    is likely for Windows only.

  7. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:31:34 +0200, Eric Hameleers wrote:

    > My guess is that the password protection software on that Kingston
    > drive is windows-only.

    Probably.

    > You will not be able to use this drive in Linux.

    I'd ask Mr. cfdisk what he thinks about that ;-)

  8. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    On 2007-09-29, The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:31:34 +0200, Eric Hameleers wrote:
    >
    >> Wills schreef:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I am new to Linux. I am using Vector Linux Soho and it is
    >>> good.When I use usb flash drive, it works when I mount the pen
    >>> drive(which I learned and copied from the web after googling).I bought
    >>> a new pen drive and it has a password protection( Kingston make, it
    >>> says cruzer usb drive when I open in XP).This pen drive is never
    >>> detected and no password window comes up even after I mount.While
    >>> mounting linux says /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.How mount the
    >>> pen drive.
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> My guess is that the password protection software on that Kingston drive
    >> is windows-only.
    >> You will not be able to use this drive in Linux.
    >>
    >> Eric

    > I rather doubt that it isn't compatible with Linux. The password thingy
    > is likely for Windows only.

    what does dmesg show when you plug it in though? I have seen drives showing
    up only as /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1, and still work fine.

  9. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    > what does dmesg show when you plug it in though? I have seen drives showing
    > up only as /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1, and still work fine.

    The local dealer says that the password thingy will work only in
    Windows.

    Thanks.

  10. Re: vector linux, usb drive not opening

    Wills (wills.kingspanama@gmail.com) writes:
    >> what does dmesg show when you plug it in though? I have seen drives showing
    >> up only as /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1, and still work fine.

    > The local dealer says that the password thingy will work only in
    > Windows.

    They were definitely talking about this sort of thing a couple of
    months ago in comp.sys.mac.hardware. So there is definitely something
    that can be there in some of the drives.

    One poster was worried that the thing, whatever it is (it's not clear
    if it's software or a partition or what), could not be deleted on
    the Macintosh. Of course, it's also not clear whether they had direct
    experience or had heard from some guy who said something.

    There is apparently software to get rid of it, but that was said
    to run only on Windows software.

    It seems to be a security thing, and may only be on specific Sandisk
    drives.

    That thread was the first I'd heard about it, and it's always hard
    to judge whether people are merely listening to what someone else said,
    or have made an attempt to get rid of the thing without success.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread