Virtual hosts with DynDNS? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Virtual hosts with DynDNS? - Slackware ; Hi, The machine I'm working on has a DNS entry at DynDNS.org. The name babasse.mine.nu resolves to the (static) IP 213.41.141.252. If I use Apache in its (almost) default configuration, I can host a website on this machine OK. When ...

  1. Virtual hosts with DynDNS?

    Hi,

    The machine I'm working on has a DNS entry at DynDNS.org. The name
    babasse.mine.nu resolves to the (static) IP 213.41.141.252.

    If I use Apache in its (almost) default configuration, I can host a
    website on this machine OK. When I open http://babasse.mine.nu in a web
    browser, I see the Apache default welcome message: IT WORKS! (Yeah, I
    preferred the old default page too, it was much more colorful...)

    I'd like to know if I can define some sort of virtual hosts on such a
    configuration. Let's say I have two completely different websites, one
    under /var/www/htdocs/site1, the other one under /var/www/htdocs/site2.
    Is there a way to configure Apache so that:

    http://site1.babasse.mine.nu points to /var/www/htdocs/site1

    .... and:

    http://site2.babasse.mine.nu points to /var/www/htdocs/site2 ???

    I've fiddled around quite a bit with httpd-vhosts.conf, read the docs
    (slackbasics.org, Linux Cookbook, ...) but so far, without success.

    Any suggestions?

    Niki

  2. Re: Virtual hosts with DynDNS?

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:11:52 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Is there a way to configure Apache so that:
    >
    > http://site1.babasse.mine.nu points to /var/www/htdocs/site1
    >
    > ... and:

    points to /var/www/htdocs/site2

    Some of the dynamic DNS providers allow you to map the ports on the way
    in, so one way would be to have two servers listening on different ports.

    For example, your dyndns provider could map it so that

    http://site1.babasse.mine.nu

    is passed to your site as

    http://213.41.141.252:8080

    while

    http://site2.babasse.mine.nu

    passes in as

    http://213.41.141.252:8090

    So make the servers listen on different ports and serve different
    pieces of your site. I'm not sure if dyndns.org allows this, but ISTR that
    easydns does.

  3. Re: Virtual hosts with DynDNS?

    Mark South a écrit :
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:11:52 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to configure Apache so that:
    >>
    >> http://site1.babasse.mine.nu points to /var/www/htdocs/site1
    >>
    >> ... and:
    >>

    > points to /var/www/htdocs/site2
    >
    > Some of the dynamic DNS providers allow you to map the ports on the way
    > in, so one way would be to have two servers listening on different ports.

    's OK, I found the answer. In fact, when I create a host on dyndns.org,
    I have to explicitly check "Create wildcard for *.yourhost.yourdomain".
    I hadn't done that. Now I modified my entries accordingly, and now it
    works like a charm! Check the result on
    http://slackware.kikinovak.ath.cx )

    Cheers,

    Niki