    way.
    Any advice on which way to go?

  2. Re: Jmicron problem

    On 2007-09-26, occam@internode.razoron.net wrote:
    > In Slackware 12, the default huge kernel is configures with both
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_JMICRON=y and CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON=m. This leads to
    > large number of errors "hda: cdrom_pc_intr: The device appears
    > confused (ireason=0x01)." and spurious messages eg that a new audio CD
    > has been detected.
    > Googling has told me that this can depend on having two (competing?)
    > handlers for Jmicron, through which the (PATA) drive is connected.
    > Since both are created in the stock Slackware kernel there must be a
    > reason for it, and my obvious solution of compiling a new kernel with
    > one handler (which one?) eliminated may cause other problems.
    > The other solution is to get rid of the pata_jmicron module in some
    > way.
    > Any advice on which way to go?

    echo "blacklist pata_jmicron" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

    RW

  3. Re: Jmicron problem

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:27:54 GMT, Robby Workman
    wrote:

    >On 2007-09-26, occam@internode.razoron.net wrote:
    >> In Slackware 12, the default huge kernel is configures with both
    >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_JMICRON=y and CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON=m. This leads to
    >> large number of errors "hda: cdrom_pc_intr: The device appears
    >> confused (ireason=0x01)." and spurious messages eg that a new audio CD
    >> has been detected.
    >> Googling has told me that this can depend on having two (competing?)
    >> handlers for Jmicron, through which the (PATA) drive is connected.
    >> Since both are created in the stock Slackware kernel there must be a
    >> reason for it, and my obvious solution of compiling a new kernel with
    >> one handler (which one?) eliminated may cause other problems.
    >> The other solution is to get rid of the pata_jmicron module in some
    >> way.
    >> Any advice on which way to go?

    >echo "blacklist pata_jmicron" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >
    >RW

    Done. However, I still get errors now and then:

    Sep 28 11:18:50 Hugin-07 kernel: hda: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
    confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recover by ending request.
    Sep 28 11:29:36 Hugin-07 kernel: cdrom_pc_intr, write: dev hda:
    type=d, flags=1088
    Sep 28 11:29:36 Hugin-07 kernel:
    Sep 28 11:29:36 Hugin-07 kernel: sector 0, nr/cnr 0/0
    Sep 28 11:29:36 Hugin-07 kernel: bio 00000000, biotail 00000000,
    buffer 00000000, data 00000000, len 0
    Sep 28 11:29:36 Hugin-07 kernel: hda: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
    confused (ireason = 0xd0). Trying to recover by ending request.

    Time will tell if I have gotten rid of the spurios messages about
    detected audio CDs.

    Maybe pata_jmicron is a newer/better module (as googling seems to
    indicate), and I should put CONFIG_BLK_DEV_JMICRON=n instead?

+ Reply to Thread