Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"? - Slackware ; Hi! I'm trying to use this slackbuild for slackware 12 http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...tor.SlackBuild on a slackware 11 (is it ok?). During the script execution this messages come up: > > checking host system type... i486-slackware-linux-gnu > checking for gcc... gcc > checking ...

  1. Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    Hi!
    I'm trying to use this slackbuild for slackware 12
    http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...tor.SlackBuild
    on a slackware 11 (is it ok?).
    During the script execution this messages come up:

    > checking host system type... i486-slackware-linux-gnu
    > checking for gcc... gcc
    > checking for C compiler default output file name...
    >
    > ************************************************** ****
    > ************************************************** ****
    >
    > See `config.log' for more details.
    > make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    > make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    > find: /tmp/tgz/package/usr/man: No such file or directory
    > mv: cannot stat `/tmp/tgz/package/etc/tor/tor-tsocks.conf': No

    such file or directory
    > cp: cannot stat `/tmp/tgz/package/etc/tor/torrc.sample': No such

    file or directory
    > ./tor.SlackBuild: line 70: requiredbuilder: command not found
    >
    > Slackware package maker, version 2.1.

    What's the problem?
    You can see the whole "config.log" here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2p492k

    THX!

  2. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On 2007-09-25, nbukf wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm trying to use this slackbuild for slackware 12
    > http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...tor.SlackBuild
    > on a slackware 11 (is it ok?).
    > During the script execution this messages come up:
    >

    >> checking host system type... i486-slackware-linux-gnu
    >> checking for gcc... gcc
    >> checking for C compiler default output file name...
    >>
    >> ************************************************** ****
    >> configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    >> ************************************************** ****
    >>
    >> See `config.log' for more details.
    >> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    >> make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    >> find: /tmp/tgz/package/usr/man: No such file or directory
    >> mv: cannot stat `/tmp/tgz/package/etc/tor/tor-tsocks.conf': No

    > such file or directory
    >> cp: cannot stat `/tmp/tgz/package/etc/tor/torrc.sample': No such

    > file or directory
    >> ./tor.SlackBuild: line 70: requiredbuilder: command not found
    >>
    >> Slackware package maker, version 2.1.
    >>

    > What's the problem?
    > You can see the whole "config.log" here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2p492k

    Did you see the line
    gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
    It pretty much says it all. You should have /usr/bin/as installed,
    but it says it can't execute that file (or that file is missing).

    On Slack 12 the required package is binutils-2.17.50.0.17-i486-1, you
    should look for the right package for Slack 11.0 and install it.

    I don't know if the Slack 12.0 slackbuild will work on Slack 11, but
    you will need "as" anyway.

    Jim

  3. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    Jim Diamond wrote:

    > On Slack 12 the required package is binutils-2.17.50.0.17-i486-1, you
    > should look for the right package for Slack 11.0 and install it.

    Thanks Jim!
    I was also missing glibc and gcc... speaking of newbies.
    Now, after a few steps forward, I'm stuck again with a series of

    checking for gettimeofday... no
    checking for ftime... no
    checking for socketpair... no
    checking for uname... no
    checking for inet_aton... no
    checking for strptime... no
    checking for getrlimit... no
    checking for strlcat... no
    checking for strlcpy... no
    checking for strtoull... no
    checking for ftello... no
    checking for getaddrinfo... no
    checking for localtime_r... no
    checking for gmtime_r... no
    checking for memmem... no
    checking for strtok_r... no

    These are functions in some missing package, right?
    I've tried googleing, but I can't figure out what package I'm
    missing. :-(

    I've also updated the config.log:
    http://tinyurl.com/2p492k

    Thanks again.

  4. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    nbukf wrote :

    > These are functions in some missing package, right?

    Packages! Your missing more than just one.

    > I've tried googleing, but I can't figure out what package I'm
    > missing. :-(

    Stop Googeling and search /slackware/MANIFEST.bz2 for the files you are
    missing.
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:30:01 +0200, Thomas Overgaard
    wrote:

    >nbukf wrote :
    >
    >> These are functions in some missing package, right?

    >Packages! Your missing more than just one.
    >
    >> I've tried googleing, but I can't figure out what package I'm
    >> missing. :-(

    >Stop Googeling and search /slackware/MANIFEST.bz2 for the files you are
    >missing.

    Didn't know about slackware/MANIFEST.bz2 (never took the the time to
    look what's inside, I think).

    Very useful!

    Allready had PACKAGES.TXT and FILE_LIST on Desktop, now I'vee added
    MANIFEST too :-)

    Knowing this could could have solved a similair problem I had just
    starting Linux a year ago, trying to compile something.

    = :-))

    Thanks!
    Manuel

  6. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Stop Googeling and search /slackware/MANIFEST.bz2 for the files you are
    > missing.

    I'm having a hard time understanding how to use /slackware/MANIFEST.bz2.

    For example, "gettimeofday" is only in this line:
    -rw... ...usr/man/man2/gettimeofday.2.gz

    >From "man gettimeofday" i know that I should have "sys/time.h".

    I have "/usr/include/sys/time.h" already.

    How do I proceed from here?

    Thanks for your patience!

  7. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:31:03 +0200, nbukf wrote:

    >Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Stop Googeling and search /slackware/MANIFEST.bz2 for the files you are
    >> missing.

    >I'm having a hard time understanding how to use /slackware/MANIFEST.bz2.
    >
    >For example, "gettimeofday" is only in this line:
    >-rw... ...usr/man/man2/gettimeofday.2.gz

    And twice in kernel-source-2.6.21.5_smp-noarch-2.tgz :

    usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/gettimeofday.S
    usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso32/gettimeofday.S

    Open with text editor, search, then search next occurance, untill no
    more is found.

    >>From "man gettimeofday" i know that I should have "sys/time.h".

    >I have "/usr/include/sys/time.h" already.
    >
    >How do I proceed from here?
    >
    >Thanks for your patience!

  8. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    Manuel Otto wrote:

    > And twice in kernel-source-2.6.21.5_smp-noarch-2.tgz :
    >
    > usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/gettimeofday.S
    > usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso32/gettimeofday.S

    Uhmm, I can see that, but I'm running on a slack 11 with a 2.4.33.3
    kernel. Does this mean that I cannot use that slackbuild?

    Thanks

  9. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    nbukf wrote:
    > Manuel Otto wrote:
    >
    >> And twice in kernel-source-2.6.21.5_smp-noarch-2.tgz :
    >>
    >> usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/gettimeofday.S
    >> usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso32/gettimeofday.S

    > Uhmm, I can see that, but I'm running on a slack 11 with a 2.4.33.3
    > kernel. Does this mean that I cannot use that slackbuild?
    >
    > Thanks

    Wait!
    I've tried the slackbuild for slack11
    http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...tor.SlackBuild
    but the errors are the same...
    Now I'm really scratching my head!

  10. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On Sep 25, 10:48 pm, nbukf wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm trying to use this slackbuild for slackware 12http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slackware-12.0/network/tor/0.1.2.17/s...
    > on a slackware 11 (is it ok?).
    > During the script execution this messages come up:
    >

    > > checking host system type... i486-slackware-linux-gnu
    > > checking for gcc... gcc
    > > checking for C compiler default output file name...

    > > ************************************************** ****
    > > configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    > > ************************************************** ****

    You might try to take another way. Download libevent library for
    Slackware 11 from linuxpackages.net, install it, and compile the
    latest tor-0.1.2.17 from sources through
    ../configure; make; make install. That's what I was able to do for
    Slackware 10.2, at least compilation had gone clearly. Slackbuilds
    scripts for Slackware 12.0 running under Slackware 10.2 produce only
    portion of hell. That error, compiler can't produce executable
    comes from mtune=i686 flag, generated in some way by slackbuild
    script.
    Don't touch these glibc, assembler and other similar deals, this is
    direct road into hell

    --
    Bogdan

  11. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    B.Yanchitsky@gmail.com wrote:

    > You might try to take another way. Download libevent library for
    > Slackware 11 from linuxpackages.net, install it, and compile the
    > latest tor-0.1.2.17 from sources through ../configure; make; make
    > install. That's what I was able to do for Slackware 10.2, at
    > least compilation had gone clearly.

    I was considering the slackbuild way because I prefer to have a
    "packaged" system, where I can easily add/remove packages. As far as
    my (poor) understanding of slackware goes, if I follow the manual
    procedure, pkgtool will lose track of things, right?

    Thanks!

  12. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:54:00 +0200, nbukf wrote:

    >nbukf wrote:
    >> Manuel Otto wrote:
    >>
    >>> And twice in kernel-source-2.6.21.5_smp-noarch-2.tgz :
    >>>
    >>> usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso64/gettimeofday.S
    >>> usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso32/gettimeofday.S

    >> Uhmm, I can see that, but I'm running on a slack 11 with a 2.4.33.3
    >> kernel. Does this mean that I cannot use that slackbuild?

    I really don't know that (not an expert), but is there a good reason
    that you don't use the tor slackbuild for Slack 11?

    >> Thanks

    >Wait!
    >I've tried the slackbuild for slack11
    >http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...tor.SlackBuild
    >but the errors are the same...
    >Now I'm really scratching my head!

    But have you finished installing the packages it needs?

    I have no other ideas, a beginner myself.

    A little patience will give you anwsers from people much more expert.

    Good luck!

  13. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On 2007-09-26, nbukf wrote:
    > Jim Diamond wrote:
    >
    >> On Slack 12 the required package is binutils-2.17.50.0.17-i486-1, you
    >> should look for the right package for Slack 11.0 and install it.

    > Thanks Jim!
    > I was also missing glibc and gcc... speaking of newbies.
    > Now, after a few steps forward, I'm stuck again with a series of
    >
    > checking for gettimeofday... no
    > checking for ftime... no
    > checking for socketpair... no
    > checking for uname... no
    > checking for inet_aton... no
    > checking for strptime... no
    > checking for getrlimit... no
    > checking for strlcat... no
    > checking for strlcpy... no
    > checking for strtoull... no
    > checking for ftello... no
    > checking for getaddrinfo... no
    > checking for localtime_r... no
    > checking for gmtime_r... no
    > checking for memmem... no
    > checking for strtok_r... no
    >
    > These are functions in some missing package, right?
    > I've tried googleing, but I can't figure out what package I'm
    > missing. :-(
    >
    > I've also updated the config.log:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2p492k
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Well, it says (among other things) you are missing dlopen().

    To cut to the chase, why don't you make sure you installed EVERY
    package in the development ("d") series. Presumably you decided to
    install only some of the packages when you installed Slackware 11, and
    this decision is causing you grief. I can only assume you would do
    that because you are low on disk space. In any case, install all the
    "d" packages, try again, and report back on how things went.

    Jim

  14. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    Jim Diamond wrote:

    > Well, it says (among other things) you are missing dlopen().
    >
    > To cut to the chase, why don't you make sure you installed EVERY
    > package in the development ("d") series. Presumably you decided
    > to install only some of the packages when you installed Slackware
    > 11, and this decision is causing you grief. I can only assume
    > you would do that because you are low on disk space.

    Right, 30MB free left. This machine has a CompactFlash instead of a
    HD: http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm

  15. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On Sep 26, 10:14 pm, nbukf wrote:
    > I was considering the slackbuild way because I prefer to have a
    > "packaged" system, where I can easily add/remove packages. As far as
    > my (poor) understanding of slackware goes, if I follow the manual
    > procedure, pkgtool will lose track of things, right?
    >
    > Thanks!

    yes, you are right. To create package from slackbuild 12.0 script you
    have to remove
    -mcpu=i686 and -mtune=i686 from the lines in script

    SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686"
    SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686"

    at least I have created package under Slackware 10.2. Probably you
    have also to install libevent library. More simple way is download
    the binary package from linuxpackages.net for Slackware 11, but the
    package is build for early version of tor. And of course, if you have
    some packages missed on your box, the only way would be to install
    them.

    ---
    Bogdan

  16. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On 2007-09-27, B.Yanchitsky@gmail.com wrote:

    > yes, you are right. To create package from slackbuild 12.0 script you
    > have to remove
    > -mcpu=i686 and -mtune=i686 from the lines in script
    >
    > SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686"
    > SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686"

    I realize you weren't use scripts from us, but that's addressed
    in our FAQ. http://slackbuilds.org/faq/#older links to
    http://slackbuilds.org/howto/versions/ which explains why you
    had that problem.

    RW

  17. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    BINGO!

    Thanks everybody for your kind patience!
    Finally the slackbuild worked after installing
    slackware/d/kernel-headers-2.4.33.3-i386-1.tgz

    Somebody suggested also to remove
    -mcpu=i686 and -mtune=i686 from the lines in the slackbuild script.
    I didn't remove them, but the package was created and installed, and
    everything seems to be working fine.

    Thanks everybody!

  18. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On 2007-09-27, nbukf wrote:

    > Thanks everybody for your kind patience!
    > Finally the slackbuild worked after installing
    > slackware/d/kernel-headers-2.4.33.3-i386-1.tgz
    >
    > Somebody suggested also to remove
    > -mcpu=i686 and -mtune=i686 from the lines in the slackbuild script.
    > I didn't remove them, but the package was created and installed, and
    > everything seems to be working fine.

    That means you must have been building on at least gcc-3.4.x
    (which might have been the case - I didn't follow the entire
    thread, so my response was based only on the contents of the
    your problem the entire time was the missing kernel headers.
    Hint: read the slack-desc for that package :-)

    RW

  19. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > That means you must have been building on at least gcc-3.4.x

    3.4.6

    > Hint: read the slack-desc for that package :-)

    Awww, it must have been the only thing I haven't read in the last 2
    days!! :-D

  20. Re: Slackbuild: "C compiler cannot create executables"?

    On Sep 27, 6:32 pm, Robby Workman wrote:
    > > yes, you are right. To create package from slackbuild 12.0 script you
    > > have to remove
    > > -mcpu=i686 and -mtune=i686 from the lines in script

    > > SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686"
    > > SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686"

    > I realize you weren't use scripts from us, but that's addressed
    > in our FAQ. http://slackbuilds.org/faq/#olderlinks tohttp://slackbuilds.org/howto/versions/which explains why you
    > had that problem.
    >
    > RW

    The same problem for script from slackbuilds.org, under Slackware
    10.2, shipped with gcc-3.3.6, it does not work. Yes, I can see the
    explanation in FAQ, compiler does not understand what is -mtune, but
    the problem with any FAQ and HOWTO is always the same, you can find
    anything, but not exactly you are looking for ;-). For small programs
    I still prefer old way, sources, configure, make, make install. I'm
    sorry I introduced into thread some problems concerning Slackware
    10.2 .

    Best,
    Bogdan

+ Reply to Thread