getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup - Slackware

This is a discussion on getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup - Slackware ; Hi, I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems. I'm ...

  1. getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    Hi,
    I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems. I'm pretty sure I have done
    this before but it has been awhile. Here is my lilo.conf from slack 11 as
    recently modified (the command lilo on slack 11 runs without error):

    # LILO configuration file
    # generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    boot = /dev/hda
    message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    prompt
    timeout = 1200
    # Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
    change-rules
    reset
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
    vga = 773
    # Normal VGA console
    # vga = normal
    # End LILO global section
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda1
    initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
    label = Slack2.6.18
    read-only

    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda1
    label = Slack_12.0
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

    I can boot slack 12 from a lilo floppy that I made but when I try to
    boot it from the mbr using the above lilo.conf I get a kernel panic. (Right
    now I am just using the slack 12 huge kernel so no initrd is needed. When I
    get this right I will change that.) Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, jwc

    /etc/lilo.conf lines 1-27/46 59%

  2. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:48:03 -0500, john connolly wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    > recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    > lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems.

    > I can boot slack 12 from a lilo floppy that I made but when I try to
    > boot it from the mbr using the above lilo.conf I get a kernel panic. (Right
    > now I am just using the slack 12 huge kernel so no initrd is needed. When I
    > get this right I will change that.) Any help would be appreciated.

    It really sounds as if if might be simpler to put each system's LILO into
    the root of its own partition and place a universal chainloader like SBM or
    GAG in the MBR. (Caveat: I don't know if GAG handles SATA - SBM probably
    doesn't.)

  3. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    john connolly wrote :

    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/sda1
    > label = Slack_12.0

    You'll have to mount your Slackware 12 partition first at /mnt/foobar
    and then use this in your /etc/lilo.conf:
    image = /mnt/foobar/boot/vmlinuz
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    john connolly wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    > recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    > lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems. I'm pretty sure I have done
    > this before but it has been awhile. Here is my lilo.conf from slack 11 as
    > recently modified (the command lilo on slack 11 runs without error):

    Ah ha - ~I have that situation on my XP machine where I added slack on an
    older PATA drive. I think lilo get confused over whether the SATA or PATA
    disk is the first drive, expecially which is C: for windows. I had to
    specify it. I'll have to boot up that machine for the specific details.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  5. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    john connolly (jconnolly@kc.rr.com) writes:
    > Hi,
    > I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    > recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    > lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems. I'm pretty sure I have done
    > this before but it has been awhile. Here is my lilo.conf from slack 11 as
    > recently modified (the command lilo on slack 11 runs without error):

    It pays to read this newsgroup on a regular basis, rather than poking
    in when necessary.

    This was covered within the last few weeks, and indeed the thread was
    still going just last week (though it had drifted).

    Since I took the time to explain it then, I'm not going to bother
    a second time so soon.

    You've made a false assumption, and you have to get around that
    assumption before you can fix the problem.

    Michael

  6. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    Den Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:19:43 +0000, skrev Mark South:

    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:48:03 -0500, john connolly wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    >> recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    >> lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems.

    I solved this problem by installing grub instead. AND i'm happy with it! :-)

  7. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    john connolly wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    > recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    > lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems. I'm pretty sure I have done
    > this before but it has been awhile. Here is my lilo.conf from slack 11 as
    > recently modified (the command lilo on slack 11 runs without error):
    >
    > # LILO configuration file
    > # generated by 'liloconfig'
    > #
    > # Start LILO global section
    > boot = /dev/hda
    > message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    > prompt
    > timeout = 1200
    > # Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
    > change-rules
    > reset
    > # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
    > vga = 773
    > # Normal VGA console
    > # vga = normal
    > # End LILO global section
    > # Linux bootable partition config begins
    > image = /boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/hda1
    > initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
    > label = Slack2.6.18
    > read-only
    >
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/sda1
    > label = Slack_12.0
    > read-only
    > # Linux bootable partition config ends
    >
    > I can boot slack 12 from a lilo floppy that I made but when I try to
    > boot it from the mbr using the above lilo.conf I get a kernel panic. (Right
    > now I am just using the slack 12 huge kernel so no initrd is needed. When I
    > get this right I will change that.) Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks, jwc
    >
    > /etc/lilo.conf lines 1-27/46 59%

    KISS
    For some strange reason your configuration of Lilo in mbr cannot perform
    the desired function.
    So make it easier on Lilo till you two talk the same lingo.
    You _can_ invoke the Slack12 install. Get into it and edit its
    /etc/lilo.conf to point to its kernel and file system. (actually it does
    this as it properly finds everything written on floppy). When you have
    your config in perfect order invoke /sbin/lilo and tell it to install
    itself _on partition_. (forget mbr for now).
    After that boot your Slack11 install and change the stanza calling
    Slack12 to "other = /dev/sdXY" or whatever call is needed. This wonder
    will find on partition a booting manager 'lilo2' and perform its magic.
    Lilo2 can be configured without menu display or delay, but this comes
    later when everything performs.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  8. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    Stanislaw Flatto (compaid@brownbear.com.au) writes:

    > KISS
    > For some strange reason your configuration of Lilo in mbr cannot perform
    > the desired function.

    He's using the same kernel for both boots, since he's not specifying
    distinct kernels. Both stanzas point to image=/boot/vmlinuz

    There's no simplification if the answer is way off in the wrong direction.
    Michael

  9. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    john connolly wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    > recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    > lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems. I'm pretty sure I have done
    > this before but it has been awhile. Here is my lilo.conf from slack 11 as
    > recently modified (the command lilo on slack 11 runs without error):
    >
    > # LILO configuration file
    > # generated by 'liloconfig'
    > #
    > # Start LILO global section
    > boot = /dev/hda
    > message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    > prompt
    > timeout = 1200
    > # Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
    > change-rules
    > reset
    > # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
    > vga = 773
    > # Normal VGA console
    > # vga = normal
    > # End LILO global section
    > # Linux bootable partition config begins
    > image = /boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/hda1
    > initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
    > label = Slack2.6.18
    > read-only
    >
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/sda1
    > label = Slack_12.0
    > read-only
    > # Linux bootable partition config ends
    >
    > I can boot slack 12 from a lilo floppy that I made but when I try
    > boot it from the mbr using the above lilo.conf I get a kernel panic.
    > (Right now I am just using the slack 12 huge kernel so no initrd is
    > needed. When I get this right I will change that.) Any help would be
    > appreciated. Thanks, jwc

    Just to finish this off:
    As kindly suggested by several posters I edited /etc/fstab so that
    /dev/sda1 was mounted under /mnt/tmp during the boot process. Then editing
    /etc/lilo.conf so that /boot/vmlinuz could be found under
    /mnt/tmp/boot/vmlinuz and root under under /mnt/tmp/dev/sda1 and rerunning
    lilo allows dual booting to works ok.
    Thanks again for the help, jwc

  10. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    john connolly (jconnolly@kc.rr.com) writes:

    > As kindly suggested by several posters I edited /etc/fstab so that
    > /dev/sda1 was mounted under /mnt/tmp during the boot process.

    Take note you do not have to have the partition mounted during the boot
    process. And you can mount anything (so long as you have permission)
    just by using "mount" with all the details. fstab just takes care of
    things automatically on booting (if you've set things to be automounted)
    and let's you use "mount" without remembering all the details. But
    you don't need an entry in fstab to mount things.

    You also just need the "other" partition mounted for the time you
    run lilo, so it can see where the kernel (and initrd if one is
    used) is. The rest of the time, it doesn't need it mounted, since
    the whole point is to encode the location of the kernel in the bootloader.

    Micahel

  11. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    On 2007-09-24, john connolly wrote:
    > I have slack 11 installed (and running) on hda1 (pata disk) and I
    > recently installed slack 12.0 on sda1 (sata disk) . I am trying to use the
    > lilo from the mbr on hda to boot both systems. I'm pretty sure I have done
    > this before but it has been awhile. Here is my lilo.conf from slack 11 as
    > recently modified (the command lilo on slack 11 runs without error):

    I've never tried this exact setup, but I don't see why it should pose
    any unusual problems as opposed to say, two IDE drives.

    > # Linux bootable partition config begins
    > image = /boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/hda1
    > initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
    > label = Slack2.6.18
    > read-only
    >
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > root = /dev/sda1
    > label = Slack_12.0
    > read-only
    > # Linux bootable partition config ends

    As others have pointed out, the problem here is that you're using the
    same kernel to boot both Slackware 11.0 and Slackware 12.0. That just
    plain isn't going to work without some hefty tweaking of at least one
    of the operating systems.

    Here's how I handle multiple Linux OSs on the same box.

    In every single OS I have the following (or similar) in /etc/fstab:

    /dev/sda3 /boot reiserfs defaults 0 0

    This means that /boot has the same contents on every OS regardless of
    version or distro. On each machine, I also symlink /etc/lilo.conf to
    /boot/lilo.conf and make all my changes there.

    Every kernel for every OS is installed in /boot with a unique name such
    as "vmlinuz-slack-11" and "vmlinuz-slack-12". My /boot/lilo.conf looks
    like this:

    image = /boot/vmlinuz-slack-11
    root = /dev/sda5
    label = slackware-11
    read-only
    image = /boot/vmlinuz-slack-12
    root=/dev/sda6
    label = slackware-12
    read-only

    This lets me have as many operating systems as I can shove on the
    hardware, all with the same lilo.conf file, all in the same place, and
    keeps the kernels all in one area rather than scattered across multiple
    partitions, resulting in weird stuff like:

    image = /mnt/tmp/boot/vmlinuz
    image = /mnt/tmp2/boot/vmlinuz

  12. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:18:17 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > Here's how I handle multiple Linux OSs on the same box.
    >
    > In every single OS I have the following (or similar) in /etc/fstab:
    >
    > /dev/sda3 /boot reiserfs defaults 0 0
    >
    > This means that /boot has the same contents on every OS regardless of
    > version or distro. On each machine, I also symlink /etc/lilo.conf to
    > /boot/lilo.conf and make all my changes there.
    >
    > Every kernel for every OS is installed in /boot with a unique name such as
    > "vmlinuz-slack-11" and "vmlinuz-slack-12".

    What do you do about the System.map, config, and vmlinuz links for
    different Slackware versions, Alan? They would conflict. Are they
    unimportant, and may be removed without ill effect?

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  13. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    On 09/28/07 15:11, Chick Tower wrote:

    > What do you do about the System.map, config, and vmlinuz links for
    > different Slackware versions, Alan? They would conflict. Are they
    > unimportant, and may be removed without ill effect?

    IIRC System map is only used for debug traces in case of kernel oops.
    config and vmlinuz are the traditional names for the configuration
    file and kernel. They may be removed (or renamed) without any effect
    on the system.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  14. Re: getting lilo.conf right for two disk setup

    Giovanni (lsodgf0@home.net.it) writes:
    > On 09/28/07 15:11, Chick Tower wrote:
    >

    >> What do you do about the System.map, config, and vmlinuz links for
    >> different Slackware versions, Alan? They would conflict. Are they
    >> unimportant, and may be removed without ill effect?
    >>

    > IIRC System map is only used for debug traces in case of kernel oops.
    > config and vmlinuz are the traditional names for the configuration
    > file and kernel. They may be removed (or renamed) without any effect
    > on the system.

    When I set up a boot partition a few months ago, I simply set up a
    separate directory for each variant, and stuffed everything in
    there. So whatever was in /boot for Slack 10 is now in a directory
    named slack-10 in the boot partition, and the same for Slack 11 and
    12.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread