font installation in slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on font installation in slackware 12 - Slackware ; There seems to be a problem in system-wide font installation in Slack 12. In KDE control center (font installer), fonts can be installed locally and work correctly. But when installed in "admin mode", the fonts do not appear nor do ...

  1. font installation in slackware 12

    There seems to be a problem in system-wide font installation in Slack
    12. In KDE control center (font installer), fonts can be installed
    locally and work correctly. But when installed in "admin mode", the
    fonts do not appear nor do they work. Although when you try to
    reinstall, it says that the fonts exist (asks overwite?)

    Also tried installation manually (system-wide) as described here
    http://penguinfonts.com/howto/slackware.php
    but does not work (fonts do not appear in kedit etc).

    The fonts I am trying to install are TeX and Mathematica fonts at
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/

  2. Re: font installation in slackware 12

    jessbody@gmail.com wrote:
    > There seems to be a problem in system-wide font installation in Slack
    > 12. In KDE control center (font installer), fonts can be installed
    > locally and work correctly. But when installed in "admin mode", the
    > fonts do not appear nor do they work. Although when you try to
    > reinstall, it says that the fonts exist (asks overwite?)
    >
    > Also tried installation manually (system-wide) as described here
    > http://penguinfonts.com/howto/slackware.php
    > but does not work (fonts do not appear in kedit etc).
    >
    > The fonts I am trying to install are TeX and Mathematica fonts at
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/

    The simplest way to install fonts system-wide is to simply put them in
    an appropriate directory in /usr/share/fonts (Slackware 12); e.g., TTF
    fonts in /usr/share/fonts/TTF, then run mkfontscale and mkfontdir in
    that directory (cd TTF; mkfontscale; mkfontdir).

    After that's done, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add entries in Section
    "Files" then restart X (there's already a TTF entry in xorg.conf)..

    KDE gets its stuff from the X server, not the other way around.

  3. Re: font installation in slackware 12

    On Sep 23, 9:16 am, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    > jessb...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > There seems to be a problem in system-wide font installation in Slack

    > The simplest way to install fonts system-wide is to simply put them in
    > an appropriate directory in /usr/share/fonts (Slackware 12); e.g., TTF
    > fonts in /usr/share/fonts/TTF, then run mkfontscale and mkfontdir in
    > that directory (cd TTF; mkfontscale; mkfontdir).
    >
    > After that's done, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add entries in Section
    > "Files" then restart X (there's already a TTF entry in xorg.conf)..
    >
    > KDE gets its stuff from the X server, not the other way around.

    Thanks Thomas.
    On investigation I found that the fonts do get installed as I can see
    them in non-KDE apps like Scilab. But these new fonts do not appear in
    the "Settings /font list" of any of the apps like konqueror, kedit,
    etc. It appears that KDE cannot pick the names of these fonts.

  4. Re: font installation in slackware 12

    jessbody@gmail.com wrote:

    > Thanks Thomas.
    > On investigation I found that the fonts do get installed as I can see
    > them in non-KDE apps like Scilab. But these new fonts do not appear in
    > the "Settings /font list" of any of the apps like konqueror, kedit,
    > etc. It appears that KDE cannot pick the names of these fonts.

    Did you run fc-cache -f (or reboot) at any point after you ran
    mkfontscale and mkfontdir? Don't know specifically about KDE (because
    I've never fiddled with its settings) but either a manual execution of
    fc-cache or a reboot may doit toit for you. Another test you can do is
    look at the font list in, say, OpenOffice Writer; the fonts installed
    should be available there.

  5. Re: font installation in slackware 12

    > After that's done, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add entries in Section
    > "Files" then restart X (there's already a TTF entry in xorg.conf)..
    >
    > KDE gets its stuff from the X server, not the other way around.

    Actually that's obsolete since FontConfig and XFT appeared.

    These days, apps (ussually trough it's GUI toolkit) draw fonts themselves to
    an image or draw through Xrender.

    So, you don't need to set the X server, except for some basic fonts (cursor,
    misc, fixed and so).

    The configuration for FontConfig is in /etc/fontconfig/ and in ~/.fonts.conf
    (BTW this is set up by KDE ussualy). Also KDE's font installer ussually
    does a good job.

    --
    damjan

+ Reply to Thread