Minimal ("base", "core", "server") Slackware install - Slackware

This is a discussion on Minimal ("base", "core", "server") Slackware install - Slackware ; Mark South wrote: > .... snip ... > > Ideal boot time? Zero seconds, obviously. How much of your life > do you think has been spent waiting for systems to boot? I used to grumble about CP/M boot time, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Minimal ("base", "core", "server") Slackware install

    Mark South wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Ideal boot time? Zero seconds, obviously. How much of your life
    > do you think has been spent waiting for systems to boot?

    I used to grumble about CP/M boot time, which was largely spent
    making a usage map of the disk(s). :-)

  2. Re: Minimal ("base", "core", "server") Slackware install

    On 2007-09-27, CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Ideal boot time? Zero seconds, obviously. How much of your life
    >> do you think has been spent waiting for systems to boot?

    > I used to grumble about CP/M boot time, which was largely spent
    > making a usage map of the disk(s). :-)

    How long do your Win98 systems take to boot up? LOL

    Fix your non-Netiquette-compliant signature block, win-droid.

    Then just bugger off and leave the Linux newsgroups to those who
    actually use Linux.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  3. Re: Minimal ("base", "core", "server") Slackware install

    frz wrote:
    > Another question; could a bootable system be just the running kernel
    > and a shell?

    Yes, that description rather much resembles what a Slackware installation
    environment looks like. Instead of using init and inittab to let the user
    log in and then start a shell the shell is started directly.

    However, to be able to do anything useful in your shell you will also need
    other binaries like ls, cp and cat.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: Minimal ("base", "core", "server") Slackware install

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:16:34 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > frz wrote:
    >> Another question; could a bootable system be just the running kernel
    >> and a shell?

    Essentially, yes, although one needs to have a filesystem in place as well.

    And you need enough infrastructure in place to be able to boot the system,
    which normally means installing a bootloader somewhere.

    > Yes, that description rather much resembles what a Slackware installation
    > environment looks like. Instead of using init and inittab to let the user
    > log in and then start a shell the shell is started directly.
    >
    > However, to be able to do anything useful in your shell you will also need
    > other binaries like ls, cp and cat.

    Here's an educational project for a rainy day that lets one see how small
    and simple Linux can be:

    http://www.happy-monkey.net/pocket/

    It's a Linux system on 2 floppies that you build yourself from source.

    Floppies don't need a bootloader either, since the kernel can load itself
    from a floppy.

    I did this project over the course of a weekend about 3 years ago and
    learned quite a bit about how some bits of Linux work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2