Capturing sound - Slackware

This is a discussion on Capturing sound - Slackware ; Hello, I can listen to some programs over the internet using firefox, but I'm not able to pause or rewind. I would like to capture that sound on a audio file for later playback. When listening to the sound (with ...

  1. Capturing sound

    Hello,

    I can listen to some programs over the internet using firefox, but I'm
    not able to pause or rewind. I would like to capture that sound on a
    audio file for later playback. When listening to the sound (with Gxine
    I think) I have to wait several minutes while it is buffering. I
    conjecture it is downloading the whole sound file. If that is correct
    all I have to do is to make a copy of that sound file. The questions
    are:

    1. If I'm correct that the whole file is downloaded where is it?

    2. If for some reason its not completely downloaded, can I capture
    the sound as it is being played with fiddling with cables.

    3. If for some reason (1) and (2) are not possible, can I run a cable
    from the audio out into an audio in jack. I'm sure that can be done,
    but maybe someone can give me pointers as I have never used alsamixer
    or whatever to capture sound.

    Thanks for any help

    klee12

  2. Re: Capturing sound

    Ooops I forgot to add that I'm installing Slack 12, and that my I'm
    using the alsa packages. If another package can do what I want, I'd
    appreciate hearing about it. I prefer not to install KDE just for this
    application, assuming KDE can do what I want.

    klee12

  3. Re: Capturing sound

    Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:47:33 -0700, klee12 did cat*:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I can listen to some programs over the internet using firefox, but I'm
    > not able to pause or rewind. I would like to capture that sound on a
    > audio file for later playback. When listening to the sound (with Gxine I
    > think) I have to wait several minutes while it is buffering. I
    > conjecture it is downloading the whole sound file. If that is correct
    > all I have to do is to make a copy of that sound file. The questions
    > are:
    >
    > 1. If I'm correct that the whole file is downloaded where is it?

    in the xine temporary bucket, you'll find some leaks from time to
    time in your $HOME when xine crashes.

    > 2. If for some reason its not completely downloaded, can I capture the
    > sound as it is being played with fiddling with cables.

    Yes. but the solution is extremly dependant on what is the
    source format, capturing a stream is not like capturing a sound source.

    > 3. If for some reason (1) and (2) are not possible, can I run a cable
    > from the audio out into an audio in jack. I'm sure that can be done, but
    > maybe someone can give me pointers as I have never used alsamixer or
    > whatever to capture sound.

    for "actual" sound capture you may use arecord, it'll
    probably involve you in reading the docs.

    for actual or streaming sound capture i'd recommend to use
    the -dumpaudio or dumpstream options off mplayer.
    for actual sound you may also use directly mencoder.

    to transmute streams into actual sound files (so you can
    use proper pause, rewind, ffw, etc.) you'll have to
    chose the correct tool, most of the time mencoder will
    be the one.

  4. Re: Capturing sound

    Thanks Loki Harfagr , I read the documentation of amixer and fooled
    around with it for a couple of hours, but no luck. Evidently the alsa
    programs can play and record but I couldn't get it to do both at the
    same time. Slackware doesn't come with mplayer and mencode. I may (in
    the future) try to get them to do what I want.

    klee12

  5. Re: Capturing sound

    On 2007-09-18, klee12 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I can listen to some programs over the internet using firefox, but I'm
    > not able to pause or rewind. I would like to capture that sound on a
    > audio file for later playback. When listening to the sound (with Gxine
    > I think) I have to wait several minutes while it is buffering. I
    > conjecture it is downloading the whole sound file. If that is correct
    > all I have to do is to make a copy of that sound file.

    I see elsewhere in the thread you mention that you don't have mplayer,
    but can I suggest that this is the answer for you? The syntax to
    capture a .ram file to disk for example is:

    mplayer -playlist URL.ram -ao pcm:file=saved.wav -vo null -vc null

    and the stream will be saved in real time to the working directory as
    saved.wav. Then convert to whatever audio format: mp3, ogg etc.

    Pick up the svn copy and the complete codecs package, you won't regret
    it.

    Andrew

    --
    ὑπερθορὼν δὲ πύργον *μηστὴς λέων
    ἄδην ἔλειξεν αἵματος τυραννικοῦ.

  6. Re: Capturing sound

    Hello,

    Thanks Andrew for your suggestions. Mplayer seems like it's what I
    need. I'll give a try.

    > I see elsewhere in the thread you mention that you don't have mplayer,
    > but can I suggest that this is the answer for you? The syntax to
    > capture a .ram file to disk for example is:
    >
    > mplayer -playlist URL.ram -ao pcm:file=saved.wav -vo null -vc null
    >
    > and the stream will be saved in real time to the working directory as
    > saved.wav. Then convert to whatever audio format: mp3, ogg etc.

    Mplayer wasn't in the Slackware 12 distribution. I found it on

    http://www.linuxpackages.net/

    and installed it with a few addition libraries. I'm read the
    documentation and started testing it and found I need to install
    addtitional codecs. I'll get the codecs soon (I'm a little busy now).
    After that I'll try to install the mplayerplug-ins.

    But before I go on, I have a few questions which I hope you, or
    anyelse, can shed some light on.

    1. I'm using gxine for listening to the webcasts; it's not that great
    but I came with the Slackware distribution. and does the job mostly.
    If I install the mplayer plugin, do I have to uninstall the gxine
    package?

    2. Normally when I listen to a webcast over the web I just click on a
    link, and Gxine is automatically launched. If I use the Mplayer plugin
    and it works, how can I get it to save the audio as a file? Will the
    plugin look at some cofiguration file. If not, what's the easiest way
    to get the URL of the stream. I've saved the link and looked at it was
    unable to find a link to pass to mplayer.

    >Pick up the svn copy and the complete codecs package, you won't regret
    >it.

    I'm not sure what the svn copy is. However can get a Slackware
    packages for the player and the plugin and I can get
    all-20061022.tar.bz2 at

    http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/

    Nothing missing and it should work, right?

    Thanks again for your help

    klee12

  7. Re: Capturing sound

    Hello,

    I tried to install mplayer using on my computer. The package
    description of from www.linuxpackages.net said there would be a list
    of required software in a file, slack-req in the package. I looked at
    that file and found many required packages, eg faac >= 1.25, faad2 >=
    2.5 that were not in my distribution. Does that mean I have to hunt
    them down somewhere? Or are they optional?

    Thanks in advance for any help

    klee12

  8. Re: Capturing sound

  9. Re: Capturing sound

    > Well there's your problem! :^) IMHO, it's generally best practice to
    > stay away from linuxpackages.net as many of their packages are sub-par
    > or rely on lots of external dependencies that aren't part of Slackware
    > meaning you have to go out and get even more packages to satisfy those
    > deps. However,http://www.slackbuilds.orghas a good build script for
    > MPlayer, a script for the codecs, and a script for the mplayer-plugin.
    > None of these require any dependencies that aren't part of the typical
    > Slackware installation.

    Thanks for your suggestions Alan Hicks. Acturally there were quite a
    few (more than the two I listed) external dependencies, and I
    suspected that I would have trouble making them work together.

    I went to slackbuild.org and got the builds for mplayer, mplayer-
    codecs-all, and mplayer-plugin. The first two builds went flawlessly;
    for the plugin I installed seamonkey as suggested in the README, then
    tried to do the build. I got the following messages

    configure: Determining mozilla/firefox packages to build against
    checking for MOZPLUG... configure: WARNING: mozilla-plugin not found
    checking for MOZPLUG... configure: WARNING: firefox-plugin not found
    checking for MOZPLUG... configure: WARNING: seamonkey-plugin not found
    checking for MOZPLUG... configure: WARNING: xulrunner-plugin not found
    checking for MOZPLUG... configure: WARNING: iceape-plugin not found
    configure: error: Unable to find mozilla or firefox development files

    I'd appreciate any help on what I'm missing

    klee12

  10. Re: Capturing sound

    Hello,

    After the last post, I went back looked at the error output more
    carefully. It said that I didn't have /usr/bin/pkg-config and
    continued the processing. I checked list of packages found there was a
    package with that name, installed it and ran the build. Now the build
    successfully got past the configure error messages. I think that the
    README was incomplete since it said to install MPlayer and SeaMonkey
    but omitted pkg-config.

    The build did not complete. After some the last compilation, I find
    the lines

    cp Source/nsIScriptableMplayerPlugin.xpt mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt
    make -C po
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/SBo/mplayerplug-in/po'
    msgfmt -o da.mo da.po
    make[1]: msgfmt: Command not found
    make[1]: *** [da.mo] Error 127
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/mplayerplug-in/po'
    make: *** [languages] Error 2
    ~
    Any help appreciated

    klee12

  11. Re: Capturing sound

    klee12 (klee12@alum.mit.edu) writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > After the last post, I went back looked at the error output more
    > carefully. It said that I didn't have /usr/bin/pkg-config and
    > continued the processing. I checked list of packages found there was a
    > package with that name, installed it and ran the build. Now the build
    > successfully got past the configure error messages. I think that the
    > README was incomplete since it said to install MPlayer and SeaMonkey
    > but omitted pkg-config.

    Or maybe the problem is that people are deciding on their own initiative
    what to install, and then think they should be told what's needed
    later.

    Even if I was doing a selective install, I'm pretty certain I would
    have installed pkg-config, since it sounds like something important,
    and it only takes 150K of hard drive space. YOu'd have to dump
    an awful lot of those small utilities before you could make space
    for some bloated gui-based application, yet removing one of those
    large gui-based applications not only frees up a lot of space at
    one time, but has none of this low level fussing over what might
    depend on it.

    For most people hard drive space is more than enough, so they
    don't need to selective install. People can always remove things
    as they get familiar with what's there, remove applications that
    they realize they never use. Six years after I first installed Slackware,
    there is still lots I've yet to use (though of course that's also
    an indicator that I could remove it, certainly applications).

    Michael

  12. Re: Capturing sound

    > Or maybe the problem is that people are deciding on their own initiative
    > what to install, and then think they should be told what's needed
    > later.

    Yep, that was the problem. I went back and installed every recommended
    package in the development directory of the Slackware distribution,
    and everything went fine.

    I decided not to install anything unless I knew what it did and
    thought there was a chance I would use it. That seemed to work,
    because if I missed a library the loader would tell me it's name, and
    in 3 minutes I would have it the library installed. The big mistake I
    made was not giving enough attention to the development tools; if a
    development tool was not there, there would be only cryptic error
    messages.

    OK, one more question, off topic really. I've got gxine and the
    mplayer plug-ins installed and there seems to be no conflict and
    everything is fine. But ( not that it's important but I'm curious) if
    both gxine and mplayer can play the same type, which one gets to
    play. Way back in the stone ages I could control plugins
    with .mime.types and .mailcap files in my home directory and I could
    say assign a file extension to a particular program. I've looked
    in .mozilla ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat and ~/.mozilla/firefox/
    rxi1v2pa.default/mimeTypes.rdf but can't figure them out.

    Thanks for all the help

    klee12

  13. Re: Capturing sound

    klee12 wrote:

    > OK, one more question, off topic really. I've got gxine and the
    > mplayer plug-ins installed and there seems to be no conflict and
    > everything is fine. But ( not that it's important but I'm curious) if
    > both gxine and mplayer can play the same type, which one gets to
    > play. Way back in the stone ages I could control plugins
    > with .mime.types and .mailcap files in my home directory and I could
    > say assign a file extension to a particular program. I've looked
    > in .mozilla ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat and ~/.mozilla/firefox/
    > rxi1v2pa.default/mimeTypes.rdf but can't figure them out.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types...wnload_actions

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/MimeTypes.rdf

    Richard James

+ Reply to Thread