installing nvidia driver - Slackware

This is a discussion on installing nvidia driver - Slackware ; Hello, I tried to install the nvidia driver from Nvidia. After I ran then nvidia-installer, the installation bombed. I looked in the nvidia- installer.log and it said after some compilation messages ld -r -o nvidia.o nv-linux.o nv-kernel.o -> done. -> ...

  1. installing nvidia driver

    Hello,

    I tried to install the nvidia driver from Nvidia. After I ran then
    nvidia-installer, the installation bombed. I looked in the nvidia-
    installer.log and it said after some compilation messages

    ld -r -o nvidia.o nv-linux.o nv-kernel.o
    -> done.
    -> Kernel module compilation complete.
    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.o'. This happens most
    frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong
    or
    improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc
    that differs
    from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver
    such as
    rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel
    module from
    obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

    Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and
    'Kernel
    messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-
    installer.log' for
    more information.
    -> Kernel module load error: ./usr/src/nv/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol
    release_console_sem
    ./usr/src/nv/nvidia.o:
    Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible
    license
    and it has unresolved symbols. The module may be trying to access
    GPLONLY symbols but the problem is more likely to be a coding or
    user error. Contact the module supplier for assistance, only they
    can help you.
    -> Kernel messages:
    hw_random: RNG not detected
    i810_rng: RNG not detected
    hw_random: RNG not detected
    i810_rng: RNG not detected
    hw_random: RNG not detected
    i810_rng: RNG not detected
    hw_random: RNG not detected
    i810_rng: RNG not detected
    hw_random: RNG not detected
    i810_rng: RNG not detected

    I'm running Slackware 10.1 so possibly somethings are out of date. Any
    help greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    klee12

  2. Re: installing nvidia driver

    klee12 ha scritto:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I tried to install the nvidia driver from Nvidia. After I ran then
    > nvidia-installer, the installation bombed. I looked in the nvidia-
    > installer.log and it said after some compilation messages

    Two days ago I had the same log, it was a 2.4-based slackware.
    Had to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, then everything worked fine with nv drivers.

  3. Re: installing nvidia driver

    klee12 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I tried to install the nvidia driver from Nvidia. After I ran then
    > nvidia-installer, the installation bombed. I looked in the nvidia-
    > installer.log and it said after some compilation messages
    >
    > ld -r -o nvidia.o nv-linux.o nv-kernel.o
    > -> done.
    > -> Kernel module compilation complete.
    > ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.o'. This happens most
    > frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong
    > or
    > improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc
    > that differs
    > from the one used to build the target kernel,

    did you upgrade gcc? are you using swaret or slapt-get and had them do
    updates for you? not sure what gcc slack 10.1 ships with, but you can do
    `gcc -v` and figure out if its the default one of if its upgraded

    > or if a driver
    > such as
    > rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel
    > module from
    > obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

    is xwindows running? make sure that those modules aren't loaded, do `lsmod |
    most` to see what is loaded

    > I'm running Slackware 10.1 so possibly somethings are out of date. Any
    > help greatly appreciated.

    If you think its the out of date issue, try older versions of the nvidia
    driver. they have them under archive just before you download it.

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > klee12

  4. Re: installing nvidia driver

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:33:47 +0200, luca wrote:

    > klee12 ha scritto:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I tried to install the nvidia driver from Nvidia. After I ran then
    >> nvidia-installer, the installation bombed. I looked in the nvidia-
    >> installer.log and it said after some compilation messages

    > Two days ago I had the same log, it was a 2.4-based slackware. Had to
    > upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, then everything worked fine with nv drivers.

    If i recall correctly there is a legacy driver that you need from nvidia.
    The most current will not work.

    --
    Only trust pipe-smoking penguins.

  5. Re: installing nvidia driver

    On Sep 4, 9:16 am, haldir wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:33:47 +0200, luca wrote:
    > > klee12 ha scritto:
    > >> Hello,

    > >> I tried to install the nvidia driver from Nvidia. After I ran then
    > >> nvidia-installer, the installation bombed. I looked in the nvidia-
    > >> installer.log and it said after some compilation messages

    > > Two days ago I had the same log, it was a 2.4-based slackware. Had to
    > > upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, then everything worked fine with nv drivers.

    > If i recall correctly there is a legacy driver that you need from nvidia.
    > The most current will not work.
    >
    > --
    > Only trust pipe-smoking penguins.

    Thanks to everyone for your replies. Alas, still having problems. I
    thought I would try an older version of nvidia dirver, since the newer
    kernel might break something. I downloaded an older package, and ran
    the script. It compiled and told me everthing was OK. I changed the
    driver from nv to nvidia, and did a few other things. Then I ran
    xinit. I got a blank screen and everything locked up. I had to
    hardware reboot and then I looked at the log
    file. I showed that nvidia was computing the modelines and I got
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1024x768"
    (II) Loading extension NV-GLX
    (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
    (II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
    Then a few lines later the log ended with the following

    (II) Initializing extension GLX
    (WW) Mouse1: No Device specified, looking for one...
    (II) Mouse1: Setting Device option to "/dev/mouse"
    (--) Mouse1: Device: "/dev/mouse"
    (==) Mouse1: Protocol: "Auto"
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
    (==) Mouse1: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    (==) Mouse1: Buttons: 3
    (II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
    (--) Mouse1: PnP-detected protocol: "ImPS/2"
    (II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

    So what's going on. Was Nvidia finished or did it choke on something
    later? Any help appreciated.

    klee12

+ Reply to Thread