Slack 12 install from ISO images on HD - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 12 install from ISO images on HD - Slackware ; After booting from a Slax USB stick, downloaded Slack 12 ISO images on to HD. Since did not have a CD burner, so installed by mounting ISO's as "-o loop" and using installpkg to install all packages to a partition, ...

  1. Slack 12 install from ISO images on HD

    After booting from a Slax USB stick, downloaded Slack 12 ISO images on
    to HD. Since did not have a CD burner, so installed by mounting ISO's
    as "-o loop" and using installpkg to install all packages to a
    partition, following the procedure described here:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=568173

    by "pkzj"

    After setting "lilo.conf" and running lilo, slack 12 boots.

    Now the problem:
    After boot the kernel shows ("uname -a") version 2.6.16. The kernels
    on slack 12 are of course all 2.6.21.5. As a result none of the
    drivers are loaded. The error messages are:

    version magic 2.6.21.5 mod_unloaded 486 should be 2.6.16 ...

    Now the SlAX under which I ran installpkg to install slack 12 packages
    has a kernel version of 2.6.16. I fail to see how would that affect
    the slack 12 installation kernel version.

    Any way to set this right short of burning CD's?

  2. Re: Slack 12 install from ISO images on HD

    jessbody@gmail.com wrote:

    > After booting from a Slax USB stick, downloaded Slack 12 ISO images on
    > to HD. Since did not have a CD burner, so installed by mounting ISO's
    > as "-o loop" and using installpkg to install all packages to a
    > partition, following the procedure described here:
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=568173
    >
    > by "pkzj"
    >
    > After setting "lilo.conf" and running lilo, slack 12 boots.
    >
    > Now the problem:
    > After boot the kernel shows ("uname -a") version 2.6.16. The kernels
    > on slack 12 are of course all 2.6.21.5. As a result none of the
    > drivers are loaded. The error messages are:
    >
    > version magic 2.6.21.5 mod_unloaded 486 should be 2.6.16 ...
    >
    > Now the SlAX under which I ran installpkg to install slack 12 packages
    > has a kernel version of 2.6.16. I fail to see how would that affect
    > the slack 12 installation kernel version.
    >
    > Any way to set this right short of burning CD's?

    Not sure, but did you install to a new partition? Also, what do you get if
    you ls /lib/modules in the partition you installed slack12 packages to?
    Also, are you sure you didn't 'cd' to the packages for the slax boot disk
    by accident (and therefore installing those packages instead)?

  3. Re: Slack 12 install from ISO images on HD

    jessbody@gmail.com wrote:
    > After booting from a Slax USB stick, downloaded Slack 12 ISO images on
    > to HD. Since did not have a CD burner, so installed by mounting ISO's
    > as "-o loop" and using installpkg to install all packages to a
    > partition, following the procedure described here:
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=568173
    >
    > by "pkzj"
    >
    > After setting "lilo.conf" and running lilo, slack 12 boots.
    >
    > Now the problem:
    > After boot the kernel shows ("uname -a") version 2.6.16. The kernels
    > on slack 12 are of course all 2.6.21.5. As a result none of the
    > drivers are loaded. The error messages are:
    >
    > version magic 2.6.21.5 mod_unloaded 486 should be 2.6.16 ...
    >
    > Now the SlAX under which I ran installpkg to install slack 12 packages
    > has a kernel version of 2.6.16. I fail to see how would that affect
    > the slack 12 installation kernel version.
    >
    > Any way to set this right short of burning CD's?

    Something says burning CDs isn't required.

    Here's a couple quick ideas.

    Remove the USB stick so it isn't booting?

    Check that lilo is pointing to the right kernel?

    Boot into slack 12, mount the ISO again, reinstall the kernel, rerun lilo?

    - Daniel

  4. Re: Slack 12 install from ISO images on HD

    OK, my mistake.
    The easiest way was to read the README in CD2 "usb-and-pxe-
    installers." Copy (dd) the usbboot.img to usb stick and boot from the
    usb stick. From there it is a normal install.

+ Reply to Thread