Booting both Slackwaare and Debian - Slackware

This is a discussion on Booting both Slackwaare and Debian - Slackware ; I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on / hdb3. They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo. would somebody ...

  1. Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    hdb3.
    They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to
    modifying grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the
    menu.lst file or something else?

    I am using the mbr in both cases.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:07:59 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    > hdb3.
    > They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    > won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    > would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    > that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to
    > modifying grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the
    > menu.lst file or something else?
    >
    > I am using the mbr in both cases.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Caveat: I am not running Debian or booting with Lilo.

    Sorry, I don't use lilo. Perhaps, this will help if you want to stick with
    grub (with Stage1 at the MBR.) Grub _should_ be able to boot slackware
    correctly. From what you've said, your grub stanza should look something
    like this. BTW, grub will "live" on your bootable partition. This may be
    Debian at hda1. If it boots Debian's kernel, then it should be a simple
    matter of adding a Slackware stanza to grub's configuration file.

    tltle Slackware
    root (hd1,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb3

    Alternate method...
    If you insist on using Lilo with Slackware, then using grub's
    chainloader keyword is probably the easiest. Setup lilo on
    hdb1's MBR. Caution: be sure of your itended lilo's target. Then add a
    slackware stanza to grub (in Debian's boot folder).

    title Slackware-via lilo loader
    rootnoverify (hd1)
    chainloader +1

  3. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    "john@wexfordpress.com" wrote:
    > I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    > hdb3.

    I have no experience from Debian, but have been running different
    Slackware versions on the same machine.

    > They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    > won't boot Debian correctly.

    In this situation I would try to use Lilo for Slackware and Grub for
    Debian.

    > I am using the mbr in both cases.

    When having dual Linux installations I have allways installed one of the
    bootloaders in the root partition of that OS installation. Only one
    bootloader is allowed to be installed in the MBR. The bootloader in the
    MBR is then configured to chain load the bootloader in the other OS root
    partition. Sorry I have no examples on how to do this with Grub, but if it
    would be useful I could dig up some example where Lilo on the MBR calls
    Lilo in the boot record of a partition.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    > hdb3.
    > They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    > won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    > would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    > that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to
    > modifying grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the
    > menu.lst file or something else?
    >
    > I am using the mbr in both cases.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Under Slackware; mount your Debian partition; say under /mnt/debian

    Then you put the following entry in your lilo.conf

    image=/mnt/debian/boot/vmlinuz
    label="Debian"
    root=/dev/sda2
    initrd=/mnt/debian/boot/initrd.img
    append="see what is in the grub file for debian"

    You simply put all the files (the Debian kernel and the Debian initrd)
    *as seen from the Slackware system*.

    Olive

    and

  5. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    > hdb3.
    > They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    > won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    > would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    > that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to
    > modifying grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the
    > menu.lst file or something else?
    >
    > I am using the mbr in both cases.

    Careful, you are using mbr, full stop.
    Whichever boot loader is residing in mbr you have to teach it to do
    exactly what _you_ want.
    So-to the clerical work, learn the pecularities of either Lilo/Grub till
    they listen, it's worth the effort.
    In my case when having multiple OS's I persisted on using Lilo to the
    extent that the "native" boot loader in mbr called guest Lilo installs
    _on_ partition and those were configured with 0(zero) delay to boot the
    guest OS. Only later the proper calls were incorporated in "native"
    lilo.conf and reinstalled in mbr.
    No magic incantations, just simple elbow grease will get you there.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    > John Culleton

  6. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    On Sep 2, 5:28 pm, Olive wrote:
    > j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    > > hdb3.
    > > They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    > > won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    > > would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    > > that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to
    > > modifying grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the
    > > menu.lst file or something else?

    > > I am using the mbr in both cases.

    > >JohnCulleton

    > Under Slackware; mount your Debian partition; say under /mnt/debian
    >
    > Then you put the following entry in your lilo.conf
    >
    > image=/mnt/debian/boot/vmlinuz
    > label="Debian"
    > root=/dev/sda2
    > initrd=/mnt/debian/boot/initrd.img
    > append="see what is in the grub file for debian"
    >
    > You simply put all the files (the Debian kernel and the Debian initrd)
    > *as seen from the Slackware system*.
    >
    > Olive
    >
    > and

    Thanks! It was the initrd part that I was missing. I already mounted
    the Debian partition etc. And that last line is confusing me . Are
    you referring to /boot/grub/menu.lst as a source?

  7. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:07:59 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    > hdb3.
    > They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    > won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    > would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    > that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to modifying
    > grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the menu.lst file or
    > something else?
    >
    > I am using the mbr in both cases.
    >
    > John Culleton

    I like grub because you can modify your boot options without altering the
    MBR every time. You just have to edit menu.lst. Grub can boot Slackware
    just fine. I have had it booting Slackware, Ubuntu, Vector Linux,
    Xubuntu, Mandrake, and Win98SE (not all on the same PC).

    All I've done is copy and modify menu.lst as it was set up originally by
    Mandrake 8.1, I believe. I've installed grub again, but used the same
    menu.lst as before. I'm no grub (or lilo) expert.

    My Slackware "stanzas" of menu.lst are a little different than what
    Douglas Mayne specified (I don't have the "root" line), but they work. If
    you're using an initrd, you'll need another line, which would be:

    initrd (hd1,2)/path-and-name-of-the-initrd-file

    In case you hadn't noticed, the hard drives and partitions are numerated
    beginning with zero, the way C programmers count.

    If you're using a 2.4 kernel, add " hdx=ide-scsi" to the end of the line
    that begins with the word kernel, where x is the letter for your CD
    drive (probably c or d). I would guess a DVD drive would be the same. I
    don't know what you do for two such drives.

    The title itself (not the title line) cannot have spaces in it, and
    there's a maximum title length that I can't recall.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  8. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > On Sep 2, 5:28 pm, Olive wrote:
    >> j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >>> I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    >>> hdb3.
    >>> They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    >>> won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    >>> would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    >>> that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to
    >>> modifying grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the
    >>> menu.lst file or something else?
    >>> I am using the mbr in both cases.
    >>> JohnCulleton

    >> Under Slackware; mount your Debian partition; say under /mnt/debian
    >>
    >> Then you put the following entry in your lilo.conf
    >>
    >> image=/mnt/debian/boot/vmlinuz
    >> label="Debian"
    >> root=/dev/sda2
    >> initrd=/mnt/debian/boot/initrd.img
    >> append="see what is in the grub file for debian"
    >>
    >> You simply put all the files (the Debian kernel and the Debian initrd)
    >> *as seen from the Slackware system*.
    >>
    >> Olive
    >>
    >> and

    > Thanks! It was the initrd part that I was missing. I already mounted
    > the Debian partition etc. And that last line is confusing me . Are
    > you referring to /boot/grub/menu.lst as a source?

    The append= line is the kernel command line, i.e. the options the are
    passed to the kernel at boot time. There might well be no option at all.
    You can indeed find this in the menu.lst file of grub. The syntax is a
    little different for grub (and I am not very familiar with grub), but it
    will be easy to identify; I think in grub these options are mentioned
    right after the kernel name. (note that the root= option is specified as
    a kernel command line for grub but is a separate entry for lilo).

    A common option passed in this way is resume=/dev/hda to specify from
    what partition to resume an hibernated system (it is usually the swap
    partition). Others options might be passed to disable acpi, etc... ; but
    normally; you do not need these.

    Olive

    Olive

  9. Re: Booting both Slackwaare and Debian

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:07:59 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Debian partition on /hda1. I have a Slackware partition on /
    >> hdb3.
    >> They run different kernels. Grub won't boot Slack correctly and Lilo
    >> won't boot Debian correctly. I am of course more familiar with Lilo.
    >> would somebody be kind enough to post all or part of a lilo.conf file
    >> that will in fact boot a debian partition? I am also open to
    >> modifying grub instead but I don't know where to start. Is it the
    >> menu.lst file or something else?
    >>
    >> I am using the mbr in both cases.
    >>
    >> John Culleton
    >>

    > Caveat: I am not running Debian or booting with Lilo.
    >
    > Sorry, I don't use lilo. Perhaps, this will help if you want to stick with
    > grub (with Stage1 at the MBR.) Grub _should_ be able to boot slackware
    > correctly. From what you've said, your grub stanza should look something
    > like this. BTW, grub will "live" on your bootable partition. This may be
    > Debian at hda1. If it boots Debian's kernel, then it should be a simple
    > matter of adding a Slackware stanza to grub's configuration file.

    This is the way I would do it. It keeps debian's updates of menu.lst
    working when you install/remove kernels. Both stanza's below will work
    (except "tltle" in the first stanza which should read "title" :-) and I
    slightly prefer the first one.
    You should however be aware of "the debian way of doing things".
    Note the following lines in menu.lst (taken form an debian etch system):

    #
    # Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

    ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
    ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

    and:

    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    Put your slackware stanza _outside_ of this debian-maintained section.

    > tltle Slackware
    > root (hd1,2)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdb3
    >
    > Alternate method...
    > If you insist on using Lilo with Slackware, then using grub's
    > chainloader keyword is probably the easiest. Setup lilo on
    > hdb1's MBR. Caution: be sure of your itended lilo's target. Then add a
    > slackware stanza to grub (in Debian's boot folder).
    >
    > title Slackware-via lilo loader
    > rootnoverify (hd1)
    > chainloader +1

    Regards,