Slack 11 rescue.dsk doesn't boot - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack 11 rescue.dsk doesn't boot - Slackware ; Hi, I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old pc without CDROM (over NFS). The installation went ok (booting from floppy), except for the first real boot: L 99. I didn't create a boot or a rescue disk, so ...

  1. Slack 11 rescue.dsk doesn't boot

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old pc without CDROM (over NFS).
    The installation went ok (booting from floppy), except for the first
    real boot: L 99. I didn't create a boot or a rescue disk, so I
    downloaded rescue.dsk from ftp. However, no matter what I try (dd
    if=rescue.dsk of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440 or cat rescue.dsk > /dev/fd0) and from
    which site I download the image, the floppy won't boot. No errormessage
    is given: at the moment the floppy is read, the led burns for a moment
    and that's it.
    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Slack 11 rescue.dsk doesn't boot

    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install Slack 11 on an old pc without CDROM (over NFS).
    > The installation went ok (booting from floppy), except for the first
    > real boot: L 99. I didn't create a boot or a rescue disk, so I
    > downloaded rescue.dsk from ftp. However, no matter what I try (dd
    > if=rescue.dsk of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440 or cat rescue.dsk > /dev/fd0) and from
    > which site I download the image, the floppy won't boot. No errormessage
    > is given: at the moment the floppy is read, the led burns for a moment
    > and that's it.
    > Any suggestions?

    Read rescue.dsk.README - you need a boot disk to get going before
    rescue.sdk will load.

    Steve

  3. Re: Slack 11 rescue.dsk doesn't boot

    > Read rescue.dsk.README - you need a boot disk to get going before
    > rescue.sdk will load.
    >
    > Steve

    I did read it. I booted using sata.i, install.1 and install.2. But I
    couldn't get rescue.dsk started from there. What other bootdisk should I
    use if that's not correct? I didn't make a bootfloppy.

  4. Re: Slack 11 rescue.dsk doesn't boot

    Huub wrote:
    >> Read rescue.dsk.README - you need a boot disk to get going before
    >> rescue.sdk will load.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > I did read it. I booted using sata.i, install.1 and install.2. But I
    > couldn't get rescue.dsk started from there. What other bootdisk should I
    > use if that's not correct? I didn't make a bootfloppy.

    I know it can be aggravating when things aren't working right but you
    would've saved some time if you mentioned that to start with. I just
    tried booting with bare.i and then used rescue.dsk when it asked for the
    root disk and that worked on my machine without any problems.

    Your original post stated that it's an "old pc" but you also say that
    you boot with the sata.i boot disk? What's your definition of old?

    The lilo man page suggest using one of their diagnostic disks when you
    get the 99 error code. You can get them from
    http://home.san.rr.com/j/o/johninsd/...nux/lilo/boot/
    I've never needed them before, so you're on your own.

    You also might be interested in tomsrtbt http://www.toms.net/rb/ It's a
    litle bit dated now, but might be of some use.

    Steve

  5. Re: Slack 11 rescue.dsk doesn't boot

    > I know it can be aggravating when things aren't working right but you
    > would've saved some time if you mentioned that to start with.

    You've got a point. Sorry for that.

    I just
    > tried booting with bare.i and then used rescue.dsk when it asked for the
    > root disk and that worked on my machine without any problems.

    I'll try bare.i.

    > Your original post stated that it's an "old pc" but you also say that
    > you boot with the sata.i boot disk? What's your definition of old?

    PII 200 MHz, 130 MB RAM, 2.5 GB HDD. On the Slack site they say "boot
    with sata.i, if that doesn't work, try bare.i. I did get Slack
    installed, so I assumed I didn't need bare.i.

    > The lilo man page suggest using one of their diagnostic disks when you
    > get the 99 error code. You can get them from
    > http://home.san.rr.com/j/o/johninsd/...nux/lilo/boot/
    > I've never needed them before, so you're on your own.
    >
    > You also might be interested in tomsrtbt http://www.toms.net/rb/ It's a
    > litle bit dated now, but might be of some use.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread