slackware install CD - Slackware

This is a discussion on slackware install CD - Slackware ; Hi, Does anyone know why a slackware install/boot disk would be bootable on one computer and not on another computer. I have a computer that will not recognize the slackware boot disk cdrom even though another computer can boot from ...

  1. slackware install CD

    Hi, Does anyone know why a slackware install/boot disk would be bootable
    on one computer and not on another computer. I have a computer that will
    not recognize the slackware boot disk cdrom even though another computer
    can boot from it.

    I tried using a fedura boot cd in the same computer and the fedura boot
    disk loaded OK; just not the slackware 11.0 cdrom.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: slackware install CD

    George wrote:
    > Hi, Does anyone know why a slackware install/boot disk would be bootable
    > on one computer and not on another computer. I have a computer that will
    > not recognize the slackware boot disk cdrom even though another computer
    > can boot from it.
    >
    > I tried using a fedura boot cd in the same computer and the fedura boot
    > disk loaded OK; just not the slackware 11.0 cdrom.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Sane style of story here, ended after exchanging the cdrom reader.
    Mine was between Slack 11 and 12, Slax, Israel Knoppix, and DOS.
    Slack 12 went on strike on this particular computer only, works on all
    others.

    Can drive you loco!

    HTH

    Stanislaw
    Slack 12 user from Ulladulla.

  3. Re: slackware install CD

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:37:58 -0400, George
    wrote:

    >Hi, Does anyone know why a slackware install/boot disk would be bootable
    >on one computer and not on another computer. I have a computer that will
    >not recognize the slackware boot disk cdrom even though another computer
    >can boot from it.
    >
    >I tried using a fedura boot cd in the same computer and the fedura boot
    >disk loaded OK; just not the slackware 11.0 cdrom.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks

    Read this topic, I had the same issue, wasted many dvd's/cd's before I
    found solution:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...=1&sa=N&tab=wg

    Hope this helps.

  4. Re: slackware install CD

    Manuel Otto wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:37:58 -0400, George
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, Does anyone know why a slackware install/boot disk would be bootable
    >> on one computer and not on another computer. I have a computer that will
    >> not recognize the slackware boot disk cdrom even though another computer
    >> can boot from it.
    >>
    >> I tried using a fedura boot cd in the same computer and the fedura boot
    >> disk loaded OK; just not the slackware 11.0 cdrom.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Read this topic, I had the same issue, wasted many dvd's/cd's before I
    > found solution:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...=1&sa=N&tab=wg
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Thanks!!

  5. Re: slackware install CD

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:48:22 -0400, George
    wrote:

    >Manuel Otto wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:37:58 -0400, George
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, Does anyone know why a slackware install/boot disk would be bootable
    >>> on one computer and not on another computer. I have a computer that will
    >>> not recognize the slackware boot disk cdrom even though another computer
    >>> can boot from it.
    >>>
    >>> I tried using a fedura boot cd in the same computer and the fedura boot
    >>> disk loaded OK; just not the slackware 11.0 cdrom.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Read this topic, I had the same issue, wasted many dvd's/cd's before I
    >> found solution:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...=1&sa=N&tab=wg
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.

    >Thanks!!

    You're much welcome! = :-))

  6. Re: slackware install CD

    George (romans5_8@earthlink.net) writes:
    > Hi, Does anyone know why a slackware install/boot disk would be bootable
    > on one computer and not on another computer. I have a computer that will
    > not recognize the slackware boot disk cdrom even though another computer
    > can boot from it.
    >
    > I tried using a fedura boot cd in the same computer and the fedura boot
    > disk loaded OK; just not the slackware 11.0 cdrom.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't know whether it's your issue or not, but apparently there was
    a change in how the cdroms are made bootable, between Slack 10 and 11,
    and that causes problems.

    I never had a problem until I got Slack 11 (well, it was a DVD) and I
    couldn't boot it. I even got a new DVD drive (because I knew it
    was flakey anyway) and that didn't fix it.

    But, making a floppy with the smart boot manager fixed it.

    And when I got Slack 12, the same thing happened, and the same fix
    fixed the problem.

    I did read the explanation when I was having the problem, I seem to
    recall it has to do with the bios in the computer not being able
    to boot the cd/dvd while computers after a certain time have bios's
    that can deal with it.

    The smart boot manager is in isolinux/sbootmgr on the installation
    cd/dvd and there is a readme.

    Michael

  7. Re: slackware install CD

    et472@FreeNet.Carleton.CA wrote:
    > But, making a floppy with the smart boot manager fixed it.

    I've tried this (from the first CD under isolinux/sbootmgr) on several PCs
    and it never worked. The floppy boots, the menu displays, but whatever I
    try to boot from just gives me "Disk Error 0x01".

  8. Re: slackware install CD

    ljb (lbayuk@pobox.com.nospam) writes:
    > et472@FreeNet.Carleton.CA wrote:
    >> But, making a floppy with the smart boot manager fixed it.

    > I've tried this (from the first CD under isolinux/sbootmgr) on several PCs
    > and it never worked. The floppy boots, the menu displays, but whatever I
    > try to boot from just gives me "Disk Error 0x01".

    I've barely used it, so I'm no expert. I seem to recall my first attempt
    did not work, but I can't remember what happened.

    I initially used cat to make the disk, as mentioned on the cd/dvd. When
    the first attempt did not work (and again I can't remember what happened),
    I took a different floppy, and used dd to get the image on the floppy.
    That worked, though it may have just been the different floppy that
    fixed my problem.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread