nail - Slackware

This is a discussion on nail - Slackware ; Hello, I need help to configure nail to send emails with my google account, it always fails. First question is, does it need sendmail to do that? How to do the configuration of .mailrc? Up to now it contains: set ...

  1. nail

    Hello,

    I need help to configure nail to send emails with my google account,
    it always fails.
    First question is, does it need sendmail to do that?
    How to do the configuration of .mailrc?
    Up to now it contains:

    set smtp=smtp.google.com
    set from=me@gmail.com

    I guess that I should pass it login/username and tell it to use TLS,
    but don't know haw to do that.

    thanks,

    stefano

  2. Re: nail

    stefano.troiani@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need help to configure nail to send emails with my google
    > account, it always fails.

    Unless you really want your email to go through google, you can send
    it from your local machine just like this:

    nail -s 'This is a subject' -r stef.tro@gmail.xx yourrecipient@hisdomain

    It will appear with "..@gmail.xx" in the "from" field.
    Downside: it may be discarded by some antispam program noticing that
    the originating server does not match the domain in the "from" field.

    > First question is, does it need sendmail to do that?

    Yes, for the above trick it's required.

  3. Re: nail

    stefano.troiani@gmail.com wrote:

    > I guess that I should pass it login/username and tell it to use TLS,
    > but don't know haw to do that.

    Read "man nail" for details on the appropriate options to use. In
    particular, look at the various smtp-auth* commands, and the
    smtp-use-starttls directive.

    Jeffrey

  4. Re: nail

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:45:59 +0000, stefano wrote:

    > I need help to configure nail to send emails with my google account, it
    > always fails.
    > First question is, does it need sendmail to do that? How to do the
    > configuration of .mailrc? Up to now it contains:
    >
    > set smtp=smtp.google.com
    > set from=me@gmail.com

    Have you ever set up an e-mail client to use Google Mail, Stefano? If
    not, you need to know that Google's POP access uses port 995 and smtp uses
    port 587.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

+ Reply to Thread