Ejecting cdrom - Slackware

This is a discussion on Ejecting cdrom - Slackware ; I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why....

  1. Ejecting cdrom

    I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to
    change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why.

  2. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    frz wrote:
    > I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to
    > change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why.

    not much details, but HTH:

    man eject
    for more info

    I had to make sure /dev/hdc was linked to /dev/cdrom
    but check the manual first. I do not use automount,
    so I cannot help you if it is related to that. Also,
    if I remember correctly, earlier releases of slack I
    needed added my ID to group cdrom, haven't needed to
    do that with 12.0

    Jack

    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
    or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is

  3. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    frz wrote:
    > I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to
    > change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why.

    man eject
    for more info

    I had to make sure /dev/hdc was linked to /dev/cdrom
    but check the manual first. I do not use automount,
    so I cannot help you if it is related to that. Also,
    if I remember correctly, earlier releases of slack I
    needed added my ID to group cdrom, haven't needed to
    do that with 12.0

    HTH
    Jack

    note: this was cancelled and reposted
    had wrong replyto in original

    --

  4. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    Jack McCue wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > --
    > To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
    > or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is
    > not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
    > to the American public. -- Theodore Roosevelt

    I like it. Stolen.

  5. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    Jack McCue wrote:
    > frz wrote:
    >
    >>I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to
    >>change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why.
    >>

    > man eject
    > for more info

    Also try mount (without any arguments) to see if it's really unmounted.

    > note: this was cancelled and reposted
    > had wrong replyto in original

    IBM eh? Impressive! Although the big hitters alway look more inviting
    from the outside. I worked for AT&T once and it SUCKED!

  6. Re: Ejecting cdrom

  7. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    snip

    > Agreed. Skip the modquote. That truly belongs in fortune.

    snip

    I actually stole it from fortune

    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
    or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is
    not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
    to the American public. -- Theodore Roosevelt

  8. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    Jack McCue says:
    >A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    pgp trash troll delete

    You followed up uber-coward and pgp trash troll Littledick, without
    deleting, and marking, the pgp trash.

    You are hereby killfiled for 28 days. If, after you come back out
    and you followup up a pgp trash troll post without marking it as
    such, and indicating the cowardly nature of the poster, you will
    become a permament member of this newsgroup's community killfile.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  9. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    Realto Margarino writes:

    > You are hereby killfiled for 28 days. If, after you come back out
    > and you followup up a pgp trash troll post without marking it as
    > such, and indicating the cowardly nature of the poster, you will
    > become a permament member of this newsgroup's community killfile.

    Just for the sake of the newcomers and the innocent .......

    there is no such thing as "this newsgroup's community killfile" !

    Though if we all used Gnus that might be feasible :-)

    From the Gnus manual (http://gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html#SEC246)

    ,----
    | Sure, other newsreaders have "global kill files". These are usually
    | nothing more than a single kill file that applies to all groups, stored
    | in the user's home directory. Bah! Puny, weak newsreaders!
    |
    | What I'm talking about here are Global Score Files. Score files from all
    | over the world, from users everywhere, uniting all nations in one big,
    | happy score file union! Ange-score! New and untested!
    `----

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  10. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    frz wrote:

    > I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to
    > change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why.

    I am having similar problems on one machine only. In my case, I can only
    unmount as root. Attempting to manually eject using the case's physical
    button produces no results, and using the "eject" command as my normal
    unprivileged user I get a "function not implemented" error. The "eject"
    command works without complaint as root.

    I am using HAL/KDE (in my unprivileged user account of course), on full
    install of Slackware 12, and my intuition tells me the problem is related
    to HAL, but I don't really know.

    Can you unmount as root? Does anyone know a workaround for this hiccup?

    Jeffrey

  11. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    On Aug 31, 9:43 am, Jeffrey Froman wrote:
    > frz wrote:
    > > I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to
    > > change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why.

    > I am having similar problems on one machine only. In my case, I can only
    > unmount as root. Attempting to manually eject using the case's physical
    > button produces no results, and using the "eject" command as my normal
    > unprivileged user I get a "function not implemented" error. The "eject"
    > command works without complaint as root.
    >
    > I am using HAL/KDE (in my unprivileged user account of course), on full
    > install of Slackware 12, and my intuition tells me the problem is related
    > to HAL, but I don't really know.
    >
    > Can you unmount as root? Does anyone know a workaround for this hiccup?
    >
    > Jeffrey

    I was doing it as root since my user profile is very limited for now.
    I am using xfce4 for the reason that it is less cumbersome then kde
    which should result to faster processing. Although, I admit, I didn't
    have this problem under kde. I don't mind the task of ejecting the
    cdrom from command, I just couldn't find the command. That's the
    problem.

  12. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    On Aug 30, 10:05 pm, j_mc...@SPAMisBADcomcast.net (Jack McCue) wrote:
    > frz wrote:
    > > I am having problem after mounting the cdrom and then umount it to
    > > change the cd, it is not ejecting. I don't why.

    > man eject
    > for more info
    >
    > I had to make sure /dev/hdc was linked to /dev/cdrom
    > but check the manual first. I do not use automount,
    > so I cannot help you if it is related to that. Also,
    > if I remember correctly, earlier releases of slack I
    > needed added my ID to group cdrom, haven't needed to
    > do that with 12.0
    >
    > HTH
    > Jack
    >
    > note: this was cancelled and reposted
    > had wrong replyto in original
    >
    > --

    I will try that. Thanks

  13. Re: Ejecting cdrom

  14. Re: Ejecting cdrom

    Glyn Millington says:
    >Realto Margarino writes:

    >> You are hereby killfiled for 28 days. If, after you come back out
    >> and you followup up a pgp trash troll post without marking it as
    >> such, and indicating the cowardly nature of the poster, you will
    >> become a permament member of this newsgroup's community killfile.

    >Just for the sake of the newcomers and the innocent .......

    You actually read that garbage?

    >there is no such thing as "this newsgroup's community killfile" !

    Sure there is. Apparently you don't know about it.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

+ Reply to Thread