Divx plugin for firefox - Slackware

This is a discussion on Divx plugin for firefox - Slackware ; I am usually online looking at sites most often have embeded videos. A lot of those videos are in divx format and I can't seem to find the plugins. Does anyone knows if there is a divx plugin for firefox ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Divx plugin for firefox

    I am usually online looking at sites most often have embeded videos. A
    lot of those videos are in divx format and I can't seem to find the
    plugins. Does anyone knows if there is a divx plugin for firefox for
    linux.

  2. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:

    mplayer + plugin should play it. I get the plugin from linuxpackages.

    --
    B.Hoffmann

  3. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Aug 30, 3:45 pm, "B.Hoffmann" wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:
    >
    > mplayer + plugin should play it. I get the plugin from linuxpackages.
    >
    > --
    > B.Hoffmann

    Thanks.I have mplayer but not installed so, I will go and do that.

  4. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    Op Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:45:16 +0000, schreef B.Hoffmann:

    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:
    >
    > mplayer + plugin should play it. I get the plugin from linuxpackages.

    I have mplayer + plugin installed but i get prompted to install a plugin.
    And that one isn't for Linux .

    How can i get Firefox to use the mplayer-plugin ?

  5. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Aug 30, 4:21 pm, frz wrote:
    > On Aug 30, 3:45 pm, "B.Hoffmann" wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:

    > > mplayer + plugin should play it. I get the plugin from linuxpackages.

    > > --
    > > B.Hoffmann

    > Thanks.I have mplayer but not installed so, I will go and do that.

    Why is mplayer such a task to intall? I downloaded the source, two
    skins and essential codecs. I created /usr/local/lib/codecs folder and
    move the essentials there. I can't figure out how to intergrate the
    skins into the mplayer source installation. At the make install of the
    source file I get two errors that make install cannot find some files
    in the installation folder and then exists. I don't know why, I
    following the instructions from the installation doc.

  6. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    frz wrote:
    > Why is mplayer such a task to intall?

    Your problems seems to come from some quirks that I have not seen. I
    personally find that the biggest problem with installing MPlayer is that
    you want a full featured version if you do the job to compile it. That
    means downloading and compiling a lot of libraries.

    > At the make install of the source file I get two errors that make
    > install cannot find some files in the installation folder and then
    > exists. I don't know why, I following the instructions from the
    > installation doc.

    To be able to recreate my installations I wrote a tool I call MPlayer.
    With that I am now able to simply type:

    make MPlayer install

    And watch the Makefile download, compile and install MPlayer with all its
    dependencies. You might want to try makepack to get MPlayer installed. I
    have not written any rule files for skins, but I don't think that would be
    a big problem. Makepack is avaiable from http://makepack.sourceforge.net/

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  7. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:30:42 +0000, frz wrote:

    > On Aug 30, 4:21 pm, frz wrote:
    >> On Aug 30, 3:45 pm, "B.Hoffmann" wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:

    >> > mplayer + plugin should play it. I get the plugin from linuxpackages.

    >> > --
    >> > B.Hoffmann

    >> Thanks.I have mplayer but not installed so, I will go and do that.

    > Why is mplayer such a task to intall?

    Because your keyboard's got a b0rken 'S' key?-)

    > I downloaded the source, two skins
    > and essential codecs. I created /usr/local/lib/codecs folder and move
    > the essentials there. I can't figure out how to intergrate the skins
    > into the mplayer source installation.

    Why would you "integrate" it in the source installation?
    You just need to tell the 'configure' part what's the repos.
    for it, approx. like for the special fonts.

    > At the make install of the source
    > file I get two errors that make install cannot find some files in the
    > installation folder and then exists. I don't know why,

    And, as we can't see the printout of those two errors from here
    we just don't know better ;-)

    > I following the
    > instructions from the installation doc.

    Ah! Got the culprit, your keyboard dit it again and
    you lost the _'_ and _m_ keys (seems the 'a' key's safe for
    the moment but, please, take care!-)

  8. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Aug 31, 2:24 pm, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:30:42 +0000, frz wrote:

    > >> Thanks.I have mplayer but not installed so, I will go and do that.

    > > Why is mplayer such a task to intall?

    > Because your keyboard's got a b0rken 'S' key?-)
    >
    > > I downloaded the source, two skins
    > > and essential codecs. I created /usr/local/lib/codecs folder and move
    > > the essentials there. I can't figure out how to intergrate the skins
    > > into the mplayer source installation.

    > Why would you "integrate" it in the source installation?
    > You just need to tell the 'configure' part what's the repos.
    > for it, approx. like for the special fonts.
    >
    > > At the make install of the source
    > > file I get two errors that make install cannot find some files in the
    > > installation folder and then exists. I don't know why,

    > And, as we can't see the printout of those two errors from here
    > we just don't know better ;-)
    >
    > > I following the
    > > instructions from the installation doc.

    > Ah! Got the culprit, your keyboard dit it again and
    > you lost the _'_ and _m_ keys (seems the 'a' key's safe for
    > the moment but, please, take care!-)

    I know I have to try to do these things while I am online to post the
    errors to be more clear. Next time.

  9. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    cashmir wrote:
    > Op Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:45:16 +0000, schreef B.Hoffmann:
    >
    >> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:
    >>
    >> mplayer + plugin should play it. I get the plugin from linuxpackages.

    > I have mplayer + plugin installed but i get prompted to install a plugin.
    > And that one isn't for Linux .
    >
    > How can i get Firefox to use the mplayer-plugin ?

    Does Firefox show it when you visit 'aboutlugins'?
    Are a bunch of mplayer-plugin files in ~/.mozilla/plugins ?

    - Daniel

  10. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:30:42 +0000, frz wrote:

    > On Aug 30, 4:21 pm, frz wrote:
    >> On Aug 30, 3:45 pm, "B.Hoffmann" wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:

    > Why is mplayer such a task to intall? I downloaded the source, two
    > skins and essential codecs. I created /usr/local/lib/codecs folder and
    > move the essentials there. I can't figure out how to intergrate the
    > skins into the mplayer source installation. At the make install of the
    > source file I get two errors that make install cannot find some files
    > in the installation folder and then exists. I don't know why, I
    > following the instructions from the installation doc.

    Did you copy a mplayer font to /usr/local/share/mplayer/font? Assuming
    that mplayer is installed in /usr/local/. You can put the skins in
    /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin.

    Hope this helps.

    jamess

  11. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:31:03 +0000, frz wrote:

    > I know I have to try to do these things while I am online to post the
    > errors to be more clear. Next time.

    Perhaps configure.log will have those errors. Please don't post the
    entire log file, though.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  12. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Sep 1, 4:54 am, Chick Tower wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:31:03 +0000, frz wrote:
    > > I know I have to try to do these things while I am online to post the
    > > errors to be more clear. Next time.

    > Perhaps configure.log will have those errors. Please don't post the
    > entire log file, though.
    >
    > --
    > Chick Tower
    >
    > For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

    error message atfer I pass the make command;
    make [2]: Entering directory 'MPlayer-1.0rc1/vidix/drivers'
    cc -shared cyberblade_vid.o -L../libdha -ldha -lm -wl, -soname,
    cyberblade_vid.so -o cyberblade_vid.so
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/../../../../i486-slackware-
    linux/bin/ld:
    cannot find -ldha
    collect2: ld returned 1 exist status
    make [2]: *** [cyberblade_vid.so] error 1
    make [2]: leaving directory '/mplayer-1.0rc1/vidix/drivers'
    make [1]: *** [do_drivers] error 2
    make [1]: Leaving directory '/MPlayer-1.0rc1/vidix'
    make: *** [vidix/libvidix.a] error 2

  13. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Sep 1, 1:13 am, james wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:30:42 +0000, frz wrote:

    > > Why is mplayer such a task to intall? I downloaded the source, two
    > > skins and essential codecs. I created /usr/local/lib/codecs folder and
    > > move the essentials there. I can't figure out how to intergrate the
    > > skins into the mplayer source installation. At the make install of the
    > > source file I get two errors that make install cannot find some files
    > > in the installation folder and then exists. I don't know why, I
    > > following the instructions from the installation doc.

    > Did you copy a mplayer font to /usr/local/share/mplayer/font? Assuming
    > that mplayer is installed in /usr/local/. You can put the skins in
    > /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > jamess

    Thanks, I will do that when I get mplayer to install.

  14. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    Op Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:38:38 -0400, schreef D Herring:

    > cashmir wrote:
    >> Op Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:45:16 +0000, schreef B.Hoffmann:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:12:22 +0000, frz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> mplayer + plugin should play it. I get the plugin from linuxpackages.

    >> I have mplayer + plugin installed but i get prompted to install a plugin.
    >> And that one isn't for Linux .
    >>
    >> How can i get Firefox to use the mplayer-plugin ?

    > Does Firefox show it when you visit 'aboutlugins'?
    > Are a bunch of mplayer-plugin files in ~/.mozilla/plugins ?
    >
    > - Daniel

    Yip, the plugins are there.

    I found on the web the advice to add :

    xx:video/divx:divxIVX:$

    ....to the end of the mplayer-list in ~/.mozilla.firefox/pluginreg.dat

    ( "xx" being the next number. )
    Also increase the number at the start of the list by 1.

    That made things going but now it's crasching after some time.
    Could be a memory-problem ( i've only 512M ).

    But i wonder why they don't have a simple gui to change those settings.
    I think this is a poor way to make changes.

    But thanks anyway.

  15. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    * cashmir :
    [ ... Firefox + mplayerplug-in ... ]
    > Yip, the plugins are there.

    [ ... modifying '~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat' ... ]
    > That made things going but now it's crasching after some time.
    > Could be a memory-problem ( i've only 512M ).

    Just now found the following solution having a missing DivX plugin with
    Firefox and mplayerplug-in.

    You need the files 'mplayerplug-in.conf' and 'mplayerplug-in.types'
    installed either globally ('/etc' ...) or locally ('~/.mozilla' or
    '~/.mplayer'). Your local configuration overrides any global
    configuration. Then modify 'mplayerplug-in.conf' so that it contains
    the following line:

    use-mimetypes=1

    Close all running instances of Firefox and remove your
    '~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat' file. Start Firefox again. You
    should now find DivX among the supported types in aboutlugins.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  16. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Sep 1, 7:54 am, Chick Tower wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:31:03 +0000, frz wrote:
    > > I know I have to try to do these things while I am online to post the
    > > errors to be more clear. Next time.

    > Perhaps configure.log will have those errors. Please don't post the
    > entire log file, though.
    >
    > --
    > Chick Tower
    >
    > For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

    I think now that my problem may be with the unpacking of the tar.bz2
    file. I gonna redownload it and try again. Thanks

  17. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    frz wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 7:54 am, Chick Tower wrote:
    >> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:31:03 +0000, frz wrote:
    >>> I know I have to try to do these things while I am online to post the
    >>> errors to be more clear. Next time.

    >> Perhaps configure.log will have those errors. Please don't post the
    >> entire log file, though.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Chick Tower
    >>
    >> For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

    > I think now that my problem may be with the unpacking of the tar.bz2
    > file. I gonna redownload it and try again. Thanks

    And that work. I now have mplayer install. I did a mistake the first
    time around unpacking the file. I have re-download the skins as well.

  18. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    frz wrote:
    > frz wrote:
    >> I think now that my problem may be with the unpacking of the tar.bz2
    >> file. I gonna redownload it and try again. Thanks
    >>

    > And that work. I now have mplayer install. I did a mistake the first
    > time around unpacking the file. I have re-download the skins as well.

    Not sure what happened, but the best ways to extract "mplayer.tar.bz2"
    is to simply "tar xf mplayer.tar.bz2"; modern versions of tar can
    autodetect the compression. To list the files (without extracting),
    the command is "tar tf mplayer.tar.bz2".

    - Daniel

  19. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Sep 4, 10:14 pm, D Herring wrote:
    > frz wrote:
    > > frz wrote:
    > >> I think now that my problem may be with the unpacking of the tar.bz2
    > >> file. I gonna redownload it and try again. Thanks

    > > And that work. I now have mplayer install. I did a mistake the first
    > > time around unpacking the file. I have re-download the skins as well.

    > Not sure what happened, but the best ways to extract "mplayer.tar.bz2"
    > is to simply "tar xf mplayer.tar.bz2"; modern versions of tar can
    > autodetect the compression. To list the files (without extracting),
    > the command is "tar tf mplayer.tar.bz2".
    >
    > - Daniel

    Really, I was only going by the book using the tar -xvjf
    mplayer.tar.bz2. The first time I did the command wrong and it gave me
    an error I had ignored, didn't know that the unpack folser would
    actually be incomplete. It was also the same thing for the skins that
    I had unpacked at the same time which is why I re-download them all.

    I am having only one problem now with they gui. I extracted the
    default blue skin and copied it over to /mplayer/skins/default/skin as
    indicated from the manual but, I am getting the error that the folder
    is unreadeable, under user or root. How can that be?

  20. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    frz wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 10:14 pm, D Herring wrote:
    >> frz wrote:
    >>> And that work. I now have mplayer install. I did a mistake the first
    >>> time around unpacking the file. I have re-download the skins as well.

    >> Not sure what happened, but the best ways to extract "mplayer.tar.bz2"
    >> is to simply "tar xf mplayer.tar.bz2"; modern versions of tar can
    >> autodetect the compression. To list the files (without extracting),
    >> the command is "tar tf mplayer.tar.bz2".
    >>
    >> - Daniel

    > Really, I was only going by the book using the tar -xvjf
    > mplayer.tar.bz2. The first time I did the command wrong and it gave me
    > an error I had ignored, didn't know that the unpack folser would
    > actually be incomplete. It was also the same thing for the skins that
    > I had unpacked at the same time which is why I re-download them all.
    >
    > I am having only one problem now with they gui. I extracted the
    > default blue skin and copied it over to /mplayer/skins/default/skin as
    > indicated from the manual but, I am getting the error that the folder
    > is unreadeable, under user or root. How can that be?

    Are the permissions correct?

    Here's one way to make a bad directory and fix it:
    > mkdir testdir
    > chmod 644 testdir
    > cd testdir

    cd: testdir: Permission denied