Divx plugin for firefox - Slackware

This is a discussion on Divx plugin for firefox - Slackware ; Responding to D Herring... [...] >> >> I am having only one problem now with they gui. I extracted the >> default blue skin and copied it over to /mplayer/skins/default/skin as >> indicated from the manual but, I am getting ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    Responding to D Herring...

    [...]
    >> I am having only one problem now with they gui. I extracted the
    >> default blue skin and copied it over to /mplayer/skins/default/skin as
    >> indicated from the manual but, I am getting the error that the folder
    >> is unreadeable, under user or root. How can that be?

    I just dropped my skins into /home/USER/.mplayer/skins

    and simlinked the "Blue" skin dir as "default".

    Not sure if this is the "official" way, but it worked for me.

    --
    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  2. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Sep 6, 12:22 am, D Herring wrote:
    > frz wrote:
    > >> Not sure what happened, but the best ways to extract "mplayer.tar.bz2"
    > >> is to simply "tar xf mplayer.tar.bz2"; modern versions of tar can
    > >> autodetect the compression. To list the files (without extracting),
    > >> the command is "tar tf mplayer.tar.bz2".

    > >> - Daniel

    > > Really, I was only going by the book using the tar -xvjf
    > > mplayer.tar.bz2. The first time I did the command wrong and it gave me
    > > an error I had ignored, didn't know that the unpack folser would
    > > actually be incomplete. It was also the same thing for the skins that
    > > I had unpacked at the same time which is why I re-download them all.

    > > I am having only one problem now with they gui. I extracted the
    > > default blue skin and copied it over to /mplayer/skins/default/skin as
    > > indicated from the manual but, I am getting the error that the folder
    > > is unreadeable, under user or root. How can that be?

    > Are the permissions correct?
    >
    > Here's one way to make a bad directory and fix it:
    > > mkdir testdir
    > > chmod 644 testdir
    > > cd testdir

    > cd: testdir: Permission denied
    > > chmod 755 testdir
    > > cd testdir

    > Are you out of disk space?
    > > df

    > should show Use% below 100%
    >
    > - Daniel

    Sorry I haven't reply earlier but, I am not out of disk space. I am at
    60%. I think its a permission issue since I had create all new
    directory with root. ls -l shows
    drwxr-xr-r 3 root root 4096 2007-09-04 23:33 Blue

  3. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > * cashmir :
    > [ ... Firefox + mplayerplug-in ... ]
    >> Yip, the plugins are there.

    > [ ... modifying '~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat' ... ]
    >> That made things going but now it's crasching after some time.
    >> Could be a memory-problem ( i've only 512M ).

    > Just now found the following solution having a missing DivX plugin with
    > Firefox and mplayerplug-in.
    >
    > You need the files 'mplayerplug-in.conf' and 'mplayerplug-in.types'
    > installed either globally ('/etc' ...) or locally ('~/.mozilla' or
    > '~/.mplayer'). Your local configuration overrides any global
    > configuration. Then modify 'mplayerplug-in.conf' so that it contains
    > the following line:
    >
    > use-mimetypes=1
    >
    > Close all running instances of Firefox and remove your
    > '~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat' file. Start Firefox again. You
    > should now find DivX among the supported types in aboutlugins.

    I have just did a success install of this plugin but, it doesn't work
    under user. It works fine under root.

  4. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    I have no fonts in /usr/local/share/mplayer/font

  5. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Sep 18, 8:46 pm, frz wrote:
    > James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > > * cashmir :
    > > [ ... Firefox + mplayerplug-in ... ]
    > >> Yip, the plugins are there.

    > > [ ... modifying '~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat' ... ]
    > >> That made things going but now it's crasching after some time.
    > >> Could be a memory-problem ( i've only 512M ).

    > > Just now found the following solution having a missing DivX plugin with
    > > Firefox and mplayerplug-in.

    > > You need the files 'mplayerplug-in.conf' and 'mplayerplug-in.types'
    > > installed either globally ('/etc' ...) or locally ('~/.mozilla' or
    > > '~/.mplayer'). Your local configuration overrides any global
    > > configuration. Then modify 'mplayerplug-in.conf' so that it contains
    > > the following line:

    > > use-mimetypes=1

    > > Close all running instances of Firefox and remove your
    > > '~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat' file. Start Firefox again. You
    > > should now find DivX among the supported types in aboutlugins.

    > I have just did a success install of this plugin but, it doesn't work
    > under user. It works fine under root.- Hide quoted text -

    How do I make the plugin work under user now that its install and
    working perfectly. Is that another permissions issue
    ? I am seeing that alot every time I install something. I think I know
    what went wrong but, don't mind getting the input you guys have on it
    anyway. Thanks

  6. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    * frz :
    > On Sep 18, 8:46 pm, frz wrote:
    >> James Michael Fultz wrote:
    >> > * cashmir :
    >> > [ ... Firefox + mplayerplug-in ... ]

    [ ... ]
    >> I have just did a success install of this plugin but, it doesn't work
    >> under user. It works fine under root.- Hide quoted text -

    > How do I make the plugin work under user now that its install and
    > working perfectly. Is that another permissions issue ? I am seeing
    > that alot every time I install something. I think I know what went
    > wrong but, don't mind getting the input you guys have on it anyway.
    > Thanks

    Permissions may be an issue. Check the permissions on the plugin files
    and ensure that they are world-readable.

    If you made changes to the global 'mplayerplug-in.conf' (in '/etc'),
    that should be fine. Otherwise, be sure that there is a copy in your
    user's home directory. If there is a copy in root's home directory,
    that only affects the functionality of the plugin for root.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  7. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    On Sep 20, 8:19 am, James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > * frz :

    > [ ... ]
    > >> I have just did a success install of this plugin but, it doesn't work
    > >> under user. It works fine under root.- Hide quoted text -

    > > How do I make the plugin work under user now that its install and
    > > working perfectly. Is that another permissions issue ? I am seeing
    > > that alot every time I install something. I think I know what went
    > > wrong but, don't mind getting the input you guys have on it anyway.
    > > Thanks

    > Permissions may be an issue. Check the permissions on the plugin files
    > and ensure that they are world-readable.
    >
    > If you made changes to the global 'mplayerplug-in.conf' (in '/etc'),
    > that should be fine. Otherwise, be sure that there is a copy in your
    > user's home directory. If there is a copy in root's home directory,
    > that only affects the functionality of the plugin for root.
    >
    > --
    > James Michael Fultz
    > Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

    Well, I am glad I got that part working now. It was before this reply
    so I didn't go this way. I reinstalled the plugin under user using the
    super user mode and it was a success along with the flash player
    plugin. Thanks for the reply.

  8. Re: Divx plugin for firefox

    The file ~/.mozilla.firefox/pluginreg.dat is auto-generated everytime
    Firefox starts. I modified it and added another module file
    (mplayerplug-in-dvx.so but it didn't work after I restarted Firefox.
    However I did add the line xx:video/divx:divxIVX:$ at the end of
    mplayerplug-in-wmp and it worked. I haven't restarted the browser yet
    so I don't know if it will work after I do that.

    I installed mplayerplug-in through the package manager in Ubuntu and I
    found nothing for divx support in packages. Maybe Ubuntu people can
    make it a module package or something. I am playing a video on stage6
    as I write this. It hasn't crashed on me yet .. but then again I JUST
    got it to work.

    At first, I tried the use-mimetypes=1 in the config file of mplayer
    and that didn't work. So, I tried adding the divx line to Firefox
    plugin page and it worked. I don't know if it was the combination of
    both of the things that got it to work or if it was just the
    modification of the pluginreg.dat file.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2