Slackpkg vs installpkg - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackpkg vs installpkg - Slackware ; My system is a plain vanilla 11.0. I have: / /dev/hda1 /home /dev/hdb (raw device) /tmp /dev/hdd (raw device) I have configured slackpkg to download packages to /tmp instead of the default location. I have instructed slackpkg to install two ...

  1. Slackpkg vs installpkg

    My system is a plain vanilla 11.0.

    I have:

    / /dev/hda1
    /home /dev/hdb (raw device)
    /tmp /dev/hdd (raw device)

    I have configured slackpkg to download packages to /tmp instead of the
    default location.

    I have instructed slackpkg to install two amarok versions, so it
    downloaded the packages
    to /tmp (hdd) and installed them to hda1. Final result:
    hdd = +34 MB
    hda1= +56 MB

    Where do those extra 22 MB come from?

    The I have cleared /tmp, unistalled the packages, instructed slackpkg
    to dowload the packages
    only (slackpkg install amarok); then I have manually istalled the
    packages with installpkg.

    Result:
    hdd= +34 MB
    hda1= +33 MB

    Installpkg comes out as a real winner (23 MB less than slackpkg).
    I just wonder where that extra dirt comes from (or goes to).
    What do you think? Maybe /var/log ?

    Thank you

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  2. Re: Slackpkg vs installpkg

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:20:35 -0700, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    > Installpkg comes out as a real winner (23 MB less than slackpkg). I
    > just wonder where that extra dirt comes from (or goes to). What do
    > you think?
    > Maybe /var/log ?

    Not exactly sure what you mean so here goes a shotgun answer. Check
    /var/log/packages for slackpkg. Open the file with a test editor and
    hunt down the files it installs.

    Might try slocate also.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net