    cordially, as always,

    rm

  2. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    On 2007-08-30, Realto Margarino wrote:
    > What hardware? video card and tv tuner?

    http://www.byopvr.com/

    You might try actually looking.

    nb

  3. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:26:11 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > What hardware? video card and tv tuner?

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he mounted Margarine Boy from behind.

  4. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    notbob says:
    >On 2007-08-30, Realto Margarino wrote:
    >> What hardware? video card and tv tuner?

    >http://www.byopvr.com/

    >You might try actually looking.

    We just did look. And the site you cited spends more time talking
    about what it is, it is going to talk about, than it actually talks
    about what it is supposed to talk about.

    Under "linux", for example, we get this:
    ------------------------

    Introduction

    Linux (known also as GNU/Linux) is an Open Source operating system
    for PCs and many other platforms. It has a reputation for being
    reliable, powerful, low cost and secure.

    As a clone of Unix, Linux adopts the K.I.S.S. or "Keep It Simple,
    Stupid" philosophy, this is summarized in the motto "Do one thing,
    do it well." Components are are loosely coupled, so if one part is
    unsuitable another can often be substituted from a good selection.
    As a result many find Linux more customizable and powerful than
    other, more closed platforms.

    Being Open Source, Linux is part of a thriving ecosystem of Free and
    Libre software. Such software is typically free-as-in-beer to
    download, use and share. Not only is this legal, it's encouraged.

    Linux is well suited to use in a PVR because of it's reliability,
    adaptability & because it's fun to play with. Hardware support is
    wide & comprehensive - especially on older hardware that would would
    be underpowered for Windows Media Center. Linux PVRs are also free
    of DRM & subscription fees.

    This is just a waste of time.

    Since the Hauppauge win-tv 150 card does not contain either a TV out
    or an S-video out, it will have to be coupled with a graphics card
    that does. We currently use the intel motherboard i810 graphics
    garbage and it doesn't have TV-Out or S-Video out, either.

    So, we think that we will have to go with an ATI Radeon 1650 Pro
    which has both TV-Out and S-Video. Does anyone know of a cheaper,
    suitable card combo than these two?

    Does anyone know how much on board ram the graphics card is going to
    need?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  5. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:35:53 +0000, Realto Margarino trolled:

    > Does anyone know how much on board ram the graphics card is going to
    > need?

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he mounted Margarine Boy from behind.

  6. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Since the Hauppauge win-tv 150 card does not contain either a TV out
    > or an S-video out, it will have to be coupled with a graphics card
    > that does. *We currently use the intel motherboard i810 graphics
    > garbage and it doesn't have TV-Out or S-Video out, either.
    >
    > So, we think that we will have to go with an ATI Radeon 1650 Pro
    > which has both TV-Out and S-Video. *Does anyone know of a cheaper,
    > suitable card combo than these two?
    >
    > Does anyone know how much on board ram the graphics card is going to
    > need?

    If you want the analog reception that the pvr-150 has but also want tv-out I
    would suggest the pvr-350.

    If Canada is moving to atsc in 2009 like the united states. I would purchase
    something like the HD-5500. This card does not do tv out, but the new tv
    sets that support hdtv usually have a vga input which would allow you to
    use your current video card to play on a new tv.

    Ed

  7. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:26:11 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > What hardware? video card and tv tuner?
    >
    > Usual trolls and windoze comments will be ignored. (of course that
    > won't stop some of you geniuses (genii?)
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    I've been running KnoppMyth for a couple of years now
    (http://mysettopbox.tv/) using Hauppauge PVR-150/PVR-350 and
    Dvico Fusion HDTV Lite tuners with nVidia-based graphics (FX5500, 6200LE,
    onboard 6150 on the Asus M2NPV-VM) and the proprietary nVidia drivers.

    Scott McMillan

  8. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    Ed Wilson says:

    >If you want the analog reception that the pvr-150 has but also want
    >tv-out I would suggest the pvr-350.

    How about the pvr-250? From what we see the only difference,
    besides 50 bucks, is the absence of FM Radio from the pvr-250. The
    only input we care about are cable and S-Video.

    >If Canada is moving to atsc in 2009 like the united states.

    Not sure what you mean by "moving to." Canada supposedly adopted
    the ATSC in 1997, although you probably mean something different.

    >I would purchase something like the HD-5500. This card does not do
    >tv out, but the new tv sets that support hdtv usually have a vga
    >input which would allow you to use your current video card to play
    >on a new tv.

    Just looked up the HD-5500 and it is cheap. Specially designed for
    linux, too. But we would prefer a card that would work for windoze
    as well. On the site we looked at, there is no mention of windoze
    support. But we shall look further.

    Thanks for your comments.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  9. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    scott says:

    >I've been running KnoppMyth for a couple of years now
    >(http://mysettopbox.tv/) using Hauppauge PVR-150/PVR-350 and Dvico
    >Fusion HDTV Lite tuners with nVidia-based graphics (FX5500, 6200LE,
    >onboard 6150 on the Asus M2NPV-VM) and the proprietary nVidia
    >drivers.

    Thanks. We shall check this stuff out.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Ed Wilson says:
    >
    >>If you want the analog reception that the pvr-150 has but also want
    >>tv-out I would suggest the pvr-350.

    > How about the pvr-250? From what we see the only difference,
    > besides 50 bucks, is the absence of FM Radio from the pvr-250. The
    > only input we care about are cable and S-Video.

    The pvr-250 does not have the tv output capabilities you said you would
    like.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare/compare_pvr.html
    http://www.diy-pvr-dvr-htpc.com/inde..._PVR350_PVR500

    >>If Canada is moving to atsc in 2009 like the united states.

    > Not sure what you mean by "moving to." Canada supposedly adopted
    > the ATSC in 1997, although you probably mean something different.

    The united states have already adopted ATSC as well. The bigger problem is
    not that the ATSC is coming but that the NTSC is leaving, as in the FCC has
    stated that they will no longer allow the old NTSC broadcasts after
    February 17 of 2009.
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...172009date.htm

    > Just looked up the HD-5500 and it is cheap. Specially designed for
    > linux, too. But we would prefer a card that would work for windoze
    > as well. On the site we looked at, there is no mention of windoze
    > support. But we shall look further.

    They have drivers for 2000 and xp.
    http://www.pchdtv.com/faq.php#faq0000005

    --
    Ed

  11. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:26:11 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > What hardware? video card and tv tuner?
    >
    > Usual trolls and windoze comments will be ignored. (of course that
    > won't stop some of you geniuses (genii?)
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Generally, 'finest' and 'cheapest' do not co-exist.

  12. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    Ed Wilson says:

    >>>If Canada is moving to atsc in 2009 like the united states.

    >> Not sure what you mean by "moving to." Canada supposedly adopted
    >> the ATSC in 1997, although you probably mean something different.

    >The united states have already adopted ATSC as well. The bigger
    >problem is not that the ATSC is coming but that the NTSC is
    >leaving, as in the FCC has stated that they will no longer allow
    >the old NTSC broadcasts after February 17 of 2009.

    Are you saying that all of those old NTSC TVs are going to be
    paperweights after February 17, 2009?

    >http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...172009date.htm

    Ah, so you can still use the old TVs as long as you have a digital
    box. That's not so bad. We've got a couple of those around. We
    have a cable company PVR and we were thinking of ducking that
    25/month rental fee they charge us.

    >> Just looked up the HD-5500 and it is cheap. Specially designed for
    >> linux, too. But we would prefer a card that would work for windoze
    >> as well. On the site we looked at, there is no mention of windoze
    >> support. But we shall look further.

    >They have drivers for 2000 and xp.
    >http://www.pchdtv.com/faq.php#faq0000005

    Good stuff.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  13. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    ray says:
    >On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:26:11 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    >> What hardware? video card and tv tuner?
    >>
    >> Usual trolls and windoze comments will be ignored. (of course that
    >> won't stop some of you geniuses (genii?)
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm

    >Generally, 'finest' and 'cheapest' do not co-exist.

    ok. How about a "good cheap one?"

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  14. Re: Finest, cheapest, PVR for linux?

    Realto Margarino wrote:
    > ray says:
    >> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:26:11 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    >>> What hardware? video card and tv tuner?
    >>>
    >>> Usual trolls and windoze comments will be ignored. (of course that
    >>> won't stop some of you geniuses (genii?)
    >>>
    >>> cordially, as always,
    >>>
    >>> rm

    >> Generally, 'finest' and 'cheapest' do not co-exist.

    > ok. How about a "good cheap one?"
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Very old saying in tech. support engineering:

    cheap fast good

    choose two, can't possibly get all three.

    Much joy was had by funloving engineers, simply observing the ineptitude
    that ensued.

+ Reply to Thread