New Pan - Slackware

This is a discussion on New Pan - Slackware ; On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:57:39 -0500, SuperDaemon wrote: > Dead Paul wrote: > >> What is so bad about the new version of pan if you please? >> >> > I had a hard time searching for messages or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: New Pan

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:57:39 -0500, SuperDaemon wrote:

    > Dead Paul wrote:
    >
    >> What is so bad about the new version of pan if you please?
    >>

    > I had a hard time searching for messages or groups using search bar in
    > New Pan.

    How so? I had the, personal, feeling that was one of the parts
    (with memory usage improvements [though I think the present
    "monolinethreading" is a mistake]) that were improved widely in
    the 0.1xx?

    Note, that the 0.132 suffers of a major weakness (to talk Pol.Kor...)
    when dealing with filtering, including prefilters if you configured
    your client to use it.

    I personally switched from 0.14.91 (which I liked a lot) to 0.100 series
    using the two of them as long as I needed, first to 'port' the settings I
    wanted to port, and after that to see that the 'pros' and 'cons after
    some time were in favor to definitly switch to the 0.13x series.

    I reckon that's still in 'dev' and I also have had bad feelings on
    some 'cosmetic' over 'functional' choices but I can see Charles is
    really doing a lot of hard work (and using gnome libs is not as
    easy as eating snails ;-)

    Now, if you think you found out some idea that would help to
    identify remaining problems or give hints to the dev[s], please
    goforit and register to the pan ML and/or go and pin it
    in the (atrocious to me) Bugzilla interface you'll find on
    the pan.rebelbase site links page ;-)

  2. Re: New Pan

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:18:53 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:56:45 -0500, SuperDaemon wrote:
    >
    >>> hmm, in my case new pan is by several orders of magnitude better than
    >>> old series. using 0.132, no crashes, fast and great.

    >> Three things I did after installing Slackware 12, was to remove new
    >> Pan, Install older version of Pan and installed xmms. I had a hard time
    >> searching for messages or groups using search bar in New Pan.

    > BTW, I'm with you guys on the "New Pan Sucks" bandwagon.
    >
    > You mention XMMS...My Slack 12 is still in the "ongoing project" mode on
    > a spare partition.
    >
    > Thing I like about XMMS is the layout and size mainly but it also has
    > features I like - The equalizer, search function and separate playlist
    > window.
    >
    > When I set it up using the "Double Size" option that and aumix all fit
    > nicely on desktop #1 which is dedicated to music and audio control.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement that has roughly the
    > same size and layout? The others I've tried (all the usual suspects
    > included with KDE and Slack) are too big, too small or missing features.
    >
    > I know there are several players but I want one for which the size and
    > layout are my main desired features.

    You didn't list the "usual suspects" so I'll just have the
    feeble supposition you didn't try audacious?

    at the moment:
    ....slackware/xap/audacious-1.3.2-i486-1.tgz
    ..../slackware/xap/audacious-plugins-1.3.5-i486-1.tgz

  3. Re: New Pan

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:29:01 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:18:53 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > You didn't list the "usual suspects" so I'll just have the
    > feeble supposition you didn't try audacious?

    I agree, this seems like the natural successor.

    --
    B.Hoffmann

  4. Re: New Pan

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:29:01 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    > You didn't list the "usual suspects" so I'll just have the
    > feeble supposition you didn't try audacious?

    > at the moment:
    > ...slackware/xap/audacious-1.3.2-i486-1.tgz
    > .../slackware/xap/audacious-plugins-1.3.5-i486-1.tgz

    I should have mentioned I use version 11 so I didn't have it installed.
    Grabbed a package, built libmcs and am playing it now.

    Thanx. Looks like this will do.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: New Pan

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:18:53 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > BTW, I'm with you guys on the "New Pan Sucks" bandwagon.

    Well, I didn't say Pan 0.131 sucks. I just find it to be less useful than
    version 0.14.2.91.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  6. Re: New Pan

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:40:46 -0500, Chick Tower wrote:

    >> BTW, I'm with you guys on the "New Pan Sucks" bandwagon.

    > Well, I didn't say Pan 0.131 sucks. I just find it to be less useful than
    > version 0.14.2.91.

    OK. I'll say it alone - New Pan Sucks :-)

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: New Pan

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:53:57 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:40:46 -0500, Chick Tower wrote:
    >
    >>> BTW, I'm with you guys on the "New Pan Sucks" bandwagon.

    >> Well, I didn't say Pan 0.131 sucks. I just find it to be less useful than
    >> version 0.14.2.91.

    > OK. I'll say it alone - New Pan Sucks :-)

    I agree!!

    jamess

  8. Re: New Pan

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:21:00 -0500, Chick Tower wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:05:48 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >
    >> 2. Compile and install the _patched_ Pan sources from 11.0
    >> (source/xap/pan)
    >>
    >> There is one file in the source which needs to be patched. I found this
    >> patch here:
    >> http://ftp.riken.go.jp \
    >> /pub/Linux/gentoo/net-nntp/pan/files/pan-0.14.2.91-gcc4-2.patch

    > Thanks, Douglas. How were you able to find this patch?

    I started googling and looking at other GNU/Linux distributions for the
    code. I assumed that Pan might already have been fixed by another
    distribution which had previously switched to gcc 4. This is one way it
    pays to not be on the leading/bleeding edge- someone else has been
    down the road before and they have most likely left a helpful map.

    I was surprised the official source did not include the fix at some point.
    Did someone else take over development of Pan?

    I tried the new Pan and found it a bit too divergent from the old version
    for my taste. I would have preferred a followup version which was mostly
    similar, but with updated filters. For example, I can't automatically
    filter out the ongoing spam flood on comp.os.linux.misc using the
    available filter mechanism provided with the older Pan. A filter on IP
    address would be nice as a minimum tool. The "integrated" view of all
    available news servers in the new Pan was the deciding factor against
    using it. I want to see individual news servers represented as _separate_
    entities.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  9. Re: New Pan

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:15:38 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > I tried the new Pan and found it a bit too divergent from the old
    > version for my taste. I would have preferred a followup version which
    > was mostly similar, but with updated filters. For example, I can't
    > automatically filter out the ongoing spam flood on comp.os.linux.misc
    > using the available filter mechanism provided with the older Pan. A
    > filter on IP address would be nice as a minimum tool....

    Yeah, some time ago someone flooded one of the newsgroups I read and I
    found that Pan couldn't ignore the messages, even though they had
    easily-identifiable characteristics. I ended up writing a bash script
    that operated on the cached message files directly, using grep to identify
    the spam messages that were then moved into a junk folder. It didn't seem
    to hurt Pan, so I kept the script handy as an example for any future
    outbreaks.