Two Slackware V11 Questions - Slackware

This is a discussion on Two Slackware V11 Questions - Slackware ; Over the last couple of months I have built myself a mailserver using and old PC running Slack V11. It uses Fetchmail to get my e-mail (my ISP doesn't do SMTP delivery), Spamassassin to identify the spam, Procmail to sort ...

  1. Two Slackware V11 Questions

    Over the last couple of months I have built myself a mailserver using
    and old PC running Slack V11. It uses Fetchmail to get my e-mail (my ISP
    doesn't do SMTP delivery), Spamassassin to identify the spam, Procmail
    to sort it into folders and Sqirrelmail to present me with a spam free
    webmail. It all works rather well and I have lerned a lot doing it. I
    have however two little bits that need sorting out that I can't work out
    how to do.

    Spamassassin

    Each night I run a cron job to do an sa-update to get the latest rules.
    In order for them to become "active" I need to restart the spamd (I use
    the demonised version of Spamassassin), however I can't find a way to do
    it. I have tried a couple of different ways but I just get errors and no
    restart. Has anyone got a good way of restarting the spam daemon from
    within a cron job please ?

    Fetchmail

    I use Fetchmail to get my e-mail. Within the docs it gives fairly dire
    warnings not to run it as root so I normally log in after a re-boot as
    me (chris) and run it. This is a bit of a pain now I have a working
    system and it would be good to run it at boot. Is there a good way of
    running Fetchmail at boot with chris as the user rather than root ?

    Thanks in advance

    Chris Packman

    replace the .no.spamwith .co.uk to e-mail

  2. Re: Two Slackware V11 Questions

    On Tuesday 14 August 2007 3:30 pm Chris Packman wrote:

    > Each night I run a cron job to do an sa-update to get the latest rules.
    > In order for them to become "active" I need to restart the spamd (I use
    > the demonised version of Spamassassin), however I can't find a way to do
    > it. I have tried a couple of different ways but I just get errors and no
    > restart. Has anyone got a good way of restarting the spam daemon from
    > within a cron job please ?

    Not actually tried this from cron but start spamd like this
    /usr/bin/spamd -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid
    then stop it with
    kill $(cat /var/run/spamd.pid)

    > I use Fetchmail to get my e-mail. Within the docs it gives fairly dire
    > warnings not to run it as root so I normally log in after a re-boot as
    > me (chris) and run it. This is a bit of a pain now I have a working
    > system and it would be good to run it at boot. Is there a good way of
    > running Fetchmail at boot with chris as the user rather than root ?

    Something like this in rc.local?
    su - chris -c "start command"
    --
    Dave.
    dave (at) dhoulden (dot) demon (dot) co (dot) uk

  3. Re: Two Slackware V11 Questions

    Thanks for those Dave I will give them a go...

    Chris

    In <2616255.3bh5IYJZtN@news.dhoulden.dyndns.org> Dave wrote:
    > On Tuesday 14 August 2007 3:30 pm Chris Packman wrote:
    >
    >> Each night I run a cron job to do an sa-update to get the latest
    >> rules. In order for them to become "active" I need to restart the
    >> spamd (I use the demonised version of Spamassassin), however I can't
    >> find a way to do it. I have tried a couple of different ways but I
    >> just get errors and no restart. Has anyone got a good way of
    >> restarting the spam daemon from within a cron job please ?
    >>

    > Not actually tried this from cron but start spamd like this
    > /usr/bin/spamd -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid
    > then stop it with
    > kill $(cat /var/run/spamd.pid)
    >
    >> I use Fetchmail to get my e-mail. Within the docs it gives fairly
    >> dire warnings not to run it as root so I normally log in after a re-
    >> boot as me (chris) and run it. This is a bit of a pain now I have a
    >> working system and it would be good to run it at boot. Is there a
    >> good way of running Fetchmail at boot with chris as the user rather
    >> than root ?

    > Something like this in rc.local?
    > su - chris -c "start command"

+ Reply to Thread