Slackware on older machine - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware on older machine - Slackware ; Chaps, does from your experience would slackware 12.0 with Xfce (?spelling) be a reasonable runner on a K6 233 with 128MB ram? Suspect Openoffice would be a bit too heavy for this machine. Not sure about Koffice, suspect Abiword may ...

  1. Slackware on older machine

    Chaps,

    does from your experience would slackware 12.0 with Xfce (?spelling) be a
    reasonable runner on a K6 233 with 128MB ram? Suspect Openoffice would be
    a bit too heavy for this machine. Not sure about Koffice, suspect Abiword
    may be a go-er. Of course I could install an older Slack - but the word
    processing side has come on leaps and bounds in recent years.

    Did look at Damn-Small-Linux but didn't like the look of its windowmanager.
    I beleive Windowmaker may have a small footprint but I suspect that might
    be a bit harder to get on with for my father - the intended user.

    Either that or a 286 with WordPerfect 5.1 - but that would be great until
    someone wanted to print and I've thrown out all my old IDE network cards!

    BTW - just about to put the keyboard (16 years old) onto this machine as the
    old keyboard has lettering and a nice feel whereas this modern cheap one
    (most expensive wired keyboard from the supplier at a fiver) has half the
    letters worn off!

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Slackware on older machine

    Peter Chant wrote:

    >does from your experience would slackware 12.0 with Xfce (?spelling) be a
    >reasonable runner on a K6 233 with 128MB ram?

    A lot depends on your own definition of "reasonable." The good news
    is that you can test this yourself by running a live CD such as
    Slax or Knoppix. (Knoppix is fine for testing speedyness; distros
    with the same kernel and window manager don't have large differences
    in speed.)

    Memory for such systems is cheap, so I would advise bringing it up
    to 256K or 512K if the motherboard can handle larger memory sticks.

    --
    Guy Macon

+ Reply to Thread