Bootloader - Slackware

This is a discussion on Bootloader - Slackware ; I have been told that it would be better to use GRUB vs. LILO. I am currently using LILO and have been using it for 10 years. It sounds like GRUB has some advantages. Questions: 1. Does Slackware 11.0 ship ...

  1. Bootloader

    I have been told that it would be better to use GRUB vs. LILO. I am
    currently using LILO and have been using it for 10 years. It sounds like
    GRUB has some advantages.

    Questions:
    1. Does Slackware 11.0 ship with GRUB?

    2. Is it difficult to move to GRUB when currently using LILO?

    3. It is worth the effort to move to GRUB?

    4. Will GRUB help in any way to stop a system from being corrupted after
    a power outage where Linux is not shut down properly?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Bootloader

    On Aug 13, 1:01 pm, George wrote:
    > I have been told that it would be better to use GRUB vs. LILO. I am
    > currently using LILO and have been using it for 10 years. It sounds like
    > GRUB has some advantages.
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Does Slackware 11.0 ship with GRUB?

    No.

    > 2. Is it difficult to move to GRUB when currently using LILO?

    As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be difficult

    > 3. It is worth the effort to move to GRUB?

    Not that I can tell

    > 4. Will GRUB help in any way to stop a system from being corrupted after
    > a power outage where Linux is not shut down properly?

    No

    > Thanks

  3. Re: Bootloader

    George wrote:

    > 4. Will GRUB help in any way to stop a system from being corrupted after
    > a power outage where Linux is not shut down properly?

    That's what ext3 should do, not Grub.

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  4. Re: Bootloader

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:01:38 -0400, George wrote:

    > I have been told that it would be better to use GRUB vs. LILO. I am
    > currently using LILO and have been using it for 10 years. It sounds like
    > GRUB has some advantages.
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Does Slackware 11.0 ship with GRUB?

    Yes. Here's a mirror:
    http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla....0/extra/grub/

    > 2. Is it difficult to move to GRUB when currently using LILO?

    It /* shouldn't */ be too hard. Sometimes things fail to cooperate ;-\
    I always recommend installing to the MBR. If that is not possible, then
    create a boot CD-R as a secondary alternative. Installation on the
    partition only is not supported with some filesystems.

    > 3. It is worth the effort to move to GRUB?

    It depends on how often you change kernels, if you dual boot, or if you
    have a specific reason for switching to grub.

    > 4. Will GRUB help in any way to stop a system from being corrupted after
    > a power outage where Linux is not shut down properly?

    A failed powerdown should have no effect on grub. I base this on that
    as long as grub has been installed to disk (both the program, and the
    components of the loader itself), and disk buffers are flushed, then it
    is at a fixed location on the disk. The only way it can be damaged is if
    the filesystem indexes are damaged beyond repair (and grub cannot be
    located using them). Likewise, grub's stage1 loader at the MBR would
    only be broken if it had not been written correctly in the first place.

    Of course, any loader is subject to being broken by failed hardware (bad
    disk sectors.)

    --
    Douglas Mayne

    > Thanks

  5. Re: Bootloader

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:53:48 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >> 3. It is worth the effort to move to GRUB?
    >>

    > It depends on how often you change kernels, if you dual boot,

    How would GRUB help in those cases? LILO already allows one to do
    that simply.

    > or if you have a specific reason for switching to grub.

    The only real advantage of GRUB over LILO, in my opinion, is that
    GRUB can boot over a network, whereas LILO can't. All the other purported
    advantages are just cosmetic details.

  6. Re: Bootloader

  7. Re: Bootloader

    * K. Jennings :
    > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:53:48 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >>> 3. It is worth the effort to move to GRUB?
    >>>

    >> It depends on how often you change kernels, if you dual boot,

    > How would GRUB help in those cases? LILO already allows one to do
    > that simply.

    GRUB requires only updates to its configuration file to boot a new
    kernel whereas LILO requires running the "lilo" command to update
    bootloader code after its configuration file is changed. GRUB is more
    robust in the situation where you have directly replaced your old kernel
    image with a new one. Aditionally, you can boot any kernel image from
    GRUB's command prompt using the proper commands -- LILO can only boot
    pre-configured kernel images.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^